It's been a while......

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
I've been diabetic for over 8 years now and I still seem to have periods where I really struggle with the fact that I'll always need 6 injections per day to keep me alive....

It sounds silly and maybe even naive, but I would just love a day off with no testing BG levels, logging readings or administering insulin. If only!

Does anyone else go through spells like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, yes I think people do get those feelings, I know I have from time to time, but, it's not going to go away so best to get on with it and try to keep good levels ( it can be hard though) keep your chin up.
Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 5 people

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear Kimkennedy89,
yes, definitely, people do experience spells like these and will do so, it's my guess, many times in their life. I think it's very healthy to acknowledge how one actually feels. I've been type 1 for 30 years and I have very often wanted to have a day off… or a few hundreds, to tell the truth. Of course one manages, some way or other. I have no special coping secret, I'm afraid. When I'm fed up with all the D-thing I put my autopilot in gear, that's all.
Perhaps you could try and find comfort in something you like doing; whatever it is, give a little more time to that instead of other things or thoughts. Personally, I find comfort in walks and books and in a country landscape, but you are younger so you will probably prefer something more on the active and social side. I hope you will soon get back to a stronger motivation. It's just a spell, it will pass. Stay positive.

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @kimkennedy89
one of my real wishes would be to win the lottery and pay somebody to worry about all this stuff for me.
sadly it hasn't happened yet but I live in hope..............:)

been doing the D thing for 43 years and yes there are really times i wish somebody else could do it for me just for a day or a week...........

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
Sorry to hear that milly :(

What are you struggling with?

Millymay2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am really fed up with my diabetes I'm an oldie and I should know better but I am eating things I shouldn't cheating like a child then regretting it My family don't know

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Milly - there is no right or wrong way to how you manage your diabetes, you shouldn't be feeling this way, try and talk to your diabetes team about how you are feeling ?

You can still take insulin for whatever you eat so don't feel so guilty, having negative thoughts is a perpetual state of mind, so breaking this way of thinking will help you to tackle your behaviour, try not to be so hard on yourself x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I find a walk helps clear my mind too, age is immaterial Milly, please get some support from your team as its not making you feel great, they may be able to help. I've tried meditation in the past and that worked well for me, helped me start living in the present again, however I do struggle around Xmas, it's all about indulgence which goes against how we try to look after ourselves, and particularly social situations can be difficult as thye remind me of being type 1 please know this though, whatever you feel you are not alone x

Millymay2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After a good night's sleep I have decided to try and injoy the festive season a lot of the time will be spent with family and when it's all over I will see my DN Hoping the weather isn't to bad I will go walking with .my daughter and her new puppy Life's to short to worry