Can't give me my HbA1c?

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! In the US you can sue a doctor for not giving you your own medical record data. Who the hell do they think that information belongs to?

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I get mine on line within 12 hours of being tested. My old doctor rarely told me but my new one goes over the tests with great detail but I do book an appointment.

Reactions: 2 people

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Hi Mep,
I'm happy with 37 - I could have got it lower but my doc said he wanted it about 40. He said he'd heard of some people having problems when they 'forced' it below 40. Seeing him tomorrow. I'm prepared to bet he's still happy with it :)

J.

Reactions: 4 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's amazing how different the service is at different GP practices. I have my first diabetic clinic appt coming up - its run at my local GP surgery. I have received a 3 page document detailing all my tests results, weigh ins, since diagnosis. There is a section by each piece of information in which I am invited to write any questions, as well as ideas about how I would like to see my diabetes be managed. The idea is that this will be used to develop an individual care plan for me.
Seems crazy that my practice can provide this whilst others refuse to give a print out or even results!
My advice to those who are not having their needs met is to take note of some of the positive experiences on here and go and ask your local GP practice some pertinent questions as to why they are unable to provide even an approximate level of service.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm believe they were only refusing to give over the phone info which is understandable .

Zebediah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you get the "printer not working excuse" or some such similar, i just say, that no problem , do you have my info on the screen now? Can i take a photo then please? I then just use my smartphone to grab the screen.
One nurse wasn't happy, but I asked if the screen had anybody else's details on... "well no"... "am i allowed a copy of my own data?" .... "well yes..." "ok thats great - can you scroll to the left a bit so i can get it all in please" job done!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
It's amazing how different the service is at different GP practices. I have my first diabetic clinic appt coming up - its run at my local GP surgery. I have received a 3 page document detailing all my tests results, weigh ins, since diagnosis. There is a section by each piece of information in which I am invited to write any questions, as well as ideas about how I would like to see my diabetes be managed. The idea is that this will be used to develop an individual care plan for me.
Seems crazy that my practice can provide this whilst others refuse to give a print out or even results!
My advice to those who are not having their needs met is to take note of some of the positive experiences on here and go and ask your local GP practice some pertinent questions as to why they are unable to provide even an approximate level of service.
Great post

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Sorry I've been away again. First chemo last Thursday. What do I do with the carrier bag full of drugs they've sent me home with?
My docs answer was (words to the effect of) "The trouble is that it doesn't stop with a number given over the phone. Many want to discuss the implications of that value and the assistant is not qualified to do that.". OK.

LinsT - Good points, I agree, but it doesn't always get you the response you want. Mostly though, thank you for the smile in your avatar.. Just when I needed one :)

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I take my readings in on paper printed from the AgaMatrix app and they get scanned into my notes!! My GP and practice nurse are very helpful though!!

debsue21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This makes me so angry. Who does the information belong to? The results are yours, about you and you have the the right to that information. I would complain to the practice manager

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That is quite the scare you had notned. I'm so glad to hear that the cancer didn't spread and they got it out for you.

Were you happy with your hbA1c result?

Hi Mep,

Its a bit below the 40 my doctor wants to see. I don't know if I mentioned previously but he has reservations about patients who 'force' their figures down into the 30s.. Possible longer term problems. After the 36 in October I actually brought bread back into my diet to raise the figure a bit. A bit was all it did :)

Thanks all for the hugs. After the first bout of chemo I'm feeling huggered :)

If that's half strength chemo, goodness knows what the full dose is like. And it takes so long! Started at 9am (on 11th) got out at 5pm. By 10pm my temperature was well over 38 (no idea what that is in real money) at which point I rang the emergency number they had told me. By about 10:30pm they rang back to tell me to go back to the hospital - they needed blood cultures (?). When I got to the ward with the funny name it turned out to be the emergency admissions ward. I got out again at 2pm on 12th.

ricardian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Modern "music"
If you live in Scotland then I recommend registering at http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk
There's a lengthy registration process (which is reassuring) but once you have become registered then you can access a lot of your diabetes-related information (HbA1c, etc) online.

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My machine (or the site) went funny last night. There was no page 2 to this thread. Eventually, the whole thing froze with a 'Database error' or some such..