Your thoughts on the future of the forum

K

Kat100

On one thread once I put the components of a good communication tool ..
Made up of the following elements ..

Sender , messenger , receiver , context , feedback .. Sadly it was removed .. Deemed inappropriate ..

So I don't bother joining in so much , well you asked for thoughts ..!!!!

You see I just wanted to mske a point .. A valid one .. Not given a chance .. Sad that ..because groups are complex things whatever role we play .. Not easy to understand ,,but the more members who can have the opportunity to express the better ..
I must stop thinking now .. And I refuse to be labelled a type .. There is more to me than that ..

You are saying don't give medication advise I totally agree.. It can be dangerous .. Shared experiences is good ..
But some have good knowledge to make good suggestions .. Then it must be up to the individual to decide ..via own medical routes ..
Same with diet and eating plans ..
No one really knows all the circumstances .. Thinking stopping now .. For a while anyway ..

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Ok .. So before I signed in I could see the T2..T1 lable now I have signed in..it's back to champions, regular ... I don't like the T2 labels as the other day my heart nurse said I was not diabetic anymore ... So I guess I need a hasbeen label ... ;)
I am now pre diabetic .. Am I still type 2 .. Have not got a clue ..i would kindly request the word type to be removed from my name .. Thank you .. But this may change due to fluctuating hba1c , exercise , diet , other illnesses , stress .. I feel stressed now .. Or I might after more blood tests be a different type ..
I don't want an answer to the above I will take medical advise ..

Is there a wave or hug button yet ..

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

I would like to see forums coloured, for example food, recipes in shades of green, general forums shades of purple, types shades of red, hope that makes sense

I don't mind having a label, I have been daughter, wife, mum, disabled, so someone saying I'm type 3c doesn't define me as a person as for all the labels the important one is my name and I know who me is

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I still get Champion too...

dad28d169a.png

Ah... are you using the forum in red or grey? (It may be that if you say grey!)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would like to see forums coloured, for example food, recipes in shades of green, general forums shades of purple, types shades of red, hope that makes sense

I don't mind having a label, I have been daughter, wife, mum, disabled, so someone saying I'm type 3c doesn't define me as a person as for all the labels the important one is my name and I know who me is

Ah, that's a really good idea. How do you see it? As in, the different subforums had a completely different look or is it just the background colours and link colours?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, that's a really good idea. How do you see it? As in, the different subforums had a completely different look or is it just the background colours and link colours?

I think the ppl with visual impairments would really struggle with anything that affects the page colour.

Maybe use it for titles, or have a coloured symbol or something, instead?

Reactions: 7 people
K

Kat100

I think the ppl with visual impairments would really struggle with anything that affects the page colour.

Maybe use it for titles, or have a coloured symbol or something, instead?
Dyslexic people also use different colours depending on need ..

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
@Administrator - When you say;

"....we've replaced the user group (newbie, veteran, etc) with the type of diabetes (this was done so people can see who is commenting)....."

Do you mean this is coming, or that is has occurred already? If so, where would I see that, as I still seem to be seeing the same as before. For example, looking at this thread, both @ally1 and @brett remain "Legends".

Of course, they'll always be legends in my eyes anyway. ;) :)

Of course, maybe I need to log out and back in again to see any new changes.

Yeah I am still showing as a regular

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hate the idea of dislike and disagree button. I would also prefer a thank you to a like button.

I don't think it's quite dislike - it's more of a 'I don't agree', I'll clarify that tomorrow.

Sorry, but I see no type under my name or anyone else's name. I still see Legend, Champion etc.

I have logged out and back again, and cleared cache.

Are you using in grey? Its under your username?

5879824f8d.png

I dislike the buttons .. it causes splits , social dysfunction ..I don't like it ...

That's not intended. The intention is to actually understand what people think. A like isn't always appropriate - so it's more like thanks, like, optimistic, i don't agree, etc - I will clarify tomorrow.

I don't like and neither do I give my permission to display my type details ..

It's like giving my medical notes out to the world ..
There was a choice when I joined ..
There's more to .. But later now ..

Feeling labelled .. Thought we were empowered individuals , hate labels .. A sticker on my cats forehead ..

