Pasta,Rice, Root Veg recommendations

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I've only recently been diagnosed Type 2 and have been searching for low carb ideas when I came across the courgetti in Sainsburys this week. I haven't bought it yet but will try it soon. Does it taste nice and not break up? One of the things I am upset about the most is not being able to eat accompaniments like pasta/rice/chips so I would be grateful if anyone has found products that taste good similar to these but are lower in carbs. I keep seeing Bulgar wheat on various sites, but am not sure how to cook this, or what it goes with and if it is actually very low in carbs? I also cant understand why baby boiled new potatoes are supposed to be better than mashed potato or baked? And roast potatoes are better too? I also love root veg especially parsnips and making low fat casseroles, but it seems that parsnips, carrots, swede and potatoes are among the highest carb veg out there. Its quite scary thinking that I can never have a normal meal again with my partner/family or when eating out etc. Im possibly going out for a carvery this Sunday and am even worried about having a stuffing ball or yorkshire pudding!! The stuffing is my favourite part of a Sunday dinner!! Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: 10 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jal16 . Thank you. I didn't know about the sainsburys courgetti I will definetly go and have a look for that. Thanks again. :):):)

Reactions: 2 people

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I've only recently been diagnosed Type 2 and have been searching for low carb ideas when I came across the courgetti in Sainsburys this week. I haven't bought it yet but will try it soon. Does it taste nice and not break up? One of the things I am upset about the most is not being able to eat accompaniments like pasta/rice/chips so I would be grateful if anyone has found products that taste good similar to these but are lower in carbs. I keep seeing Bulgar wheat on various sites, but am not sure how to cook this, or what it goes with and if it is actually very low in carbs? I also cant understand why baby boiled new potatoes are supposed to be better than mashed potato or baked? And roast potatoes are better too? I also love root veg especially parsnips and making low fat casseroles, but it seems that parsnips, carrots, swede and potatoes are among the highest carb veg out there. Its quite scary thinking that I can never have a normal meal again with my partner/family or when eating out etc. Im possibly going out for a carvery this Sunday and am even worried about having a stuffing ball or yorkshire pudding!! The stuffing is my favourite part of a Sunday dinner!! Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Hi jal 16.
About the courgetti. I stir fry mine in a little coconut oil, season with s&p. It will keep its shape and be tender.
First time I did it, I steamed it and it was mushy and fell apart.

Reactions: 6 people

Quackers19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jal 16.
About the courgetti. I stir fry mine in a little coconut oil, season with s&p. It will keep its shape and be tender.
First time I did it, I steamed it and it was mushy and fell apart.
I think that your over worrying, I've had T2 for 1 & 1/2yrs now, profesionals don't want you to suffer missing out on everything, just to have smaller amounts of the bad stuff, I still go out for meals, drink is the worst thing even having a small pudding ok. I have been quite bad for the past year still eating sweet stuff, I would average BGL's of about 12 at that time, for two weeks I have been on a diet for 2wks & that has caused me much more problems, I had my first real Hypo 3 days into it, only good thing is my blood sugars now average 6-7 but you really have to watch then as your much closer to getting a hypo that low.
Another scenario was when I was in the US in Sept for the US Open tennis, eating **** food, drinking hot & cold coffee & not enough water heat in the 90'sF, so sweating a lot, after a week of this I was ill having hyper's for 3 days, I also had trouble with the time change & when to inject my insulin. Hope this help's? I am aware that people have their own opinions, I'm just judging it on my experience.

Reactions: 8 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi jal16:). Why not check your b.s. before and eat a plateful of the vegetables you like, then test 2 hours after to see what the result is? Eating the things that you like are not going to kill you! It's more likely going to give you a bit higher reading. There's lots of things that I still eat, but not too often. Moderation and having a smaller plate is what I have been told by Diabetes Consultant.:)

Reactions: 11 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @liam1955 about testing your personal reactions to different foods and different portion sizes - it can be eye opening!

Reactions: 10 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At first I had small portions of starchy foods, and then, more out of convenience, I stopped eating them. I do miss them though. A few days ago I made my first cauliflower rice and it was amazing!! So good, with lamb and coriander.... Now I am making toad in the hole with almond flour, let's see how that goes ;)

Reactions: 11 people

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to look for low GI carbs ...

