Is Slimming World healthy and effective for those with diabetes?

Derek's_wife

My husband is on metformin. He is also taking beta blockers for a heart condition. Could Slimming World help? He is thinking about joining, but wants reassurance that this is OK with diabetes. He has 4+ stone to lose. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lady my daughter knows goes to Slimming World and she is an insulin dependant diabetic and has been for many years She says that she has never been better than since she started Slimming World she has lost weight which she had always struggled to do before and she says her BG levels are the lowest they have ever been she has more energy and she feels really healthy now so it obviously suits her but may not be for everyone. I have heard on here that some others have done Slimming World

Reactions: 7 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have found it to be great. as the above poster said, it's not for everyone, people know slimming world as telling you to eat carbs till your hearts content, but they have different plans to suit different people, you find what works for you and can tailor meals, I was a big fan of low carb high fat but for other health reasons can't do that no more so slimming world is great for me :)

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My husband is on metformin. He is also taking beta blockers for a heart condition. Could Slimming World help? He is thinking about joining, but wants reassurance that this is OK with diabetes. He has 4+ stone to lose. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If in doubt he is best to check with his Dr first.

My wife did the Slimming World diet several years ago and lost 3 stone, at the time there was a chap in the same group who had type 2 and he lost 5 stone (and was still losing weight).

Maybe also worth checking with the SW course co-ordinator too just to be sure.

Reactions: 6 people

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
hi I have insulin controlled diabetes i joined slimming world at the request of my health trust who paid for me to have 12 weeks free this was in april last year since then i have paid myself for further membership and since have lost 3 stone i intend to remain in sw i need to lose another three stone I can honestly say that I thougherly recommend anyone to join slimming world they really help everyone who wants to lose weight not just for health reasons It really changes your life and the way you eat you never go hungry so Derek speak to your local health trust and give it a try

Yvette18

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi, I joined Slimming World in June 2015. I had been struggling to get my levels down and lose weight. My general health and energy levels were dreadful. So far I've lost 20lbs, I am halfway to my target weight. But the biggest change is in my health, no more headaches, aching joints, recurring infections etc. My target from my my diabetes nurse was 58, it had been 93 in September 2014, by September 2015 it was 49! They have already taken into account people with diabetes and all I can say is give it a go for at least 3 months. So as you are committed to it you will get results and you don't have to miss out on the foods that you love.

Reactions: 11 people

Yvette18

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi, I forgot to mention in my original post that I've also been able to halve the amount of insulin I need to inject.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the people answering your question have been insulin dependent or speaking about insulin dependents.

This means that they can use insulin to control their blood glucose levels.

If Derek is just on metformin to control his blood glucose (the beta blockers are for other stuff) then his blood glucose levels are nowhere near as well controlled as if he were injecting correct amounts of insulin - if he eats carbs.

Depending on the dose, metformin will lower average blood glucose by a couple of mmol/l, but it is unable to even out high spikes.

So really, it all depends on whether the Slimming World diet contains too many carbs for Derek's body to cope with. Even if he loses weight, the carbs and blood glucose spikes could harm him - if they are too high.

Does he have a blood glucose meter so he can test his body's blood glucose reaction to the diet?

trebor26

Hi, I am in my third week of slimming world, and my blood sugar has dropped dramatically. Last Sept I started to increase my insulin because my BS was going up rapidly, it was about 12/13, after less than three weeks at slimming world it is back to normal and I feel great.

wendypendine

I have type 2 and was on three different medications for it, 18mths ago I weight 16st. I joined slimming world and for the first time in my life joined a gym and began to exercise now at 69 yrs old I am 11st 6lb and need no medication for my diabetes & I no longer have asthma, I swim 1/4 mile a day, do two aquarobic sessions a week, 1 hydrorider session, kettlebell, circuit and boxercise training and two or three structured gym session a week. Before I could not even get to the top of the stairs withour stopping. Whilst it hasn't cured my bladder cancer or thyroid problems it has certainly been totally effective on everything else. I really believe everyone diagnosed with type 2 should be trying Slimming world as it is not just a diet it is the lifestyle change we all need. I began my change of lifestyle feeling like a fat useless old woman I now feel and look years younger and am enjoying life again., I would advise you to join at the same time even if you only need to lose a pound or two so you can fully support him on his journey to better health. One of the good things about SW is once you reach your target weight and for as long as you stay within 3lbs of it you do not have to pay for the sessions, which gives you ongoing support for life..

