Should I eat breakfast?

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed T2 on New Years Eve, with an HbA1C reading of 97. GP advised me to try to lose weight (BMI of 27, about 1.5 stone overweight) and so I have embarked on a LCHF diet, although more LC than HF! If I don't get my HbA1C reading down, then GP will consider meds.

So I have been good about diet (I exercise loads anyway) and also bought a meter a few days ago. Readings during the day have been ok, but i have been 6.7 in the last three mornings. Last night I was 7.1 two hours after dinner, then was 6.7 on waking (7am). Ive just been to the gym (no breakfast), have just tested again (10.30 am) and the reading is now 10.2! All I've had since 7pm last night is two cups of black coffee and lots of water.

Prior to diagnosis I always had breakfast, either toast or porridge. I haven't had breakfast since diagnosis, as the low carb options don't apppeal, plus on weekdays I haven't got time to do anything like bacon and eggs.

I've read about dawn syndrome (liver dumping) on here, but still can't understand why the sugar levels are rising through the morning when I'm not eating anything. Would it be better to eat something like eggs first thing, or would that just push the levels up even more? I'd be really interested to know if anyone else has found that eating a low carb breakfast brought their sugar levels down.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Your liver would have dumped on you because you went so long without food and/or you needed a boost of energy for your gym work.

If you fancy breakfast but don't have time to cook in the morning, how about boiled eggs that you can prepare the night before?

Reactions: 2 people

jg.paul86@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Soap operas.
Thanks for your info too many crisps. I was told by those in the know that scrambled, poached or boiled eggs were the ideal breakfast for a diabetic as they contain protein and not carbohydrates. However if you take them with bread or toast then this goes towards your maximum allowance of only two slices of bread per day! Keep trying.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you had put some cream into your 2 coffees the fat would have given you a source of energy to utilise. This may have lessened the need for your liver to release glucose.

Ultimately, following a LC diet should reduce the amount of glucose stored in your liver, thus reducing the effect of a Liver Dump.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jg.paul86@ how do you know that the OP has a maximum limit of 2 slices of bread per day ?

Has he mentioned it before ?

Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm not eating any bread at the moment (I wish!). No wheat, pitatoes, rice or grains. I could cook boiled eggs in advance, and eat a couple with coffee in the morning before going to work. The idea of coffee with cream seems counter intuitive to me but I am learning from everyone else here that lots of things are counter intuitive when it come to Diabetes!

jg.paul86@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Soap operas.
Yes, my nurse practitioner in charge of my diabetes treatment said not to have more than two slices of bread per day as it is high in carbohydrate.

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a chilli the other night and made cauliflower rice for the first time so as to reduce the carb intake - really easy and honestly couldn't tell the difference! Hubby just thought it was couscous. Take all the florets off your cauli and put in food processor. Give several 2 second whizzes, adding nothing to the cauli until it looks like couscous. Can eat raw in salads like tabbouleh or cook for a few mins in a few drops of olive oil to warm through and give a rice-like texture.
Next to try is my new spiraliser to make courgette-spaghetti
I'm back from holiday with head in almost the right place for the challenge

Reactions: 4 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a chilli the other night and made cauliflower rice for the first time so as to reduce the carb intake - really easy and honestly couldn't tell the difference! Hubby just thought it was couscous. Take all the florets off your cauli and put in food processor. Give several 2 second whizzes, adding nothing to the cauli until it looks like couscous. Can eat raw in salads like tabbouleh or cook for a few mins in a few drops of olive oil to warm through and give a rice-like texture.
Next to try is my new spiraliser to make courgette-spaghetti
I'm back from holiday with head in almost the right place for the challenge

Hi, I am eating cauliflower rice regularly, and love it. I'm very lazy - I know I could/should make my own but Tesco sell it ready done in their "prepared veg" section. I cant imagine eating it for breakfast though.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TooManyCrisps

Set the alarm 15 minutes earlier and have a quick bacon and eggs would be my suggestion

I think my husband would divorce me if I set the alarm any earlier! I have to leave the house by 07.30 to get to work, he doesn't leave until 08.30. But I am seriously contemplating making hardboiled eggs and bacon the evening before, and eating them cold for breakfast as I would have time to do that. I coukd then see if it brought my levels down mid morning.

Btw, I tested again at 11.30 and the reading was 7.2.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@TooManyCrisps it does seem to go against all the advise we have been told all our lives but fat is not the enemy, you aren't the only one who struggled with this; it took me a long time but once I tried eating more fat (healthy fats) with the low carbs my glucose levels lowered and I lost weight - completely opposite to everything we have been told by the "professionals" for the last 40 years. It is a really difficult concept to get our heads around when we have been brainwashed for so long, but our bodies are built to process fat in a much better way than sugar.

But the message is slowly getting through, there has been more media coverage regarding an increased fat intake, maybe you could start by adding a few nuts, half an avocado, full fat NAS yogurt etc. I leave for work at 6.10am, I have same for breakfast most days, a spoonful of full fat NAS yogurt with flax seeds and cinnamon, it keeps me full till noon (porridge and cereals never managed that!)

The low-carb forum has lots of recipe suggestions. If you added healthy fats then you could have avocado and a slice of parma ham for breakfast, or take a pot of full fat no-added sugar to work and add a few nuts and cinnamon. You can make omelettes in a muffin tin and reheat in microwave at work.

Making your own cauliflower rice is surprisingly easy, cut fresh caulk into small florets, put into food blender, blitz until it looks like rice/couscous - done!! I make big batches and freeze in portions then when I want it I can fry it and it only takes about 5 mins. About 90p for 5 portions. For caulk mash I often use frozen cauliflower so alway have it in stock.

HTH

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I think my husband would divorce me if I set the alarm any earlier! I have to leave the house by 07.30 to get to work, he doesn't leave until 08.30. But I am seriously contemplating making hardboiled eggs and bacon the evening before, and eating them cold for breakfast as I would have time to do that. I coukd then see if it brought my levels down mid morning.

Btw, I tested again at 11.30 and the reading was 7.2.

You're a brave girl. Cold bacon? How about 5 minutes, cut up the hard boiled egg and fry some bacon ..... that's really quick.

Or prepare some cooked bacon and minced beef the night before, glad wrap them in the fridge and then throw it all into a frypan. One minute.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're a brave girl. Cold bacon? How about 5 minutes, cut up the hard boiled egg and fry some bacon ..... that's really quick.

Or prepare some cooked bacon and minced beef the night before, glad wrap them in the fridge and then throw it all into a frypan. One minute.

Ok, I give in! I'll eat the bacon hot. I can also save time by leaving the pan for my husband to wash up

Reactions: 6 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, my nurse practitioner in charge of my diabetes treatment said not to have more than two slices of bread per day as it is high in carbohydrate.

How about trying no slices of bread. A much better idea if you have diabetes.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you don't want to spend 3-4 minutes cooking bacon, ham might do instead.

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think most of us have come to realise that we must take the advice of the diabetic nurse with a pinch of salt. Test with a meter to see what bread does to you. It is banned altogether in our house. We do have sliced Lidl High Protein Rolls in the freezer that can be used for a very special treat. 2 slices of bread a day is the road to diabetic complications ...............

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well, I am impressed! your nurse practitioner earns mucho brownie points for being on the ball. Most health care professionals don't realise how bad carbs are for us, and tell us to eat the 'brown' carbs all the time. :)

Were you also warned off large portions of rice, pasta, potatoes and sweet fruit? If so, your nurse practictioner is a rare and wonderful creature. :D:D:D

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Healthy Smoothies are quick and easy to make the night before and store in the fridge. Easy to get down when you're pushed for time or don't fancy cooked breakfast.