How many people here are Coeliacs as well?

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there.

I've recently received the results from my blood test, which shows I am positive for antibodies concerning Coeliac. We are just waiting for a endoscopy to confirm it.

The thought of being a coeliac as well as diabetic is really getting me down as it means I have 2 major things to worry about instead of only one. It also means I have to miss out on all my favourite foods, as well as watching what I eat to see if it has gluten in and all the other annoying things. I'm just hoping I don't have it as I feel this disease has put me through enough and I don't know how I'm gonna cope.

How common is this? Are there a lot of other Coeliacs on this forum? I would appreciate any advice

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not have coeliac disease but had gastro issues a couple of months ago and went through testing and researching. To answer your question, I understand from a few sources that approx. 10% of T1s are coeliac (versus 1% of non T1s). So it's certainly not an uncommon combination.

I hope your endoscopy is negative. I've got a close friend who is coeliac, though, and it's really not that bad. I'm not saying it's not a pain but the variety and quality of gluten-free alternatives these days is truly incredible ... so hopefully no reason you wouldn't be able to still enjoy your favourite foods.

Reactions: 2 people

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not have coeliac disease but had gastro issues a couple of months ago and went through testing and researching. To answer your question, I understand from a few sources that approx. 10% of T1s are coeliac (versus 1% of non T1s). So it's certainly not an uncommon combination.

I hope your endoscopy is negative. I've got a close friend who is coeliac, though, and it's really not that bad. I'm not saying it's not a pain but the variety and quality of gluten-free alternatives these days is truly incredible ... so hopefully no reason you wouldn't be able to still enjoy your favourite foods.
Oh ok. Thanks for that

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
HI, I have Coeliac as well, diagnosed nearly 3 years ago. It's hard at first to get your head around it, but once diagnosed I felt so much better. Good luck with the endoscopy ( I was put out to sleep for mine, much easier and tolerable than being awake) Take care RRB

Reactions: 3 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:) Some support! I don't have celiac disease and i understand your annoyance, but I also think that if you do have it, getting it under control will be worth it. You will feel A LOT better. So much so that I doubt you will mind in the end. After 48 years of diabetes just looking at a cake makes me feel thirsty, so I really lost all desire for sweet and sticky stuff. I guess you will eventually feel the same.

Elc1112

I have type 1 diabetes and coeliacs. Diagnosed with the diabetes aged four, and the coeliacs a couple of years later. It's a lot easier now than it was when I was first diagnosed. Good selection of gluten free foods in the supermarkets, and many restaurants now offer gluten free menus :)

Reactions: 3 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not coeliac but have non-coeliac gluten sensitivity. My main advice would be to read every single label because the most surprising foods can contain gluten - my biggest boo-boo was eating chocolate covered liquorice. I don't find it a particularly difficult diet to follow because I know how much better I feel when not eating the stuff and how ghastly I feel after an exposure. I'd urge anyone to try an elimination diet even if not diagnosed because you may find huge improvements in many areas of health that you weren't expecting. One of the big ones for me is less joint pain.

If you do have it, this is probably the best time in history to receive a diagnosis, though I'd caution against most of the gluten free products from a BG control aspect.

I think @Engineer88 is a coeliac, so I'm tagging her as she may be able to advise you.

Reactions: 4 people

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the chances are greater when you have t1, my aunty and granny are both coeliac so there is definitely a strong autoimmune issue / link on that side of the family ( cheers!). My aunty follows a page on Facebook with lots of info and recipes etc, I'll try and find the name, It might in the long run, help you to have an ultra healthy diet that may be easier to control sugars with. I do feel for you, it's **** having more than t1 to deal with. Sorry I'm not of any help but wanted to respond

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep I'm both. Look at it this way, your bg will be much easier to control if you are coeliac and go gluten free. @CarbsRok who else is coeliac? brain fart!

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there.

I've recently received the results from my blood test, which shows I am positive for antibodies concerning Coeliac. We are just waiting for a endoscopy to confirm it.

The thought of being a coeliac as well as diabetic is really getting me down as it means I have 2 major things to worry about instead of only one. It also means I have to miss out on all my favourite foods, as well as watching what I eat to see if it has gluten in and all the other annoying things. I'm just hoping I don't have it as I feel this disease has put me through enough and I don't know how I'm gonna cope.

How common is this? Are there a lot of other Coeliacs on this forum? I would appreciate any advice

I'm also coeliac - diagnosed in 2014 (long after T1 in 1997) but, with hindsight, had it about 4-5 years beforehand. The first few weeks following diagnosis are a little tricky getting your head around what's GF and what's not (be aware sauces, marmite etc, and things that say they're wheat-free as that is not the same as GF!), but after that, it's plain-sailing! I get all my GF on prescription (it's free because of T1!).
I honestly can say T1 is far, far harder to deal with. And you will feel so much better going GF if you are in fact coeliac.
Have you had your endoscopy results yet?
Best of luck!

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also coeliac - diagnosed in 2014 (long after T1 in 1997) but, with hindsight, had it about 4-5 years beforehand. The first few weeks following diagnosis are a little tricky getting your head around what's GF and what's not (be aware sauces, marmite etc, and things that say they're wheat-free as that is not the same as GF!), but after that, it's plain-sailing! I get all my GF on prescription (it's free because of T1!).
I honestly can say T1 is far, far harder to deal with. And you will feel so much better going GF if you are in fact coeliac.
Have you had your endoscopy results yet?
Best of luck!

Yeah I have Coeliac Disease. I didn't have the endoscopy, instead I had the new genetic marker test to indicate the disease. I had high antibodies so it was apparent I had it anyway.

Yeah it's not that hard now I'm kinda used to it. I know what I should and shouldn't it etc. I think both the conditions are equally difficult in their own ways :)))