Dafne course

Rickmac1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Hope you're having a good Saturday!

I recently went for my six-monthly check up at Guy's Hospital and I was offered the chance to join a week long dafne course in January.

My only concern is that I don't want to take a week off work if it's not worthwhile - has anyone done this course, or a course like this? And, would you recommend it?

I've had the pump for quite a while now, and my last HBA was 9 so I guess something's got to change to help me get better control!

Thanks!

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
omg i was just going to ask about DAFNE course. Is there a certain age you have to be as in over 18?

Reactions: 2 people

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I did the program 18 months ago and my hba1c dropped from 9 to 7, much to the surprise of my endocrinologist who doubted the program. There is a lot of detail though that you need apply to help you manage your BGLs so learning is one of the keys of the course. Follow-up wither the instructors for 12 months post course is also really helpful. I have been a T1 for 24 years.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never understood why DAFNE should take a week. I'm on Basal/Bolus and never been on any diabetes courses and am still alive.

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm with you on that @Daibell. For many of us, a week seems a long time for the course. But don't forget that lowest common denominator is how the NHS has to be run.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
A week long course does require some commitment, DAFNE was indicated to me about 15 years ago but I could not take a whole week off at the time. However if you want to reduce your hba1c and will follow the course principles it is very worthwhile.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just do the BDEC course online, combine that with thos forum and a few weeks on a Freestyle Libre or another CGM and you will know everything. Managing it might take a bit longer!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Rickmac1988, there's a letter that you can give to your employer that explains why you need the time off work to do the DAFNE course, just ask your DSN for a copy.

I would recommend the course for people who are unsure on carb counting and adjusting their own insulin-to-carb ratio's and basal insulin, the course also goes into detail on how to manage your diabetes when ill (The Sick Day Rules) and a few other things like adjusting your insulin for exercise, but if someone is already familiar with these things then you won't learn much from the course in all truthfulness.

Reactions: 8 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I say why not. If any advice is given take it. If the minimum you get is meeting other Type 1s then it's still worth it :)

Reactions: 6 people

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Hope you're having a good Saturday!

I recently went for my six-monthly check up at Guy's Hospital and I was offered the chance to join a week long dafne course in January.

My only concern is that I don't want to take a week off work if it's not worthwhile - has anyone done this course, or a course like this? And, would you recommend it?

I've had the pump for quite a while now, and my last HBA was 9 so I guess something's got to change to help me get better control!

Thanks!
Yes it's a great course. The reason why it's 5 days is because the course looks at your BSs over 5 days on a 1:1 basis and making adjustments where required. I had my insulins changed for the better and I was allowed to speak my mind on one occassion re making me do a 1:10 ratio when I was already using a 1:5 ratio (2:1CP). my overnight BS went bach into the 20's but I proved my point. However by the friday my Bs were good and my HBA1c has fallen to 49. I did the course in 2013. and learnt much more than I'd been told by my old care team who were giving my incorrect info for me.

samantha13

I'm starting the course this coming Monday. I cannot wait as I've not managed to have good control on my own I'm happy to take all the help/info/advice I can get.

I've had to take a week off work as annual leave but to be honest I havnt thought twice about it. After neglecting my diabetes for so long I'm looking forward to taking back control.

I know in some areas the waiting list for the course is quite long (I waited 18months for my place) so if you decide not to take part I'd let them know as someone else may be able to take your place xx

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
looks at your BSs over 5 days on a 1:1 basis and making adjustments where required
I think this is the real advantage of the course. Reading how to carb count and work out ratios etc is great but for many the hands on approach with a DSN/dietician there to confirm your decisions for the first week is invaluable.

Plus there is the added extra of meeting others and knowing you're not alone in trying to get your head round it all

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm starting the course this coming Monday. I cannot wait as I've not managed to have good control on my own I'm happy to take all the help/info/advice I can get.

I've had to take a week off work as annual leave but to be honest I havnt thought twice about it. After neglecting my diabetes for so long I'm looking forward to taking back control.

I know in some areas the waiting list for the course is quite long (I waited 18months for my place) so if you decide not to take part I'd let them know as someone else may be able to take your place xx
Let us know how you're getting on during the week!I'm doing it in April and I'm the very same as you!happy to take it as my weeks holidays from work....been waiting 4 years to get called!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did a course offered by my hospital that was based on DAFNE but was different in that it took place over five weeks (one whole day a week) rather than five consecutive days. I found it incredibly useful. I had been diagnosed in the 1980s and so had been brought up weighing everything - but without being allowed to alter either the amount of carbohydrate consumed or the amount of insulin injected. Aaaah, memories, memories.

The thinking behind the course was that it was felt that participants would benefit also from experiencing using the information between sessions, rather than just having it all in one go, during a single five-day period. And work didn't make me take it as holiday, so that was good - I don't know if they'd've felt differently about it if I'd had a five-day absence all in one go - maybe, maybe not.

I haven't done the five-day version, as our hospital does the course variant mentioned above rather than DAFNE itself, but I found it very useful to be able to make ratio adjustments etc during the days in between, which I could then report back on and which we could all talk about together at the group (the fact that it is a group experience, by the way, was the most helpful aspect of all!).

Mind you, I still remember with amusement a 'discussion' I had on the course with the DSN and dietician about how to calculate the grammes of carbohydrate in a baked potato. I thought I'd test the different maths between calculating it raw, and cooked. Using the equation for raw 'old' potato, and calculating the amount for the raw potato pre-baking, I got a completely different figure to the one I got using post-baking - i.e. the equation for a baked potato, weighed when baked.
I seem to recall that the discussion ended with me saying, rather louder than was perhaps necessary, 'BUT IT'S THE SAAAAAME POTATO!!!!!!!!!!'. :banghead:

And in that moment I learned that carb counting wasn't perhaps the exact science I had at first imagined....

I'd say go for it - it's very, very worthwhile information, and although I'd 'done' carb counting all those years ago - well, it was a revelation.

:)