Pump approved

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the urine strips already iHs and this is what I found confusing also, I,ll ask the DSN next week about it and thankyou

Re ketone blood testing strips - as I understand it blood testing allows you to detect ketone levels earlier than urine testing and is able to give a more accurate reading so from that aspect would be beneficial. I've used a couple since I started on the pump and it was nice to have the reassurance that all was ok ☺

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
all this helps and thankyou

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
pump was delivered to the hospital today, the pimp your pump case was delivered yesterdayt and my DSN is sorting the test strips out with my GP and has 100 at the hospital to tide me over, my COPD started again on Friday and was at the Gp,s yesterday but did not want to use the steriods with having to keep a full diary of food intake, blood levels insulin given etc, but after talking with the my DSN this afternoon she said to take then so I was in good health before I start on the pump and just to write down the insulin I would have took and the actual dose taken being on the steriods, makes sense really and glad she told me to do this, ordered the think like a pancreas book aswell tonight ( I,m not a big reader and take things in alot better being shown) but both pumping insulin and think like a pancreas will sure come in handy I know.

Just wish Monday was over now

Reactions: 4 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Don't worry to much Gaz-M it's no so frightening as you are imagines,your pump team will help you and they won't let you go until you and they are happy you can cope.Good Wishes for Monday.

lely

pump was delivered to the hospital today, the pimp your pump case was delivered yesterdayt and my DSN is sorting the test strips out with my GP and has 100 at the hospital to tide me over, my COPD started again on Friday and was at the Gp,s yesterday but did not want to use the steriods with having to keep a full diary of food intake, blood levels insulin given etc, but after talking with the my DSN this afternoon she said to take then so I was in good health before I start on the pump and just to write down the insulin I would have took and the actual dose taken being on the steriods, makes sense really and glad she told me to do this, ordered the think like a pancreas book aswell tonight ( I,m not a big reader and take things in alot better being shown) but both pumping insulin and think like a pancreas will sure come in handy I know.

Just wish Monday was over now
I too have ordered 'pumping insulin'. But it's gonna be a week or so till I get it. I am so excited and nervous bout Monday, obviously your feeling the same Gaz-M. I've been on the animas Web pages and downloaded the owners booklet to see if I can make sense of anything, I'm not yet making sense of anything I guess you have to have the pump to help you along. Did you read the post noblehead left in comments on my post about the 'think like a pancreas ' from the integrated diabetes Web pages. It's a start for your reading while you wait for the book to arrive. 5 days to go. Worse than waiting for a birthday.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yeah nervous and excited at the same time (I was over the moon picking up my new prescrition stuff tonight and with the pimp your pump case yesterday) indeed but my DSN said when I told her about my first day back after a week off was " great you can use a temporary basal rate" which made me feel good :)

I,ll go look at your post as I did not see that bit, I'm sure we will both be good on the pump but its good to have someone to chat about it on here because I think it helps alot, plus 5 days before my birthday I am suicidal hahahaha (no longer a spring chicken) but I do know what you mean :D.

Once we have had the training we will do well lely, and its really good to have someone from here start on the same day and can bounce back at what its been like for them.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
just read that and it is very good information to have at hand

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@lely @Gaz-M, you'll both be fine and once you've been on the pump for a few months it will feel like you've been on it for a lifetime :)

Reactions: 6 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
thankyou noblehead, always good to have kind words and good faith from you :)

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have only been on my pump for 3 months but can't imagine being without it now. I don't even feel the need to have a shower when I do a set change as i always shower in the morning and set change in the evening so I have had the cannula attached constantly it just feels like part of me. Also if you are not so keen a reader there are lots and lots of you tube clips out there for all sorts of pump things, I had to watch the medtronic ones for quite a wee while to get the hang of filling a reservoir without bubbles - it's second nature now though!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have only been on my pump for 3 months but can't imagine being without it now. I don't even feel the need to have a shower when I do a set change as i always shower in the morning and set change in the evening so I have had the cannula attached constantly it just feels like part of me. Also if you are not so keen a reader there are lots and lots of you tube clips out there for all sorts of pump things, I had to watch the medtronic ones for quite a wee while to get the hang of filling a reservoir without bubbles - it's second nature now though!

I have done weeks of looking but it takes the doing to get used to it, but i know what you saying it all helps, I'm so glad I found this place just wish it was 20 years ago

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I need a it of advice if possible, I am supposed to be starting on the pump tomorrow but don't know wether I will as I have a chest infection and just finished a course of antibiotics and steroids today.
Anyway, I'm on tresiba and I'm not sure if I should take my dose tonight with it being in the system for so long, what would your do?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I need a it of advice if possible, I am supposed to be starting on the pump tomorrow but don't know wether I will as I have a chest infection and just finished a course of antibiotics and steroids today.
Anyway, I'm on tresiba and I'm not sure if I should take my dose tonight with it being in the system for so long, what would your do?

The pump DSN can start you on a TBR (temporary basal rate) if you still have basal insulin in your system, I took my lantus the night before starting on the pump.

iHs

I was advised to reduce my nightime levemir and omit taking the morning dose so that there would be hardly any background insulin working and I just had an omelette for breakfast so not much bolus working by the time I was coming home with pump connected.

Not sure about Tresiba but as it's action lasts a while, if you are sure that you will be going to the hospital tomorrow come what may, then it should be ok to omit tonight's dose and just get up in the night and bg test to see if you are ok or need to correct with pen. Hasn't the dsn given any guidance?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Not that I can remember @iHs I've got a terrible memory. I know that Tresiba works for around 48 hours and remains in the system for 72 hours, now even more confused , think I might just take half the dose. Thankyou again

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Never took any Tresiba in the end, blood sugar was okish at 8.5 this morning

Back home now with the pump fitted :)

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hope things are going well for you. you will be fine, good luck

lely

I've had the pump on since 11ish this morning. it wasn't too bad. Inset was painless and easy to use. But the filling of the cartridge, doing everything in correct order is gonna take some getting used to. It'll be like riding a bike soon. Feeling confident about it though.