1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pump approved

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Gaz-M, Nov 23, 2015.

1. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Maybe. I also wonder whether we react slightly differently to constant rapid insulin.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

yeah could well be that too, it kinda boggles the mind

3. irrationalJohn

irrationalJohn LADA · Well-Known Member

Here is my opinion.

Yes, it's always best to wait and see if there is a pattern before making longer term changes to things like basal which lurk in the background and can get forgotten. Proceeding cautiously is reasonable, no?

But on the other hand, wasn't part of the purpose of getting a pump to have more flexibility and to break out of the prison of being forced to "eat to your insulin"? I think when it is obvious that you are going hypo low then you should set a temp basal to reduce your basal. Why on earth would you want to continue to push insulin into your body when you are already either going hypo or know that you will be hypo not too long from now?

Another approach which might not occur to someone new to the pump is to do a temp basal when your pump shows that you probably still have Active Insulin but you are already in your target BG range and do not expect your BG to rise from a meal. Rather than eat to cover that pending active insulin, you can just temp reduce your basal and let the Active Insulin cover the basal.

Based on my experience, the most attractive thing about a Temporary Basal is that it is temporary. You set a time period and after that time period your basal rate pops back to the regular setting at that time of day. You don't have to worry about remembering to change it back. This just happens automagically when the clock runs out.

Just sayin', with a pump you have (other) options. That's sorta the point, no? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. lely

lely · Well-Known Member

@iHs. I have. Question about the vibe. I changed the battery about an hour after my meal, then went to check how much IOB was left and it said 0.00, Since its been two hours since meal and it's 4 hours for insulin to work I know there's still some at work but the pump isn't registering it. I just took battery out and replaced it when it alarmed for a low battery. Should I have used a particular procedure before removing the battery I can't seem to find the answer in the owners book.

5. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @lely if you change the battery with IOB then the IOB wont show but if you look in status menu 2 it will show last bolus given.
    Tip is to change the battery when no IOB

Look on page 12 of your manual ;)

#85 CarbsRok, Jan 5, 2016 at 9:58 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
  6. lely

lely · Well-Known Member

@CarbsRok I thought you said you had a vibe too trawling though past posts trying to find the one that said you did. thank you. Will know that for next time now.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You are more than welcome, I've had the 2020/vibe for about 4 1/2 years now.

Not sure if you noticed I stuck page no. on above post for reference.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lely

lely · Well-Known Member

I see it now, In the words of Homer DOH.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook