insight infusion sets

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Flexi can kink a bit and I assume it causes occlusions. I can see they are bent a bit when I remove them. Ive never had that problem with steel cannulas
As they go in with a steel introducer needle then if it were me I would be looking at the length of the cannula. Have you tried different lengths? What length do you use now?
If you are using the link assist thingy can you insert without it and or check with your dsn or rep you are using it correctly.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
you can insert them manually (never tried it) but it could well be a faulty inserter

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive tried both, with inserter and manually. I use 6 mm. I don't know, maybe I do something wrong. I'm seeing my consultant on Wednesday so will talk about it. Thanks for your replies :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I use the 8mm ewelina, when I first got put on the pump the rep said the 6mm where for kids and very thin people (if you are thin they should be fine) Ive only used my stomach but if I used my legs I would need the 6mm ones as my thighs are very slim with having the operations on them both

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the 8mm ewelina, when I first got put on the pump the rep said the 6mm where for kids and very thin people (if you are thin they should be fine) Ive only used my stomach but if I used my legs I would need the 6mm ones as my thighs are very slim with having the operations on them both
Unfortunately I'm not very thin (not even just thin haha) so maybe that's a problem. No idea why my nurse gave me 6mm

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was abit put off by the 8mm as the needles I was using were 4mm and thought wow this is gonna sting, but Ive only had 2 that (not sting but were a little uncomfortable until I removed the box and needle) and one bent cannula which was in my upper stomach and I'am a little leaner there, and it was in the first week so I probably rushed it.

Let us know how you get on please :)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ewèlina

I can see your face when you get the Tenderlink. ....you will want the frozen peas :eek::p
Ive just collected them. The needle is VERY impressive:eek::eek::eek: I'm not scared of needles but this one makes me sweat

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I shuddered watching the vidoes on the accu-check site !!!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
that is good to know ewelina :D hope you have a better experience with them than the others

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched back to the Teflon (90 degree, Flex) when they withdrew the steel.

I'd been doing well on the steel apart from a few occasions like a 40 mile run and other athletic endeavours when the lack of flexibility was causing some severe discomfort and bleeding, to the extent that I almost changed one in the middle of nowhere in Scotland :inpain:

I'd gone onto those having started on Teflon bit had trouble. This time round much better, possibly more practice, so I would say persevere.

The only issue I've had this time was one set that bled quite a bit on removal, possibly nicked a small blood vessel but that could equally have happened with steel.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I switched back to the Teflon (90 degree, Flex) when they withdrew the steel.

I'd been doing well on the steel apart from a few occasions like a 40 mile run and other athletic endeavours when the lack of flexibility was causing some severe discomfort and bleeding, to the extent that I almost changed one in the middle of nowhere in Scotland :inpain:

I'd gone onto those having started on Teflon bit had trouble. This time round much better, possibly more practice, so I would say persevere.

The only issue I've had this time was one set that bled quite a bit on removal, possibly nicked a small blood vessel but that could equally have happened with steel.
I absolutely loved steel cannulas. Ive never had any problems with them and I hope they will be back in use soon. I will give flex a go though, maybe I do need some more practice.

iHs

The trick in getting these 30 degree sets to go in ok is to get the angle ok first so that when the introducer tip enters the skin, the rest of it just slides in. Once youve inserted them a few times, it gets easier. Numbing the skin off a bit with frozen peas etc helps and of course, and watch TV if need be to distract. An experienced pumper advised dabbing the hole mark with neat tee tree oil enables it to heal ok within 5-7 days.

Reactions: 3 people