Forum questions: additional forums?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Too many subsections can be a bad thing in a forum, but I think it might be valuable to have a "Young adult" section. Especially considering that there have been several young members post in the "Teenager" forum. Personally, I think the maturity gap is much tighter between an 18 and 25 year old versus an 18 and 13 year old.

Often times, these are the people who are struggling the most (mentally and physically) and consequently need the most support. I can also imagine it can be difficult for someone in their early 20s to relate to someone older than their parents.

The Young People/Adults page subforum has been created. Do you think the subforum choices are appropriate? Is there anything missing from:

Children and Teens
Young People/Adults (18-25 - but technically there's no age restriction, it's just to demonstrate it's for older teens)
Parents
Pregnancy

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think it could be useful to enquire of people how they navigated the forum when the first arrived on the site (not necessarily finding the site); was it be using the forum search, or looked for a title of their brand of diabetes. A further poll, or enquiry could be useful to find out (unless @Administrator knows this already)how regular users land on the site, and navigate around - whether by using Watched Threads, New Posts, Recent Posts, or by focusing on their brand, for example Type 2.

If we knew that it might help inform how we might get the best from the options available. Personally, I almost always use the Recent Posts option, unless I am searching for something in particular, so the sub areas are less important to me, and therefore reflected in my comments on this thread about too many sub types.

I do still firmly believe that without some form of grouping we'll end up with sub fora that match a handful of people for each sub-type, with lots of folks apparently un-catered for. Looks like I'm going to have to put more thought into the naming of my personal sub-type. I think I'll make it very complicated and important sounding. :D

@Administrator - I can start a poll, but it might be better coming from the "inside", and maybe with a sticky on it for a week, say to try to get as many responses as we can?

Just my thoughts of course. :pompous:

Did you want to start a poll? We can sticky it - would be good to see your thoughts translated into the poll/post! :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you want to start a poll? We can sticky it - would be good to see your thoughts translated into the poll/post! :)

Polls are really, really hard to create!! I'll have a go this evening (I must be mad!). I do think it could help inform us all how people go about their "user experiences" on the forum.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Young People/Adults page subforum has been created. Do you think the subforum choices are appropriate? Is there anything missing from:

Children and Teens
Young People/Adults (18-25 - but technically there's no age restriction, it's just to demonstrate it's for older teens)
Parents
Pregnancy
Great news!

My more recent thoughts/suggestions weren't well-received by many members so let's just see how the current choices play out and modify as needed.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Great news!

My more recent thoughts/suggestions weren't well-received by many members so let's just see how the current choices play out and modify as needed.

We were trying to find those - do you have a link to that post? There were some points worth considering/discussing!

M

mrspuddleduck

Just posting to bump this back up the list, so its nice and easy to find on review day!:p
(runs for the door...........):)

Reactions: 2 people