Forum questions: additional forums?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went down the list of forum subsections and picked out those that had low(er) traffic. I did my best to try to be unbiased, and again, one of the topics I mentioned affects me personally.
Some of these forum subsections have only just been set up like the vegetarian/ vegan subsection..so naturally their numbers will be low. Perhaps you should be a forum member a little longer befor you start to give an opinion on what should in your opinion should be cut or merged. (No offence intended)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't see a problem with looking through a long list of subsections to get to the ones I want.

Reactions: 2 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm one of those lazy people that only ever looks at New Posts or Recent Posts but for some, these subsections are really helpful. Also, although there may not be a huge amount of posts, there may be lots of views ? It certainly doesn't bother me anyway.

Reactions: 9 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some of these forum subsections have only just been set up like the vegetarian/ vegan subsection..so naturally their numbers will be low. Perhaps you should be a forum member a little longer befor you start to give an opinion on what should in your opinion should be cut or merged. (No offence intended)
I may be new to this forum, but I've been posting on internet forums much longer than you have (No offence intended).

I'll pass on your suggestion.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really don`t see a problem with having lots of sub-forums, I don`t have type 3c but that doesn`t mean I don`t want to read about it, just as I`m not vegetarian/vegan but I have tried some vegetarian recipes. Diabetes is a spectacularly complicated and, dare I say it, fascinating condition which is multi-faceted to say the least so any complete forum will necessarily be varied as well. In my opinion we should be proud that our forum is so inclusive and well informed. All knowledge is power.

Reactions: 8 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Just another suggestion. I have always thought DCUK could have a "Ask the expert" forum where guest experts in various fields of diabetes management (Diabetologists, DSNs, Dieticians etc) could be invited on to discuss/give advice on various topics in their respective fields. I know it would not be a continuous thread but it could be advertised when a guest is upcoming. I think it would be popular especially with newly diagnosed. Just a penny for my thoughts.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I really don`t see a problem with having lots of sub-forums, I don`t have type 3c but that doesn`t mean I don`t want to read about it, just as I`m not vegetarian/vegan but I have tried some vegetarian recipes. Diabetes is a spectacularly complicated and, dare I say it, fascinating condition which is multi-faceted to say the least so any complete forum will necessarily be varied as well. In my opinion we should be proud that our forum is so inclusive and well informed. All knowledge is power.

Knowledge is power, never switch off :)

Reactions: 4 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Administrator Interesting that you have quoted my response and replied that Torq raised a few valid points that you and he were discussing. I can only take that to mean that you felt my points were not valid. I stand by what I said in my reply - ' a forum that claims to be specifically for diabetes should be inclusive....'

Not at all. Please don't infer anything else! 2 people can have absolutely valid points and be on opposite ends of the spectrum! :) Just to clarify - the points were for everyone to discuss (hence the thread). Due to the size of the population on the forum, there will be many different viewpoints and so this is a method everyone can discuss together.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I may be new to this forum, but I've been posting on internet forums much longer than you have (No offence intended).

I'll pass on your suggestion.

A sub section may not be of interest to you and you don't have to read it, but a lack of footfall/postings on one doesn't mean its not of interest to another forum user, the fact that this forum has expanded to include the minorities is helping many who have nowhere else to go and is to be applauded.

Reactions: 10 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When this thread was first started the request was for suggestions for new sub forums. There was NO indication that they would have to cater for a minimum amount if people or produce a specified amount of posts in a given time. In fact when I muted the 3C forum I specifically indicated that it may only cater for a few people (post #3). The goalposts now appear to have changed somewhat......

Edited to add. Can I just add that whilst I'm obviously focussing on the 3C part of this debate I feel just as strongly about the potential culling/down grading of the others mentioned.

The goalpost concept just didn't exist. There's a lot that is being inferred from somewhere and we're not sure where. Yes, suggestions are welcome. And change is taking place... and we need to see whether it is working or not. If things aren't working, it makes sense to move/edit/think again. No-one said things weren't working - however, there were some interesting/valid points that everyone will have thoughts on - it doesn't mean we need to agree with them - it means we should discuss them! I think perhaps it was taken as that the Type 3c forum was under threat. It's not, the original response was that it's really interesting... and warrants us all to talk. :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It does seem the consensus is that the posts/threads within a subforum are immaterial *if* people are using it. Which works and makes total sense!

We have the Young Adults forum to make live next (it was scheduled for today but we're waiting for Giv in case we need any tech-assistance).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes. At least we think that's the best approach. It should make sense/be appropriate. The idea is to give everything 8 weeks to see whether it's appropriate - which is Feb 1 for this set of changes.
This is where the "goalposts" inference has come from...

Reactions: 3 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is where the "goalposts" inference has come from...

Got it - sorry, that's not goalposts though that's just common sense - i.e. if it's not working, we would have to think again as it wouldn't serve a purpose? Anyway, accepted - and for clarity everything would need to be evaluated to see if it works. Appears that most agree that the relevant subforums should remain?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Got it - sorry, that's not goalposts though that's just common sense - i.e. if it's not working, we would have to think again as it wouldn't serve a purpose? Anyway, accepted - and for clarity everything would need to be evaluated to see if it works. Appears that most agree that the relevant subforums should remain?
I don't disagree, I don't believe it was mentioned in the first phase of posting so people feel a little mislead, that's all. For the record, we operate a similar process on the forum I'm involved in administering and have reversed changes when necessary.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems my words are consistently being misinterpreted, and I seem to be offending people (for reasons I cannot understand).

In an (further) attempt to explain my point, I'll use myself as an example: I'm 27, newly diagnosed with type1, and let's say I'm looking for discussion about MDI vs. Insulin Pumps. Where do I search or post?

I did a search and found relevant content in six different sub-forums:
Diabetes Discussions
Ask a Question
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes
Diabetes Medication and Drugs
Insulin Pump Forum

Is there a better way to group the forum so a new member doesn't have to search in six different places to find the content they're looking for?
Is it also possible that even veteran members, who might be able to help, aren't looking in all six of those sections?

Consequently, wouldn't that mean there are opportunities to improve the efficiency of the forum so questions don't go unanswered?

That was the (only) concern I was raising

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Administrator .

I have friends of different creeds who have struggled to find help with their diet and treatments, the sub forums here have been for them a life line, I believe that there are many who would be left high and dry if they were now removed, so for their sake I would ask that none of them be removed through lack of perceived interest.

Reactions: 6 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If anything just add stuff not remove it, >.< it's not causing issues don't fix it >. <

Reactions: 3 people
M

mrspuddleduck

It seems my words are consistently being misinterpreted, and I seem to be offending people (for reasons I cannot understand).

In an (further) attempt to explain my point, I'll use myself as an example: I'm 27, newly diagnosed with type1, and let's say I'm looking for discussion about MDI vs. Insulin Pumps. Where do I search or post?

I did a search and found relevant content in six different sub-forums:
Diabetes Discussions
Ask a Question
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes
Diabetes Medication and Drugs
Insulin Pump Forum

Is there a better way to group the forum so a new member doesn't have to search in six different places to find the content they're looking for?
Is it also possible that even veteran members, who might be able to help, aren't looking in all six of those sections?

Consequently, wouldn't that mean there are opportunities to improve the efficiency of the forum so questions don't go unanswered?

That was the (only) concern I was raising

No offence intended @TorqPenderloin but that is not what you said in previous posts on this thread but maybe it's time to move on.
From my perspective having to search and find topics in many different areas took me into sections/posts that I otherwise probably wouldn't have read, so its been a positive thing for me. I would go as far as to suggest that narrowing down the subforums to be more descriptively precise would lead to the very restrictions that you were concerned about earlier - we would all end up only accessing our own little boxes, succeeding in the 'type' segregation and never sharing across our experiences.

M

mrspuddleduck

Brilliant post @chri5 , sums everything up nicely!!

Reactions: 8 people