Blood sugar spike after sex...

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have noticed that there seems to be a pattern of my sugars being really high the morning after sex.
I thought at first that it might be just a coincidence, but since I have been noting EVERYTHING to spot patterns in highs/lows, it is cropping up too much for it to be that. My reading can be 6 before bed and then 17 in the morning? It's incredibly frustrating and diminishes the after happy in the morning when you wake up feeling awful.
Does anybody else seem to have the same thing happen? If so, would you mind sharing how you managed to control it?
I don't really want to plan when I'm going to be intimate and adjust basal rates etc, as it's already a mood killer having to test beforehand - though experience has taught me that almost going unconscious during is an even bigger turn off! :facepalm: So I always test lol. I can laugh now, but I assure you that it was not in the least bit amusing at the time!
However, if adjusting basal is the only way, I think I'll have to compromise some of the time. I can't really ignore it because it would make my morning readings frequently high (lucky me hehe ;)) and that is not going to do me any favours in the long run.

I would really appreciate the advice ... I think the boyfriend is terrified that I'm going to tell him 'no more' :D

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you be having a hypo during the night afterwards? It may be worth testing to see.

Sometimes people go low overnight without realising and then their body compensates and they wake up with a high.

Reactions: 2 people

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you be having a hypo during the night afterwards? It may be worth testing to see.

Sometimes people go low overnight without realising and then their body compensates and they wake up with a high.

I can't say no for sure because I haven't woken up to test but I am quite sensitive to night time hypos and I would have thought that it would wake me. Like I said - I haven't tested though.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Worth a test if only to rule it out, I'd say. I haven't had the same problem, but it was the first thing that occurred to me. Maybe you're going low and kind of hovering just above what would normally wake you, and then your body is compensating and making you high.

My only other idea is could your sleep be disturbed or different afterwards, leading to a dawn phenomenon when you wouldn't normally have one? I find a disturbed night (I have a baby) can make me higher than normal.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can people be careful of giving advice when they're not on the same meds as posters. The OP is a Type 1 and on insulin.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ratty Kat, ermm, this would be funny if your sugars weren't so high.
Rather than play with basal do you need to take a bolus before hand?
Yep I know what that sounds like -spontaneous diabetes ain't. Or if not instead of the "cigarette" afterwards a bolus then? Followed by testing to see.
Sounds like your body is reacting like it's anaerobic exercise. Ermm no judgement here just jealousy.
The plus side, lots of practice to "research"?

1 unit to 10g if carbs, 1 unit for ......

What an excuse for higher hbA1c.
Also I find the more I do anaerobic exercise the lower the spike and the faster the snatch back of sugar. Just saying.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sex releases stress hormones which can significantly impact your BG levels, according to my health team. As can other things. In my last job I found presenting to huge audiences in a pressured environment could shoot my BG to 20mmol without having eaten, and using my usual basal.

Reactions: pennyk

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
hi
i am type 1 and have been for many years. If I get up a little later in the morning than normal (even 1 hour ) my sugar level is usually higher. This is likely caused as my slow acing insulin does not last 24 hours , but just 21 hours with me.
So could it be you are waking and getting up a little later.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any, completely non specific, vigorous physical activity can produce adrenaline - adrenaline can stop your insulin sensitivity. That's why lots of people bolus for exercise. It's probably fine to bolus post-exercise to reduce the spike.

"That was so much fun I need to bolus" is maybe the weirdest compliment in the world, but I'm sure it would work!

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first thought was the same as azure, that you might be dropping, so I would think it best to check. I certainly find my blood sugars lower. Also, do you know how your blood sugars usually behave after other exercise? This might help you work out what is going on. If not, I think just some tests after to see where they are heading. I have certainly found in those moments (and my contented sleep after) my ability to sense a drop in sugars can get distracted!

paramedic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, unkindness, unfairness, bad manners
My bloods drop after sex?

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Any, completely non specific, vigorous physical activity can produce adrenaline - adrenaline can stop your insulin sensitivity. That's why lots of people bolus for exercise. It's probably fine to bolus post-exercise to reduce the spike.

"That was so much fun I need to bolus" is maybe the weirdest compliment in the world, but I'm sure it would work!

I love skiing but get a big adrenaline rush resulting in an increase in BGL. I can correct ".... need to bolts" but have to watch the tail end when I stop and the adrenaline drops off as this usually results in a low so need post skiing snacks.

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worth a test if only to rule it out, I'd say. I haven't had the same problem, but it was the first thing that occurred to me. Maybe you're going low and kind of hovering just above what would normally wake you, and then your body is compensating and making you high.

My only other idea is could your sleep be disturbed or different afterwards, leading to a dawn phenomenon when you wouldn't normally have one? I find a disturbed night (I have a baby) can make me higher than normal.

I usually have to compensate for the dawn phenomenon and my sleep patterns are generally the same as if I'm not doing anything beforehand. Except perhaps sleep a little more soundly lol.

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ratty Kat, ermm, this would be funny if your sugars weren't so high.
Rather than play with basal do you need to take a bolus before hand?
Yep I know what that sounds like -spontaneous diabetes ain't. Or if not instead of the "cigarette" afterwards a bolus then? Followed by testing to see.
Sounds like your body is reacting like it's anaerobic exercise. Ermm no judgement here just jealousy.
The plus side, lots of practice to "research"?

1 unit to 10g if carbs, 1 unit for ......

What an excuse for higher hbA1c.
Also I find the more I do anaerobic exercise the lower the spike and the faster the snatch back of sugar. Just saying.

I did consider that it was perhaps a reaction like anaerobic exercise, but I admittedly haven't really had enough practice during the day to work out bolus rates for that and it scares me a little when experimenting with night time insulin changes. Will have to set multiple alarms and test I think to see what happens!

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that I am just going to have to 'practice' a lot with adjusting insulin for this activity to see how I can counteract the highs.
However will I break the news to my boyfriend? ...hehe ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Just a wild thought...?! (don't answer this.)

Glycerin & propylene glycol. In certain "personal lubricants"?

Hey! We all like to "experiment". It's easy to forget certain ingredients in this stuff.

That's why I avoid chocolate body paint on principle... "Giggidy!"

Reactions: 3 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
Just a wild thought...?! (don't answer this.)

Glycerin & propylene glycol. In certain "personal lubricants"?

Hey! We all like to "experiment". It's easy to forget certain ingredients in this stuff.

That's why I avoid chocolate body paint on principle... "Giggidy!"

OMG REALLY!!!!!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG REALLY!!!!!!

I was actually thinking along the lines of "decorating"?

A long while back I had concerns about sugar soap & Googled the contents..? You hear the word "sugar" & think what will this do to my BS if in contact with skin..? Sugar soap as it turns out, is D friendly!! :D

So, then I Googled "lube". It's not conclusive really... But it's worth bearing in mind regarding certain products.? (I'm no Doctor Ruth.) lol

It just leaves my internet history tarnished more than anything else...:oops:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I think that I am just going to have to 'practice' a lot with adjusting insulin for this activity to see how I can counteract the highs.
However will I break the news to my boyfriend? ...hehe ;)
I'm sure he'll just grugingly help you with the experiment!:rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people