Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
I was heavily pregnant with my 3rd son and in hospital but was going low in early hours of the morning. A registered nurse asked me what I needed and being a wee bit slurred said food. She got me a salad sandwich!! I challenged her and she said " but you're diabetic you can't have sugar!" so I tried to put her straight so she said would toast and jam be better to which I said of course. So she got some with DIABETIC jam!!! Unbelievable! A nursing assistant saw this and got me a packet of sweet biscuits as her daughter was diabetic. I certainly put my opinion forward after the hypo regarding the nurse!!!!

Reactions: 10 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
From my husband - at least it's not life changing!
My boss - 4 injections a day? That's excessive
Receptionist - just eat healthy and exercise more
Lady on the bus after my five year old told her I was diabetic - my cat had that
My MIL who has type 2 - drink the orange juice, you need the vitamins

Reactions: 8 people

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At least that's more accurate than injecting her with insulin. I mean that's actually a plausible situation and the right thing to do in the circumstances.

Miraculously sent via Diabetes Forum App. Probably on the 4th or 5th try :-/
Spiker, NO! Absolutely NOT, if the lady was unconscious! There was serious risk of suffocating (choking? sorry, my English is poor) her: they should just have called an ambulance and look after her to make sure she kept breathing (the safest position to put the victim is with her torso up so her tongue won't fall towards the back of her throat, blocking her breath).

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My parents went to see a doc to find out more about my diabetes (they live abroad) - that seems like a good move, go to a doctor to get some info, rigth?
Apparently the doctor said that I destroyed my pancreas (pancreas, not beta cells) because I had a virus, was stressing and was basically not looking after myself. No mention of "autoimmune". So now my parents think I did this to myself because I was not taking care of myself 0_0 I'm T1...
Oh, and apart from the insulin, apparently I need to have a special diet!
I'm very sorry for any diabetic patients of this doctor.

Other thing - my mom went to a shop and bought me a bunch of "diabetic sweets". They're musli & fruit bars - each has over 20g of carbs... I'm not sure what's "diabetic" about them.

Paulina, I can relate… I was diagnosed T1 many years ago and my mother never, never understood what T1 was, though she was a chemist and the docs explained her several times. She kept blaming and demonizing sugar… At the time I was mad at her, but now I'm older and I think perhaps she just found it a little more bearable if she could blame something, like sugar, or someone, like myself. Still very unfair, but we are all human beings.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was recently diagnosed, and my wife went and bought some diabetic sweets, and they all had the same if not more carbs. than normal sweets!!
I wonder why, as soon as you are diagnosed, everybody supposes you must be crazy about sweets, though… Well, of course your wife knows your tastes, but I met tons of people who rushed to buy me sweets as soon as they knew about my being diabetic – not even the artificially sweetened kind, by the way. But I don't go in so much for sweets, actually. Why nobody ever thought to bring me a spray of flowers, instead?

Reactions: 2 people

Lau89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From my husband - at least it's not life changing!

My ex said a similar thing, basically 'Oh well, it's not the end of the world' this was the day I was diagnosed and I was in pieces about it.

Mostly had 'You don't look diabetic'

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My ex said a similar thing, basically 'Oh well, it's not the end of the world' this was the day I was diagnosed and I was in pieces about it.

At least he's your ex. I'm still with mine!

Reactions: 3 people

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My ex's response to my diagnosis was along the lines of "that's really inconvenient"' and no, he didn't mean for me. :D

Reactions: 6 people

Annapaterson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My favourite one is "well you always knew you were a bit chunky"
Or "how did you get it? Through eating something wrong? Did it kill your pancreas?"

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got "well it could be worse.. at least you don't have cancer" my god

"Oh you are on metformin! I wish i was diabetic so i could take that i hear it helps you lose weight..." ***? Cant make this up

My nurse telling me its ok to eat carbs and lots of fruit, ready meals too aslong as its low fat (never mind about the heaps of sugar to compensate). However, i must not eat any fats even good fats cos its my weight thats keeping my sugar levels high. Ive read up so much on this forum alone that contradicts her outdated advice.

Reactions: 4 people

Annapaterson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my god my dietician would freak if she heard that. Fruit is good but in moderation. I basically lived off smoothies now I've been told I can still have them but in small quantities otherwise high sugars will last all day. My dietician said everything in moderation and don't go mental and I've been fine so far

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One of my actual Dr's post hospital visit told me my GAD indicated I was T1 but I wasn't obese so he was curious about that. Then my endo that I went to for severe weight loss told me to just eat more, NEVER taking a single drop of blood or running a single test. Yup, FIRED

Annapaterson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol smart!! My doctor acted so quickly that I was on my way to a party and was told I had to go in to hospital. Refused to listen to the nurse insisting I was going to that party. Fair to say I didn't mess with her again after that. I have to say though that all my doctors and nurses have been amazing. I can't fault them at all.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol smart!! My doctor acted so quickly that I was on my way to a party and was told I had to go in to hospital. Refused to listen to the nurse insisting I was going to that party. Fair to say I didn't mess with her again after that. I have to say though that all my doctors and nurses have been amazing. I can't fault them at all.

My new Endo is great and his nurse even better however as they are not diabetic nor inject insulin they still work on 'theory' as to how insulin works. But they have also told me I am extremely well controlled and have better BS than them.

Some people are just CLUELESS

When my mom asked how I was doing I said I would like it to be a little lower and she suggested OJ!!! LMAO
She also suggested maybe I wouldn't be so stressed if I didn't test before I ate. LMAO again. Gotta love her though

kpol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having lots of butter on my toast !
Ok, has this ever happened to anyone else.

A few years ago, I was flying to the USA with BA , and had booked a diabetic meal,( I now just order the vegy option), I was flying coach/eco and when it was meal time, was told, that they had given my meal to someone else, who had forgotten to order a diabetic meal (that person was flying first or business class). So I went for the vegy option, with a nice piece of cake as a treat!
I was just about to start eating my cake, and the same member of cabin crew who had given my diabetic meal away, took my cake," your diabetic , so you can not have cake" and gave me an apple instead !!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the flight back, I ordered a vegy meal , and guess what ? They had run out of vegy meals, and they offered me chicken or beef !

The last time I went on a long haul flight, I opted not to order meals, and just took sandwiches on, with my carry on.However I had to buy drinks in the airport, after I had gone through security. Better and cheaper food, and I knew what was in the food.

Sbritland88

A nurse taking my blood saw on my notes I was a type 1 diabetic so then kept asking me about what I could eat as a snack because "you can't just eat normal food can you?" She was then very confused when I said I eat whatever I like!

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
"So your blood pressure is high, so you need sugar"

Things wrong with this:
  • Not Pressure
  • No thanks, I don't want to intake sugar when my level is 23.7 (Connor! Take Note!)
Was trying to be helpful though, so it's alright.

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I once got a call asking me to give blood. Told the lady I was type 1 diabetic and she replied 'Okay let me know if anything changes' hahaa x