MISTY10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Slimming world is the only diet my doc would actually recommend. I've done it a couple of times but you will need to save half your sins for those darned hypos !!

Reactions: 8 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Basically you probably don't need to follow any branded diet but it you follow SW then do avoid any high carb foods as these will raise blood sugar and hence not good for diabetes. Fat is not a problem for us so avoid 'low-fat' products and go for 'low-carb' ones.

Reactions: 4 people

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
Slimming World is safe, when I said to my DN about joining she said go for it, they do have advice specifically for us and I have been going for 4 months, my weight loss is slow but steady overall, it is good as the group as a whole supports each other and we have a lot of fun, as we are all in the same boat with weight we can discuss anything.
And Yes it is safe, I am insulin dependant and needed to learn low to live more healthily, it meant re=learning what and how to eat and it is working for me

susyq

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I joined sw three weeks ago. Im nearlly blind and cant see to cook. They reccomended their own sw ready meals which i did eat but not for me, too spicy the meatballs and far too much pasta in the bakes. On top of which i cant fathom it out. I cant get an appoinment with a diebetes nurse for another fortnight. So i didnt bother to go this week. I did lose one pound ladt week but that was due to changes i made not to sw! Im type 2 and new to all of this. I dont start on the educatiobal course until March. I have waited 15 month to get on that course! And like i say i dont understand anything about diabetes and sw. Wishing i werent here right now xx

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with Slimming World is that it is low fat. This may well help you lose weight, but long term it isn't healthy. I was referred to SW by my GP but only went to the weigh-in, I followed LCHF instead. I went to SW for 2 x 12 weeks for free and lost over 10% of my body weight in that time (by not following the SW diet.).

Last edited by a moderator:

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I joined sw three weeks ago. Im nearlly blind and cant see to cook. They reccomended their own sw ready meals which i did eat but not for me, too spicy the meatballs and far too much pasta in the bakes. On top of which i cant fathom it out. I cant get an appoinment with a diebetes nurse for another fortnight. So i didnt bother to go this week. I did lose one pound ladt week but that was due to changes i made not to sw! Im type 2 and new to all of this. I dont start on the educatiobal course until March. I have waited 15 month to get on that course! And like i say i dont understand anything about diabetes and sw. Wishing i werent here right now xx
Dear Susyq, don't give up hope, I have just started reading these forums and there is no doubt that if we avoid loads of carbs and do some light exercise (to start) that it can only be for the good. It's shocking that someone in your condition (nearly blind) hasn't got some support, I do hope you find some, in the mean time, I'm routing for you ...not much I know, but sometimes it helps !! Best wishes....

Reactions: 4 people

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actually , one thought, having re read your post....when you go to your slimming world session, suggest you have a word with the person running it 1) they could give you direct guidance on how to use SW with diabetes and 2) ask if there's anyone you could 'buddy up with' ....I'm in solution mode :) best wishes again

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I looked at a range of diets as a type 2 when I decided to lose weight SW was one of them, I discounted it due to the low fat restrictiveness of it, the first choice I opted to try was the LCHF which worked for me, I was going to do a weekly sample of a few diets to see what suited me, however the LCHF worked so well I never got to try any others.

since Nov 2015 I've lost 14 kg and most of my long list of other medical conditions have cleared up or seen a major improvement my BG massively dropped over the past 3 months I've currently stopped all my diabetic medications and BG is 5-7 which when I started was running at between 22-30+
I use spices too fenugreek, cinnamon and turmeric, and have green smoothies.

I'd advise whatever diet is for you, that it shouldn't be one that is a chore and isn't something that will be unsustainable in the short to medium term. I've taken the no pasta, rice, potatoes and high starchy veg, but i can honestly say I've not missed any of them even to the degree I shop for treats for my girlfriend and it doesn't tempt me one bit to fall off the no sugar wagon.

I was at loggerheads with my GP, but they have seen how well this approach has worked, they are now fully onboard with it, I've dropped over 20 different medications for various ailments and now only take the essential 3 and as a result they are happy to supply as many test strips as I need.

K

Kat100

Have a chat with slimming word , slimming world and weight watchers have been used by members in the past ..
Good luck with whatever you decide .. Best wishes

Reactions: 2 people