1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How many people here are Coeliacs as well?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by TakeItAway88, Oct 2, 2015.

1. TakeItAway88

TakeItAway88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there.

I've recently received the results from my blood test, which shows I am positive for antibodies concerning Coeliac. We are just waiting for a endoscopy to confirm it.

The thought of being a coeliac as well as diabetic is really getting me down as it means I have 2 major things to worry about instead of only one. It also means I have to miss out on all my favourite foods, as well as watching what I eat to see if it has gluten in and all the other annoying things. I'm just hoping I don't have it as I feel this disease has put me through enough and I don't know how I'm gonna cope.

How common is this? Are there a lot of other Coeliacs on this forum? I would appreciate any advice

2. pinewood

pinewood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I do not have coeliac disease but had gastro issues a couple of months ago and went through testing and researching. To answer your question, I understand from a few sources that approx. 10% of T1s are coeliac (versus 1% of non T1s). So it's certainly not an uncommon combination.

I hope your endoscopy is negative. I've got a close friend who is coeliac, though, and it's really not that bad. I'm not saying it's not a pain but the variety and quality of gluten-free alternatives these days is truly incredible ... so hopefully no reason you wouldn't be able to still enjoy your favourite foods.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TakeItAway88

Oh ok. Thanks for that

4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

HI, I have Coeliac as well, diagnosed nearly 3 years ago. It's hard at first to get your head around it, but once diagnosed I felt so much better. Good luck with the endoscopy ( I was put out to sleep for mine, much easier and tolerable than being awake) Take care RRB

• Like Like x 3
  5. RuthW

RuthW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

:) Some support! I don't have celiac disease and i understand your annoyance, but I also think that if you do have it, getting it under control will be worth it. You will feel A LOT better. So much so that I doubt you will mind in the end. After 48 years of diabetes just looking at a cake makes me feel thirsty, so I really lost all desire for sweet and sticky stuff. I guess you will eventually feel the same.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Elc1112

Elc1112 · Well-Known Member

I have type 1 diabetes and coeliacs. Diagnosed with the diabetes aged four, and the coeliacs a couple of years later. It's a lot easier now than it was when I was first diagnosed. Good selection of gluten free foods in the supermarkets, and many restaurants now offer gluten free menus :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

I have bumped this thread up rather than you starting another thread asking people to respond to this one @TakeItAway88

8. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I'm not coeliac but have non-coeliac gluten sensitivity. My main advice would be to read every single label because the most surprising foods can contain gluten - my biggest boo-boo was eating chocolate covered liquorice. I don't find it a particularly difficult diet to follow because I know how much better I feel when not eating the stuff and how ghastly I feel after an exposure. I'd urge anyone to try an elimination diet even if not diagnosed because you may find huge improvements in many areas of health that you weren't expecting. One of the big ones for me is less joint pain.

If you do have it, this is probably the best time in history to receive a diagnosis, though I'd caution against most of the gluten free products from a BG control aspect.

I think @Engineer88 is a coeliac, so I'm tagging her as she may be able to advise you.

• Like Like x 4
  9. TakeItAway88

Ok thank you

10. Emilyprice

Emilyprice Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think the chances are greater when you have t1, my aunty and granny are both coeliac so there is definitely a strong autoimmune issue / link on that side of the family ( cheers!). My aunty follows a page on Facebook with lots of info and recipes etc, I'll try and find the name, It might in the long run, help you to have an ultra healthy diet that may be easier to control sugars with. I do feel for you, it's **** having more than t1 to deal with. Sorry I'm not of any help but wanted to respond

• Like Like x 2
  11. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

12. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep I'm both. Look at it this way, your bg will be much easier to control if you are coeliac and go gluten free. @CarbsRok who else is coeliac? brain fart!

13. Robert 2170

Robert 2170 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all what are your symptoms if you have coeliac

14. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I'm sure @robert72 is.

15. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep - I am. T1 1972, coeliac 2011 (although I had symptoms of it for 5 years before diagnosis).

16. Okulu

Okulu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm also coeliac - diagnosed in 2014 (long after T1 in 1997) but, with hindsight, had it about 4-5 years beforehand. The first few weeks following diagnosis are a little tricky getting your head around what's GF and what's not (be aware sauces, marmite etc, and things that say they're wheat-free as that is not the same as GF!), but after that, it's plain-sailing! I get all my GF on prescription (it's free because of T1!).
    I honestly can say T1 is far, far harder to deal with. And you will feel so much better going GF if you are in fact coeliac.
    Have you had your endoscopy results yet?
    Best of luck!

17. TakeItAway88

Yeah I have Coeliac Disease. I didn't have the endoscopy, instead I had the new genetic marker test to indicate the disease. I had high antibodies so it was apparent I had it anyway.

Yeah it's not that hard now I'm kinda used to it. I know what I should and shouldn't it etc. I think both the conditions are equally difficult in their own ways :)))

18. Okulu

Okulu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. At least you know now. Best of luck with it all!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook