Can't give me my HbA1c?

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Today, as I've done since 2012, I rang my GP's for my HbA1c result - blood taken last Thursday.

Young Lady: "Yes, it is back, doctor says it's OK.".
Me: "Thank-you, what is the figure?".
YL: "I'm sorry, I can't tell you that, but you can book an appointment with the doctor or diabetic nurse."
Me: "You can't give me my own HbA1c result? I've rung for it, just like this for years."
YL: "Changed policy." (or words to that effect).

I didn't lose my temper. Surprised me.

I actually have an appointment booked with my diabetes nurse for Thursday. She tells me when she wants it done (at our last meeting - early January), I make the blood letting appointment one Thursday and an appointment with her a week later. On the Monday before I see the nurse I (usually) get the result and if necessary check through all the readings I have since the last HbA1c and my detailed carbs blog. Then I turn up to see the nurse with my conclusions and, if necessary, a plan to correct any adverse trend.

I did press the young lady to confirm that it was less than 40. When I saw my doctor last, in June, he wanted it to stay around 40 which is where the annual check was. In September it had dropped to 36.

At the moment I feel that my efforts (and there have been some!) are now a complete waste of time. I shall turn up on Thursday with no information and the visit will be another waste of time. She will probably check my feet - which, whilst important, is not what I go for. This is ridiculous.

Incidentally I have noted that a number on this forum actually get printouts of blood results and such. I have tried to get mine for about 18 months. I think I've heard every excuse in the book, including "I don't know how to print them out."!

I came off insulin last July (authorised by DN in September) - she has wanted the HbA1c more frequently than the usual once a year to make sure things are OK.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think my GP surgery receptionists wouldn't tell me anything if I asked them too. I also doubt my GP would give me a printout of my results, but I will ask her when I see her for my 12 month test in September. Wouldn't the nurse have your results when you see her on Thursday?
It makes me realise why it's important for me to test myself to have an idea which direction I'm going in. Do you not test yourself?

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I rung up the receptionist to see if the results if my bloods were in she told me yes they are, they're fine and I said thats great can I pick up a printed copy, she said no problem pick them up tomorow. It never ceases to amaze me how useless some surgeries are. Its your right to request your information. At my Drs we can ring the nurse directly, are you able to do this at your Drs to discuss your results.

Reactions: 8 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery is brilliant for results - they give me figures over the phone, will print them out for me to collect if I ask and I always get a printout of them when I see the doctor / nurse.
Ultimately, they're your results and you have the right to a copy of them if you want one - don't take no for an answer!

Reactions: 11 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had bad reactions to pills and one by one they were stopped. I go for the foot tickling and eye test and I go to see DN to discuss my results. If I wasn't allowed to see the result of my blood test I wouldn't have any reason to see the DN. I would probably have to mention that at the surgery although I think my DN is well aware that we have less and less to talk about these days.

The Hba1c is the main incentive I have to behave and eat properly.

Reactions: 4 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never asked for the results over the phone, but at reception they are happy to print them out for me; they charge 50p per printed page, but have often waived it when it's just one thing (like the HbA1C, for example).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no problems at all. The receptionist will tell me the results over the phone (including the cholesterol and lipids and a few other things), and will print them all out for me to collect later. No fuss, no charge.

Reactions: 6 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
I had a similar experience last Autumn, I rang and was told "everything fine, but you need to make an appointment with the Doctor".

When I explained why I wanted my Hba1c result she got a bit flustered and I got the distinct impression she did not know which figure to quote me, particularly when she told me she wasn't trained how to give results out.

Eventually, she went to ask for some help and then she did give me the figure.

