Well that explains it!

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. Just joined this forum. I was told by my GP that I was pre diabetic a couple of months ago but no advice given so thankfully I found this site. I've been lurking, reading and testing for the last month and thanks to Brunneria I was pointed in the direction of RH. Reading through all of the posts everything seemed to fall into place. A bit about my symptoms over the last 20 plus years...

Episodes of dizziness accompanied by nausea, cold sweat, shaking
Very vivid dreams
Waking exhausted
Waking with racing heart and shaking
Panic attacks
Falling asleep immediately after eating
Gradual weight increase - all around the middle
Food intolerance
IBS

I have noticed if my blood glucose stays in the 5s and low 6s I feel fine but anything lower or higher and the dizziness etc starts. It has made my life a misery at times especially fainting in public and missing work. I have started on LCHF and I am hoping for good things. Apart from low blood pressure the doctors have said there is nothing wrong with me and simply put me on antidepressants for anxiety:(

Reactions: 5 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi KayeStevenson, welcome to the forum.

Your symptoms sounds very much like my own over the last 15 years or so. Throughout that time I was diagnosed with ME and Inner ear problems amongst other things. Early this year I noticed symptoms after eating carbs which seemed to fit with diabetes. I changed my diet to the NHS low GI advise which helped a bit but then during the summer, started with RH symptoms. Waking with racing heart and shaking, very shaky a couple of hours after eating etc. My weight was dropping however, which is slightly odd. I lost over a stone (from 8.5st to 7.5st in 4 months).

My Doctor also put all of this down to anxiety and prescribed me medication. I'm now weaning myself of it as I now know the anxiety symptoms are a result of RH.

My endocrinologist eventually did a prolonged OGTT and that confirmed RH.

@Brunneria and @nosher8355 have loads of knowledge and experience and I'm sure will help as much as they can. I have found being part of this forum makes me feel so much more supported and much less alone. When GPs don't understand your condition it's quite a frustrating, worrying and lonely place to be. I hope you start to feel better very soon.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to both of you!

It is astonishing what a difference it makes to know there is a reason for you feeling so awful, and that there are tools (diet) that can put you back in control.

Good to have you. :D

Reactions: 6 people

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both. I feel this forum will be a great help. It is difficult when no one understands how you feel and you don't understand why you are feeling that way. My mum just says "she is having a dizzy day" :joyful:. At least I can now tell my colleagues why I often feel unwell and I can hopefully be able to take the right action if I do get a hypo. Jeez, I've been doing it all wrong for years!

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks both. I feel this forum will be a great help. It is difficult when no one understands how you feel and you don't understand why you are feeling that way. My mum just says "she is having a dizzy day" :joyful:. At least I can now tell my colleagues why I often feel unwell and I can hopefully be able to take the right action if I do get a hypo. Jeez, I've been doing it all wrong for years!
Bloody frustrating ain't it!
You know it's not what the doctors say it is!
The symptoms don't match what you say they are.

I think the next step is to get yourself an endocrinologist! With a bit of luck, you will get one that recognises the symptoms. Ask your GP to refer you to one that knows about RH.

The people on this forum, myself included will hope to help you with anything to make your life better.
Do you keep a food diary?
If not start one and I take it you have a glucose monitor, then you can start testing and recording what happens to you after eating certain foods and drinks.
This will get you knowledge if you can't eat certain foods or have a limit on the amount you eat. I can't eat dairy, but I can do small pieces of fruit. Others are the reverse. Only you can find out which you can. One thing is certain that starchy carbs like spuds, carrots, turnips are not good, and most grains especially wheat and oats are real baddies.
For everything you have at low GI, there is a low carb alternative. The low carb forum is great for ideas, recipes.

Again, welcome to our unique club, we are very special!

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Nosher! Bloody frustrating just about sums it up. I am keeping a food diary and testing. My glucose monitor is my new best friend because rather than thinking I am going loopy I can test and take remedial action. I will have to come up with a name for it

Reactions: 2 people