Since you're at Sainsbury, you can check out the Sainsbury Basmati low-GI rice :

http://www.healthyindiandiet.com/blog/healthy-basmati-rice

I take a similar low-GI rice, about 1 or 1.5 cups during lunch, and around 1 cup at dinner, all ok. Of course, that's just me, and I guess my meds are good too, 5 to 6.5 range the whole day from the moment I take my meds until I go to bed (like 2 to 3 am).

I don't know if it really works, but I do drink Gymnema tea after lunch/dinner as well.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jal16 :) You really struck a chord with me when you said you were scared you would never be able to enjoy a family meal or meal out again. I used to feel exactly the same. But please believe me when I say there's no reason at all why you shouldn't. It's all about moderation and carefully monitoring the majority of your diet.
I stay lower carb 90% of the time, if not more. But if I'm going out to eat I don't worry too much about it - although I do stay sensible about it. So, using your example of the carvery. If it was me I would choose what carbs I was going to treat myself to. For example, I would have 1 stuffing ball, 1 piece of parsnip, no yorkshire and no potatoes. Plenty of meat and veg and gravy. I don't eat out very often so I might even have a pudding. I'm full after meal so am happy to pick at it and chat to friends - just enjoying a sweet treat but not eating the whole thing.
Another thing I've taken to doing is picking one saturday evening a month. On that evening, myself and my hubby crack open a bottle of wine, we cook together - and for that eve I don't give my diabetes a thought. We cook whatever meal we fancy and I enjoy it. BUT I DO STILL MONITOR MY PORTION SIZES!
The other thing to bear in mind here is that following a low carb diet has led to a substantial weight loss (I've gone from a size 20 to a size 16 since last september). You'll find that as the weight comes off, your insulin resistance also starts to reduce - and you can have these occasional treats without seeing big spikes in your BG's.

Reactions: 7 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Since you're at Sainsbury, you can check out the Sainsbury Basmati low-GI rice :

I take a similar low-GI rice, about 1 or 1.5 cups during lunch, and around 1 cup at dinner, all ok. Of course, that's just me, and I guess my meds are good too, 5 to 6.5 range the whole day from the moment I take my meds until I go to bed (like 2 to 3 am).

I don't know if it really works, but I do drink Gymnema tea after lunch/dinner as well.
Hi MarcoRiveira, Ill definatly check out the low GI rice next time Im in Sainsburys, I work near one but am off tomorrow :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can manage a small portion of Brown basmati rice it is very filling so a small portion leaves you feeling that you have had a portion of rice !!
CAROL

Reactions: 4 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jal16 :) You really struck a chord with me when you said you were scared you would never be able to enjoy a family meal or meal out again. I used to feel exactly the same. But please believe me when I say there's no reason at all why you shouldn't. It's all about moderation and carefully monitoring the majority of your diet.
I stay lower carb 90% of the time, if not more. But if I'm going out to eat I don't worry too much about it - although I do stay sensible about it. So, using your example of the carvery. If it was me I would choose what carbs I was going to treat myself to. For example, I would have 1 stuffing ball, 1 piece of parsnip, no yorkshire and no potatoes. Plenty of meat and veg and gravy. I don't eat out very often so I might even have a pudding. I'm full after meal so am happy to pick at it and chat to friends - just enjoying a sweet treat but not eating the whole thing.
Another thing I've taken to doing is picking one saturday evening a month. On that evening, myself and my hubby crack open a bottle of wine, we cook together - and for that eve I don't give my diabetes a thought. We cook whatever meal we fancy and I enjoy it. BUT I DO STILL MONITOR MY PORTION SIZES!
The other thing to bear in mind here is that following a low carb diet has led to a substantial weight loss (I've gone from a size 20 to a size 16 since last september). You'll find that as the weight comes off, your insulin resistance also starts to reduce - and you can have these occasional treats without seeing big spikes in your BG's.
Hi LinsT, I was thinking about all of the typical "pub meals" and 2 for 1 etc. And the carveries!! I don't go for meals that often, but I do love potatoes. I did read somewhere that roast potatoes are better as the sugar is released slower into the blood? But mash is very high in carbs. Also baby new potatoes are supposed to be ok? I love stuffing but would obviously just have one stuffing ball and a small amount of the spuds and then lots of veg (apart from carrots and peas), I can live without desert luckily, its more savoury which is my downfall :arghh: I am going to try to watch the portions as you say, moderation rather than cutting out totally is definitely more likely to be something that we can stick with. Your weight loss is great by the way, I hope I can do half as well. I see so many people's starting weights and BG levels on this site, and their current weights and BG levels are so inspirational. It keeps me going when I am walking down the crisps aisle in the supermarket or seeing the yellow tickets on healthy meals in the "still fresh" section and as much as I love a bargain they are no longer healthy for me :mad: Thanks for your help Lins. :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jal16 . Thank you for posting about courgetti. I found some in M&S and rather like it. It cooks in its pouch in the microwave for less than 3 minutes. It needs a good drain in a sieve. Today I found butternut squash tagliatelle which is il be trying tomorrow. Thanks again