My Doctor has always been fine about quoting me figures when I have asked for them, but does not seem to routinely go into detail unless I ask.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I go online and make an appointment to see my GP and he gives me a print out of my results.:) If I was to ring the Surgery - my call go's to a Call Centre where an abrupt woman with no personality and is so rude answers.:inpain:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi Brunneria - Thank You Very Much for that link.:):)

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
the receptionists at my clinic cannot give me any figures and I ask my nurse it is like pulling teeth but I get them at last.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

goose64

I know this is annoying but it may well be because of data protection, you know you are you but the person at the other end doesn't . and maybe they're worried about people getting other people's results

Reactions: 8 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The only time I get information over the phone from my doc surgery is when I have an infection and they can't get me an appointment straight away.... so I get told yes I have an infection and I need to pick up a script for antibiotics straight away (some of my docs fax the script to my pharmacist for me). But as far as test results are concerned I usually have to book to see my doc and they won't disclose the information over the phone. My doc will give me a print out of my results usually, especially if I ask for them.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably depends on how experienced the receptionists are and whether the doc trusts them to read out the correct results!
I never have a problem getting a printout though.

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Sorry I disappeared. The last couple of weeks have been a real roller-coaster. A lump formed under my jaw a couple of months after my wife passed away a year ago. For 8 months every test said it was benign. In December I insisted that I wanted it removed which was done on 5 January. On 14 January I was called to a meeting with the consultant who had removed it. It was cancerous - limphoma a very bad, aggressive strain. Since then I've had bloods taken, more bloods taken (I didn't know I had that much in an arm); a PECT scan (they inject you with radioactive glucose!); bone marrow samples taken and an echocardiograph.

Today was results day. I'M CLEAR!
Thank God I had it out!
They are still going to give me half a course (3 sessions) of half strength chemo just to be sure. Unlike diabetics, cancer patients really do get their moneys worth - I'm not saying they shouldn't, but there is a contrast.

The point of my original message was that between the Monday (I ring up for the HbA1c) and my Thursday DN appointment, I do a lot of work poring over meticulously taken blood glucose samples, looking where it may have gone wrong (if indeed it did). Of course my DN gives me the figures when I see her. I could book into my GP and get them too. But relative to a simple number in response to my telephone request doesn't that waste their time? Without the number and my review of my results it just wastes my time!

As it happens I was at the chemo clinic before my Thursday DN appointment. I asked them and they gave me the figure. On Thursday I complained at length to my DN who bought me off with a new meter :) On Friday next I'm with my GP, pre-chemo. Yes...

J.

Reactions: 5 people

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the link Brunneria..

J.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I disappeared. The last couple of weeks have been a real roller-coaster. A lump formed under my jaw a couple of months after my wife passed away a year ago. For 8 months every test said it was benign. In December I insisted that I wanted it removed which was done on 5 January. On 14 January I was called to a meeting with the consultant who had removed it. It was cancerous - limphoma a very bad, aggressive strain. Since then I've had bloods taken, more bloods taken (I didn't know I had that much in an arm); a PECT scan (they inject you with radioactive glucose!); bone marrow samples taken and an echocardiograph.

Today was results day. I'M CLEAR!
Thank God I had it out!
They are still going to give me half a course (3 sessions) of half strength chemo just to be sure. Unlike diabetics, cancer patients really do get their moneys worth - I'm not saying they shouldn't, but there is a contrast.

The point of my original message was that between the Monday (I ring up for the HbA1c) and my Thursday DN appointment, I do a lot of work poring over meticulously taken blood glucose samples, looking where it may have gone wrong (if indeed it did). Of course my DN gives me the figures when I see her. I could book into my GP and get them too. But relative to a simple number in response to my telephone request doesn't that waste their time? Without the number and my review of my results it just wastes my time!

As it happens I was at the chemo clinic before my Thursday DN appointment. I asked them and they gave me the figure. On Thursday I complained at length to my DN who bought me off with a new meter :) On Friday next I'm with my GP, pre-chemo. Yes...

J.

That is quite the scare you had notned. I'm so glad to hear that the cancer didn't spread and they got it out for you.

Were you happy with your hbA1c result?

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery charges £5 for printout and you have to fight for it,