It's not about segregation, it's about cohesion. It's about improving health and in this case it's about seeing past the label (we're a community, it's not about labels) - realising that the label is *really* useful to giving you context about what you're reading. For example, if a newly diagnosed member with T1D came in and received info from someone who had prediabetes in a thread. It's unlikely, granted - point being that it's useful to know who you're speaking to and putting it under the username kinda makes sense.

I don't like and neither do I give my permission to display my type details ..

There's an option for Private in the settings, too. (In an online community though, I do think there's a benefit to showing that. For example, if someone claims to be a doctor - at the moment you'd only know he was a Newbie.)

Hello happy Christmas .. I see you have family under your name ..that's nice

It's for Family member (it was 'A family member has diabetes' but there's a character limit as there's not much space there).

I have a type under my name .. I have not given permission for this exposure ..I don't agree with it ..
There was always a choice .. To put these details on show or choose not to .. I hate the word type .. Really dislike it ..

Just expressing my views ..

Private is in. :)

How do you measure a persons experience , and or reputation ?

Online? Posts, likes, engagements, etc.

That does not sound very nice .. People are valuable I refer to members on this site .

Agreed - that's why it's a community.

Ont hat note, there's something else we'd like to try, which is allowing members who have been banned in the past being allowed to rejoin (if a permanent ban is/was served). Currently, they're unable to use the forum (unless they go to the trouble of creating another account with a different email, etc - which does happen) and it makes sense that a community showed compassion like that. Plus, if you contributed to the forum, it makes sense that you'd continue from where you were once banned... we're just talking to the mods about it and will have something ready for 2016.

Pressing dislike button .. @Administrator

See, the Dislike button (or the I don't agree button) would have been perfect right now :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in grey, on my iPad, and also was earlier on my laptop, so there's discrimination on the basis of colour going on here!

Please take that remark, recognising my tongue in my cheek.

@Administrator - does the sub-avatar type just copy from the profile page?

Like all things diabetes, where things can be not cut and dried, like T2 on insulin, or those considered resolved, users may have to plump for the closest match. For those, like @Kat100 , does a "prefer not to say" option exist? That's what many large organisations use when making ethnic, disability and religion enquiries, and it would appear both truthful, and certainly in some cases, very accurate.

I detest labels myself, but I know I find it frustrating when trying to answer a user query -especially new users, when asking can merely delay a valid response, so I do think there is valid rationale in providing that information, alongside every post.

On an aside, for some time, there was a bug around which displayed new users as T1 or T1.5, controlled by diet. To the "mature" and readily befuddled, like myself, that can lead to further questioning. (Actually, that could just be because I'm nosey. :) )

Reactions: 3 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I can see it in red ok like has been said

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dyslexic people also use different colours depending on need ..
Not everyone with visual impairments is a dyslexic.
And different dyslexics use different colours. The wrong colour can make a piece of text unreadable for them.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A "horn throwing" option for us rockers would be cool too..? I only ever appropriately "hug" my wife.. ;)

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

He
Not everyone with visual impairments is a dyslexic.
And different dyslexics use different colours. The wrong colour can make a piece of text unreadable for them.
yes thank you I was thinking of the use of color choices for both .. X

K

Kat100

I'm in grey, on my iPad, and also was earlier on my laptop, so there's discrimination on the basis of colour going on here!

Please take that remark, recognising my tongue in my cheek.

@Administrator - does the sub-avatar type just copy from the profile page?

Like all things diabetes, where things can be not cut and dried, like T2 on insulin, or those considered resolved, users may have to plump for the closest match. For those, like @Kat100 , does a "prefer not to say" option exist? That's what many large organisations use when making ethnic, disability and religion enquiries, and it would appear both truthful, and certainly in some cases, very accurate.

I detest labels myself, but I know I find it frustrating when trying to answer a user query -especially new users, when asking can merely delay a valid response, so I do think there is valid rationale in providing that information, alongside every post.

On an aside, for some time, there was a bug around which displayed new users as T1 or T1.5, controlled by diet. To the "mature" and readily befuddled, like myself, that can lead to further questioning. (Actually, that could just be because I'm nosey. :) )
I thought my details were still set on private .. Help please @Administrator

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thought I would go and see what options are available in my profile and noticed that there are 2 Type 2 entries! Changed mine so that bots can't read it. Did think I would change it to do not have whilst I have normal HbA1cs :bag: