Pump approved

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Maybe. I also wonder whether we react slightly differently to constant rapid insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yeah could well be that too, it kinda boggles the mind

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
is it like MDI when you should wait for 2/3 days to see if there's a pattern.
Here is my opinion.

Yes, it's always best to wait and see if there is a pattern before making longer term changes to things like basal which lurk in the background and can get forgotten. Proceeding cautiously is reasonable, no?

But on the other hand, wasn't part of the purpose of getting a pump to have more flexibility and to break out of the prison of being forced to "eat to your insulin"? I think when it is obvious that you are going hypo low then you should set a temp basal to reduce your basal. Why on earth would you want to continue to push insulin into your body when you are already either going hypo or know that you will be hypo not too long from now?

Another approach which might not occur to someone new to the pump is to do a temp basal when your pump shows that you probably still have Active Insulin but you are already in your target BG range and do not expect your BG to rise from a meal. Rather than eat to cover that pending active insulin, you can just temp reduce your basal and let the Active Insulin cover the basal.

Based on my experience, the most attractive thing about a Temporary Basal is that it is temporary. You set a time period and after that time period your basal rate pops back to the regular setting at that time of day. You don't have to worry about remembering to change it back. This just happens automagically when the clock runs out.

Just sayin', with a pump you have (other) options. That's sorta the point, no? ;)

lely

@lely

I use the Vibe and use 6mm Inset IIs most of the time and opted for the 90cm tube so that I would have tubing long enough to insert the set in my tummy or backside and also be able to put pump in a zipped pocket on the back of my handbag when out in Summer and just drape the bag over my shoulder so that pocket is next to my body. The pump is fairly invisable and the tubing is thin and very lightweght so can be tucked inside my jeans if need be. In the Winter I put pump in a skin (ask Animas for one) and insert the waistband clip in the back and just hang the pump over my neck so that if I need to do a bolus if outside, I just undo a few buttons on my coat or undo the zip on my jacket (saves getting half undressed to get to pump).

The Inset IIs dont really need any alcohol wipe or plaster put over them in the tummy but probably need a plaster if inserted in the backside.

The Inset II is easy to insert ............http://infusion-set.com/products/inset.aspx
Scroll down to the bottom of the website page and click on the blue visual guide which shows step by step instructions

There a few Vibers and Vibettes on the forum so dont worry if you have questions or not sure what to do :)
@iHs. I have. Question about the vibe. I changed the battery about an hour after my meal, then went to check how much IOB was left and it said 0.00, Since its been two hours since meal and it's 4 hours for insulin to work I know there's still some at work but the pump isn't registering it. I just took battery out and replaced it when it alarmed for a low battery. Should I have used a particular procedure before removing the battery I can't seem to find the answer in the owners book.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@iHs. I have. Question about the vibe. I changed the battery about an hour after my meal, then went to check how much IOB was left and it said 0.00, Since its been two hours since meal and it's 4 hours for insulin to work I know there's still some at work but the pump isn't registering it. I just took battery out and replaced it when it alarmed for a low battery. Should I have used a particular procedure before removing the battery I can't seem to find the answer in the owners book.
Hi @lely if you change the battery with IOB then the IOB wont show but if you look in status menu 2 it will show last bolus given.
Tip is to change the battery when no IOB

Look on page 12 of your manual ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

lely

@CarbsRok I thought you said you had a vibe too trawling though past posts trying to find the one that said you did. thank you. Will know that for next time now.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@CarbsRok I thought you said you had a vibe too trawling though past posts trying to find the one that said you did. thank you. Will know that for next time now.
You are more than welcome, I've had the 2020/vibe for about 4 1/2 years now.

Not sure if you noticed I stuck page no. on above post for reference.