The latest diet advice I will NOT be taking

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have joined the local gym and been doing treadmill, exercise bike and rowing machine exercises in order to increase insulin sensitivity.

I thought it might also be a good idea to enquire about the council's Healthy Lifestyle Services - basically more exercise and better diet

The first thing I explained was that I was T2 diabetic.

My better diet solution is apparently to each a balanced diet of 5 a day fruit and veg, 5-8 portions of starchy foods, 2-3 of protein, 2-3 of dairy, and 0-2 teaspoons of fat and sugar. I also need to get more fibre from cereals and eat regular snacks to maintain my blood sugar.

I have been speaking to someone offering health advice who does not know what diabetes is.

Reactions: 8 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If they weren't serious, and mean it, it would be funny!

I was on this diet and others for over ten years, I ended up being nearly seventeen stone.

I still get, you don't eat carbs?

They are poisonous to me, I reply!

You're joking aren't you?

What do you eat?

You're joking aren't you?

Can you eat ............ insert answer here

And these are people in the health industry.

Reactions: 2 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I have joined the local gym and been doing treadmill, exercise bike and rowing machine exercises in order to increase insulin sensitivity.

I thought it might also be a good idea to enquire about the council's Healthy Lifestyle Services - basically more exercise and better diet

The first thing I explained was that I was T2 diabetic.

My better diet solution is apparently to each a balanced diet of 5 a day fruit and veg, 5-8 portions of starchy foods, 2-3 of protein, 2-3 of dairy, and 0-2 teaspoons of fat and sugar. I also need to get more fibre from cereals and eat regular snacks to maintain my blood sugar.

I have been speaking to someone offering health advice who does not know what diabetes is.
:hilarious::hilarious: sounds typical but it's not really funny is it? No wonder the Diabetic population is growing

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's not funny especially when it's you or your loved ones.
The wife has T2 and having to take her to the doctor or the dsn, and they are both looking at me because of previous appointments. They are learning from me!
But they are really not trained to offer advice other than the standard repertoire.
But things are changing, and we on this forum are at the forefront.

Reactions: 4 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But things are changing, and we on this forum are at the forefront.
Thank goodness. I dread to think what state I would be in now if I had been diagnosed a few years ago and given this advice.

Reactions: 6 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My parents are both unfortunately in hospital at the moment - different ones 30 miles apart - and are both diabetic. They can only choose meal options on the sheet with the correct symbol adjacent (and if they choose other items, which I did on their behalf one day, it gets changed back by staff). They're not allowed sandwiches or potatoes, but are allowed orange juice as a starter and ice cream or low fat fruit yogurt as a dessert - but not actual fruit. Their only breakfast options are toast, cornflakes or porridge. They won't let my Dad home as his BG has rocketed and they've been giving him rapid insulin with his porridge. Go figure!

Thankfully my GP practice and DN have been advocating low carbing for the last 20 years, which is the only reason I've stayed with them, they're pretty useless in every other regard.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They won't let my Dad home as his BG has rocketed and they've been giving him rapid insulin with his porridge. Go figure!

Thankfully my GP practice and DN have been advocating low carbing for the last 20 years, which is the only reason I've stayed with them, they're pretty useless in every other regard.
There is no figuring. It's just irrational. Glad you've got at least some support yourself.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you've got at least some support yourself.
Thanks yes, I've only had 2 DNs in over 20 years and thankfully, they work with me and we're good as a team. I've always been honest with them and if I've not given it as much effort as I should, I say so and therefore when I tell them I'm truly trying, they believe me. I've just had a telephone appointment with her as I'm having all sorts of issues with my insulin and we do come to decisions together - it's a proper partnership.

I suspect that it's a rarity in the NHS these days - the treatment I get should be the same for everyone (I get what NICE says that I / we should) and it saddens me that it isn't. I doubt my care costs any more than poor care, but it's down to the willingness and attitude of the staff largely. And some of that willingness is to learn and research and being prepared to embrace new thinking and also the patients wishes.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt my care costs any more than poor care, but it's down to the willingness and attitude of the staff largely. And some of that willingness is to learn and research and being prepared to embrace new thinking and also the patients wishes.
It's great that you have such a good relationship with the diabetes team. I read lots of comments from people here who seem to have a struggle. I think poor care must cost more because of the cost of treating long term complications unfortunately.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They're not allowed sandwiches or potatoes, but are allowed orange juice as a starter and ice cream or low fat fruit yogurt as a dessert - but not actual fruit. Their only breakfast options are toast, cornflakes or porridge.

When I was DX'd the same thing. I could not have an omelet or anything with salt, LOL but they sent me some regular jello and OJ. I ended up screaming at the nurse to let me go to their fresh salad bar instead of eating their foods with low fat mayo, preservative laden sauces and high carb meals. It is crazy!!

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 - they do seem more fixated on low fat, than low sugar. It makes you wonder if hospital dietitians even know what diabetes is. My Mum can't choose any of the roast meat dinners, because they have potatoes with them, yet one of the alternatives she had was a salmon bake with a breadcrumb topping - it would be easier to choose not to eat the potato than to try and avoid the topping on the 'bake'. She's had excellent care and the surgery she's had may give her mobility back, for which I'm very thankful, but the NHS does seem to have some aspects of care backwards.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I had my 72 hour fasting test in hospital, I got the usual, weetabix, toast, orange juice for my first meal, I declined and went and had bacon, eggs etc in the cafeteria.
It was an eye opener to see what are recommended for diabetics.
Clearly the 'experts' dieticians are oblivious to how food works for us!

LJRC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
tea, miserable people, swallowing large pills :)
My very first Christmas as a Type 2 back in 2014, my DN gave me this advice..."Don't deprive yourself of your Christmas food, although I cannot promise your sugar levels will go down afterwards." We have a new DN now who has told me if my sugar levels don't go down I have to go on insulin tablets. Both of these bits of 'advice', do not go down well with me. Last blood test showed that everything had gone down, blood sugar at 6.5, up a little. Now on a nice low carb diet, have lost another half a stone. Do I need insulin tablets?? I think not, I would prefer my body to make it's own, while it can, not encourage to let 'magic' pills do the work.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@LJRC Don't worry about insulin - it's given by injection, not tablets as it doesn't survive stomach acids, but as a T2, you'd have to be significantly worse than you are to need insulin. There would be many other meds that they'd try first if you needed some help. I managed my T2 with diet and exercise and gradually losing weight, for about 19 years and it was only after a medical emergency in 2010 when I lost my way and nothing I did worked well enough any more. Meds don't seem to work with me, so I chose, in consultation with my DN to go on insulin, because that was best for me.

If you've lost weight and are reducing carbs, you are already doing the right things. Exercise really helps too - I know that's the one thing I can do that makes a tangible difference to my levels. A good walk is all it needs.

MrDieselx

I just joined the gym. My personal trainer knew all about the low carb high fat diet I'm just starting. And even offered a few tips, told me to stick with cardiovascular and do full body squats..