Low-Carb Life Hacks

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He's an interesting character, and one that many diabetes professionals (including a fair few with diabetes) might consider to be a total nut. I've had some interesting chats with T1 Diabetes professionals about him. To be diplomatic, he is a zealot. Much of what he puts forth is not so dissimilar to what was prescribed 100 years ago, just with better monitoring tools and insulins...
Is that really a bad thing, considering what is being prescribed now? Dr Bernstein's book helped me learn that there was life after a diagnosis, and that what I do and eat can influence my condition in a major way. It made me realise that I am not a helpless victim of diabetes, after all!

Reactions: 11 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought about 20 packs of different flavoured Sula and Ricolah non sugar sweets and a 500gm bag of sugar free Werther butterscotch candies. I was eating 20-30 a day to assuage my sweet cravings, but as each has 3 carbs it does add up. I have cut back to 3-4 a day now.

I made the same mistake when I started on the low carb diet!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love nuts, but am never tempted to binge on them.
They kind of lose their charm after a handful.

The only exception to that are cashew nuts in black pepper.
Those are daemonically moreish.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found I was starting to eat whole packs of salted roasted nuts, so I've stopped getting them. But I still eat a lot of other nuts, they don't particularly spike me, but they do add up the calories.

I'm also a great fruit lover, and don't actually think I could have so easily kept up low carbing if I couldn't have a bit most days.. Not eating it would be far worse than giving up bread and potatoes, etc - they were a no-brainer. I try to keep my fruit portions under strict control by limiting the amount I eat per day (I get just enough for the week) , use a small bowl to serve it up, and eat it with a teaspoon. Bowl and teaspoon definitely help me "believe" I'm getting a decent amount - I think I can be quite easily fooled sometimes... :p:D But using smaller plates, bowls, and spoons do help.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a virus atm and I'm trying to up my carbs to fight it - weirdly I find it difficult so I just munch on a couple of chocolate bars.

When I'm well I can do less than 10g of carbs per day but that took hours of research.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think salted nuts are more of a problem- I'm alright with nuts in shells.
I've learned that if I get excited about some food/recipe/meal, that is a warning sign. The best for me is to eat relatively few foods repeatedly, concentrating on quality not variety. Perhaps a little dull, but it's tasty none the less.
This goes against recommended nutritional advice, but i think in the past, people must often have eaten like this.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs turn to glucose (energy) so I figured it would help.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I'm also a great fruit lover, and don't actually think I could have so easily kept up low carbing if I couldn't have a bit most days.. Not eating it would be far worse than giving up bread and potatoes, etc - they were a no-brainer. I try to keep my fruit portions under strict control by limiting the amount I eat per day

I used to eat a lot of fruit - maybe 3 pieces a day. I've cut out most of that, but long-term want to bring some more back, not just because I like it a lot (and it suits my digestion), but I love the no-preparation sort of packed lunch it gives me. So, tell me, how much are you eating, and what sorts of fruit?

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 and fructose don't mix, we convert a lot of glucose to fructose as it is, do we really need more from fruit?
pick it up from the 17 minutes mark

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to eat a lot of fruit - maybe 3 pieces a day. I've cut out most of that, but long-term want to bring some more back, not just because I like it a lot (and it suits my digestion), but I love the no-preparation sort of packed lunch it gives me. So, tell me, how much are you eating, and what sorts of fruit?
Around 50g (weight) a day at the moment - ( black-, blue-, rasp-, straw-) berries, a few cherries, occasionally rhubarb or kiwi fruit. In the summer I eat a bit more and include gooseberries and English plums and greengages, and fresh figs as treat. I can also manage about 1/3 apple and a couple of segments of orange occasionally. Most of it's eaten with either yoghurt, cream, nut crumble topping, and blueberries also go in ground almond muffins/sponge puddings.

Robbity

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@VinnyJames, my glucose levels go up if I have a virus, infection, migraine, etc, so I wouldn't want to add any extra carbs... But whatever works for you!

Robbity

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I pose this is a low carb hack.
giving up potatoes etc was fine for me,
Sliced bread also not too bad
But a crusty roll filled with left over roasted meat, a lick of mustard and salad was my well tolerated lunch of choice.
Now maybe once a week I have one, and this is what I do.......
Heat the roll in the oven till crispy all over, allow to cool a little then slice in half crossways and debulk the somewhat softer bread inside.
You can get down to a real crispy shell, and if you want to check, weigh pre baking and post to see how much is left.
you have quite a large inner place to stuff with, lettuce, salad of choice veges or egg salad, meat etc. Yum.,
Sure its not an every day thing, but if you miss something like a bread roll, have at it,
My house loves home made burgers, egg, fried onion and salad, all stuffed in a roll, mostly now I would rather have a small dollop of tomato sauce than the roll. So I think that is progress. Of course we use top quality lean mince and plenty of flavours as little fat does decrease the taste

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always try and keep my bg as low as possible especially when I am ill.
I figure if high bg lowers immunity and promotes skin infections, etc. then it probably isn't good for a cold or virus, either.

Reactions: 10 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
He's an interesting character, and one that many diabetes professionals (including a fair few with diabetes) might consider to be a total nut. I've had some interesting chats with T1 Diabetes professionals about him. To be diplomatic, he is a zealot. Much of what he puts forth is not so dissimilar to what was prescribed 100 years ago, just with better monitoring tools and insulins...

A nut? A zealot? Gee. This man has soooooo earnt his stripes! T1, 80+, and still going. And his book is a classic. I can't imagine doing anything but respect him enormously to be honest. I am a bit shocked at seeing him referred to as a nut. (AND over his nut consumption!) (Understood tim - that you are referring to others considering Dr Bernstein to be a nut - not that you neccessarily think he is...)

Reactions: 4 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
25g carbs/day for me. We all need to find our own daily carb level and the only way to do that is to experiment, test, record and evaluate.

Reactions: 3 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I always try and keep my bg as low as possible especially when I am ill.
I figure if high bg lowers immunity and promotes skin infections, etc. then it probably isn't good for a cold or virus, either.
That works for me, too - even for ailments which you might think are completely not related to T2.