How much exercise to lose weight

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, and the 'three laws of adiposity' Taubes uses to replace what he argues is the inaccurate one of thermodynamics when used in regard to people and animals:

1. Body fat is carefully regulated if not exquisitely so.
2. Obesity can be caused by a regulatory defect so small that it would be undetectable so small it would be undetected by any technique yet invented.
3. Whatever makes us both fatter and heavier also makes us overeat.

Though you're correct that dieting is much more than making sure you have a calorie deficit i've found that most people who start micro managing their diet and/or exercise regime tend to fail. Overcomplicating a diet seems like a major pitfall and is just a mentally exhausting way to do it. Therefore the best place to start is with the general rule of thumb burn more calories than you eat.

Personally though i also believe that most diets are a waste of time. When decreasing food consumption you often decrease nutrient consumption and sooner or later you'll start having cravings for food. For this reason i've found that generally eating healthy is a more effective way of decreasing weight though while slower more sustainable in the long run. As you get enough micro nutrients to offset the general feeling of fatigue. You can even find that eating less calories than required to maintain your weight but having plenty micronutrients has you more energetic than eating more calories than required out of junk food.

As for exercising generally speaking the highers the intensity (that'll mean higher heart rate in this case) the more effective per minute of exercising. Though any form of exercise is better than none.

To summarize, don't overcomplicate diet or exercising if it works it works, if not revisit and try again.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Though you're correct that dieting is much more than making sure you have a calorie deficit i've found that most people who start micro managing their diet and/or exercise regime tend to fail. Overcomplicating a diet seems like a major pitfall and is just a mentally exhausting way to do it. Therefore the best place to start is with the general rule of thumb burn more calories than you eat.

Personally though i also believe that most diets are a waste of time. When decreasing food consumption you often decrease nutrient consumption and sooner or later you'll start having cravings for food. For this reason i've found that generally eating healthy is a more effective way of decreasing weight though while slower more sustainable in the long run. As you get enough micro nutrients to offset the general feeling of fatigue. You can even find that eating less calories than required to maintain your weight but having plenty micronutrients has you more energetic than eating more calories than required out of junk food.

As for exercising generally speaking the highers the intensity (that'll mean higher heart rate in this case) the more effective per minute of exercising. Though any form of exercise is better than none.

To summarize, don't overcomplicate diet or exercising if it works it works, if not revisit and try again.

Well, I like science! I actually like knowing how it all works, or doesn't work (as in the case of my poor old liver and bung cell insulin receptors). But I hear you - that ain't for everyone.

And I also have a very strong regard for personal differences, and metabolisms. I personally am one of those people who responds very strongly to exercise. And that is in terms of weight loss as well (as does one of my children, in terms of the genes thing). And very quickly. This is not true for many. I also have muscle repair very quickly too - so muscle building is easy for me, and so I enjoy it, which I think is true for many of those you see lifting weights at gyms. On the other hand - cutting down food would never work for me. I would get too fatigued. I wouldn't be able to walk as far and lift weights and squat, and use the stairs the way I do. And I really like to do those things. (The only healthy thing I portion control is fruit - and that is because as a T2 diabetic who still produces a lot of insulin - I need to lower that in order to be as healthy as I can. I don't want to live in a world without fruit! But I also want to live as long as I can.) Maybe you might find more folk like me in an exercise forum here talking about it in relation to T2D than you would otherwise? I imagine so. And a lot of folk who can gain (and lose, it must be said) muscle easily, and even lose weight by exercising more (which is not true for everyone, not at all) - are very interested in the science behind it. Look at any paleo jock site for instance! Or eat with any body builders.

But yes - I like your general advice about if it works it works.

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What's making people fat is what's making them overeat. True. But it stil boils down to what you eat. Your microbiota in your gut causes cravings. True.

You are a human being, not a rat or a mouse, so you can consciously change your microbiota by deliberately changing what you eat.

There is actually an exhibition about this in the Science Museum right now, and it covers this topic.

Eat more fiber.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't eat any fibre, yet I seldom feel hungry or have cravings.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't eat any fibre, yet I seldom feel hungry or have cravings.
How is your weight?

(And your bank balance, ;))

No, seriously, that means you are fine (if you are not overweight), but the exhibition I saw was all about the interaction of microbiota with the CNS via the vagus nerve, and they reported on cravings, fibre, obesity, etc. I put it a bit abruptly. But it is worth thinking about, no matter which kind of diabetes you have (because T1s can become insulin resistant and/or obese as well).

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'd like to lose a few more pounds, but my weight is fairly stable. I don't count calories or grams of what I eat. I bet they didn't study any people on a zero carb diet.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How is your weight?

(And your bank balance, ;))

No, seriously, that means you are fine (if you are not overweight), but the exhibition I saw was all about the interaction of microbiota with the CNS via the vagus nerve, and they reported on cravings, fibre, obesity, etc. I put it a bit abruptly. But it is worth thinking about, no matter which kind of diabetes you have (because T1s can become insulin resistant and/or obese as well).

Yes - the gut biome stuff is fascinating and hugely important - quite agree.

Thinking about gut biome and eating animal products - apparently we ate a lot more guts and brains and so on, in our 'culinary history' - and got a lot more gut greeblies that way, that are crucial for our health. Still crucial for our health, but we get a lot less. I try and eat as much fermented food as I can (kimchi, borscht, sauerkraut, Greek yoghurt, fermented drinks when I'm on a roll) - so why not emphasise the original source? ie animal parts and products. Quite right @NoCrbs4Me. Food for thought - as usual!