Reactions: 7 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored

HI WERE DO YOU GET THETHE GYMNEMA TEA FROM

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@jal16 . Thank you for posting about courgetti. I found some in M&S and rather like it. It cooks in its pouch in the microwave for less than 3 minutes. It needs a good drain in a sieve. Today I found butternut squash tagliatelle which is il be trying tomorrow. Thanks again
Hi, Im glad you like the courgetti, do you mind me asking how much it is in M&S? The one in Sainsburys is 1.20 a bag but I dont know if the serving size is different. What I`'m mainly interested in though is the butternut squash tagliatelle that you've found!!o_O Sounds good as I bought a whole butternut squash earlier this week with lots of ideas but its still in my fridge, intact!!! I fancied trying to make some veg crisps but haven't dared try yet. I know its probably more economical to make these things myself, but sometimes I can't see that its worth all the hardwork & mess involved to end up with a small portion of something that you can pay a little more for and buy!! Its like prior to being diagnosed T2 I loved proper squeezed orange juice with bits and did think about buying one of the whole juicer machines, but after picturing the mess and washing up involved I thought better of it :hilarious: On one of my lunchtime treks this week by the way I found "Caulirice" ready made in the rice section in Sainsburys. I have bought a cauliflour and am going to try to make rice from it but thought I would say that its available ready made in a packet at 2 pounds!!:wideyed:

Reactions: 3 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think that your over worrying, I've had T2 for 1 & 1/2yrs now, profesionals don't want you to suffer missing out on everything, just to have smaller amounts of the bad stuff, I still go out for meals, drink is the worst thing even having a small pudding ok. I have been quite bad for the past year still eating sweet stuff, I would average BGL's of about 12 at that time, for two weeks I have been on a diet for 2wks & that has caused me much more problems, I had my first real Hypo 3 days into it, only good thing is my blood sugars now average 6-7 but you really have to watch then as your much closer to getting a hypo that low.
Another scenario was when I was in the US in Sept for the US Open tennis, eating **** food, drinking hot & cold coffee & not enough water heat in the 90'sF, so sweating a lot, after a week of this I was ill having hyper's for 3 days, I also had trouble with the time change & when to inject my insulin. Hope this help's? I am aware that people have their own opinions, I'm just judging it on my experience.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I am still waiting for delivery of my monitor so cant tell what affects me most yet. Sounds a bit of a nightmre in the US? Ive been to New York once and it was freezing at Christmas time. Their food portions were massive!! What does a hypo feel like? I have been getting more an more irritable, at work. Dizzy. Unable to concentrate and tearful. Also sometimes feel like Im falling or off balance? :blackeye:

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited by a moderator:

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you enjoy root veg or starchy potatoes you can change their complete structure just by cooking them then allowing them to cool and then heating them again .When you reheat the second time it does not change them back to starchy veg .Cuts out the carbs and the sugar rise .
I've found a similar effect with rice. For convenience I sometimes buy packets of ready cooked rice - the stuff u stick in the microwave for 2 mins. A small portion of the wholemeal rice doesn't register on my meter.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@jal16 and @mo53 Thanks for heads up about the courgetti and butternut squash tagliatelli, I will look out for them.
I thought I should say that Holland & Barretts sell 'Slim Pasta' which is also 0 carbs. It's made from Konjac flour, and comes in Spaghetti, Fettucini, and Penne (I think). I bought a (270g) pack of the spaghetti and fettucini. They are a bit dear, I can't remember exactly but I think they are about £1.60 each, but H&B often do 2 for 1 offers.
I haven't tried them yet so can't say what they taste like.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @jal16 and @Prem51 . I am unsure of the price but think they were £1.50.
I've just been to look for weight or price and have found they call it butternut noodles not tagliatelle. Sorry. It is a 250g packet which they regard as 2 portions. I have shared comfortably but equally I ate a whole packet yesterday without problems. Lol. I think there must be another veg in the range. I will need to find out.

Reactions: 4 people