Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi I've been successful in keeping my BS under control by diet and activity for almost 3 years and I'm pretty proud of that.
BUT ... I've now hurt my knee and I find myself slipping back to bad habits ( I do this now and again but not much ).

Anyway I listened to Jeremy Vine yesterday and they were talking about the 8 week 800 calorie plan . I think it is what I need just now , a bit of discipline to make focused while I'm restricted with a sore knee .

Just wondered what people think .
Has anyone done it , the book sites loads of success . It's really just an exaggerated low carb plan and I low carb most of the time anyway so it's really just to keep me focused like I said .

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I've been successful in keeping my BS under control by diet and activity for almost 3 years and I'm pretty proud of that.
BUT ... I've now hurt my knee and I find myself slipping back to bad habits ( I do this now and again but not much ).

Anyway I listened to Jeremy Vine yesterday and they were talking about the 8 week 800 calorie plan . I think it is what I need just now , a bit of discipline to make focused while I'm restricted with a sore knee .

Has anyone done it , the book sites loads of success . It's really just an exaggerated low carb plan and I low carb most of the time anyway so it's really just to keep me focused like I said .

It seems very like Newcastle diet, @Jamrox.
Are you finding blood glucose levels are increasing? What about HbA1c and weight? If you low carb are you having 'carb creep'? I sometimes fall into that trap, particularly when feeling a bit down or imobile. Sometimes just need to take a good look at what can small changes can be made, but I am not averse to calorie restriction when the need arises for me.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just a note of sympathy, because I am just recovering from Bursitis in one knee which makes life very frustrating. I am having to struggle to control my weight with the total lack of exercise.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamrox , I can appreciate how this could be a distraction "project", whilst you can't be terribly active. Do you want to lose weight? The only reason I ask is that almost everyone would lose weight on 800 calories a day, and if you're low carbing, it's not always easy to put it back on again.

If you decide to give it a go, good luck with it all.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other side of the coin is that by cutting calories you might slow down your metabolism so that it gets used to fewer calories. I have done this and wouldn't ever do it again.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

The other side of the coin is that by cutting calories you might slow down your metabolism so that it gets used to fewer calories. I have done this and wouldn't ever do it again.
Would 5:2 would be better in that case to keep the metabolism guessing?

Get well soon @Jamrox

Reactions: 6 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Massive calorie deficits are a bad idea. As mentioned, it can have severe effects on your energy levels and a large portion of the weight loss can come from loss of muscle.

I would never consider eating that little as it would be pointless.

Reactions: 8 people

Amandlaz

Why pointless? If done properly, 3 meals and three snacks a day should be ok providing you're getting all the nutrients ?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because any weight loss is short term. You can't live on 800 calories forever. Then you have to carefully increase calories without putting on weight again, with a slower metabolism to boot. These 800 calorie diets have been around for at least 35 years but they are only in fashion now because Professor Taylor looked into the idea of using them rather than bariatric surgery ( which is a great idea). If you aren't obese enough to consider bariatric surgery then I would say don't do it.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Thanks everyone, I think I'm just frustrated that I can't move as much as I'm used too. I'm 5'7 and about 11 st 6 which isn't huge .
I think I'll try it and see what happens, might just make me think about what I'm eating rather than eating rhubarb pie and custard which seems to be my favourite thing since I hurt my knee , it's just too nice lol.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Avacado Sevenfold I will try that when I get up .

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamrox, I don't know much about it but I would echo what othrrs say about slowing down your metabolism if you restrict what you're eating to 800 calories a day. I've been in that trap before and would not recommend it.

You aren't obese, I'm guessing your BMI is about 26 or 27 (mine is very similar) so altgough it's a good idea to lose some weight, you don't have much to lose. I would try the 5:2 if you can be disciplined about the 2!

Good luck.

S

Sean01

Hi. I read about this in articles written by Dr Michael Moseley and after reading most things that he has written and having seen him on tv, I would be inclined to trust him - he has no hidden agenda and no axe to grind. However, there is one proviso: 800 calories is low, very low. I'm a biology graduate _ I remember learning that your brain can use up that much calories in a normal 24 hours. I definitely know I can burn that up in an hour ox strenuous exercise. The actual diet is spot on - it's pretty much a Type 2 diet, but the calorie level is way too low. I think other replies have already referred to that.
We all need a shake up from time to time - but a shake up is a minor disturbance to help give you a fresh start. It is not a reason to totally derail. And if you can't exercise because of the sore knee, there are other exercises that use other parts of the body, maybe not as efficiently.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why pointless? If done properly, 3 meals and three snacks a day should be ok providing you're getting all the nutrients ?
When you have a massive caloric deficit our bodies can respond as if it's life-threatening (and on a primitive level it is). In severe cases, the result can be that your body slows it's metabolism to preserve stored energy and can even begin to break down muscle to reduce energy requirements. In the worst case, your body preserves energy (body fat) and breaks down lean mass (muscle).

Now, that doesn't ALWAYS happen, but most prefer not to take any chances. That's why people generally target a -500 calorie deficit per day (if you burn 2000; you eat 1500) to make it less of a shock to our bodies. The weight loss may be slower, but the fat loss often can be the same.

I have done MASSIVE caloric deficit diets (I would burn about 4000 cals a day but only eat about 1500) and lost a ton of weight, but I was very irritable and would constantly sleep due to lack of energy. The weight loss also eventually slowed down even at 1500 calories as my metabolism slowed with it.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi. I read about this in articles written by Dr Michael Moseley and after reading most things that he has written and having seen him on tv, I would be inclined to trust him - he has no hidden agenda and no axe to grind. However, there is one proviso: 800 calories is low, very low. I'm a biology graduate _ I remember learning that your brain can use up that much calories in a normal 24 hours. I definitely know I can burn that up in an hour ox strenuous exercise. The actual diet is spot on - it's pretty much a Type 2 diet, but the calorie level is way too low. I think other replies have already referred to that.
We all need a shake up from time to time - but a shake up is a minor disturbance to help give you a fresh start. It is not a reason to totally derail. And if you can't exercise because of the sore knee, there are other exercises that use other parts of the body, maybe not as efficiently.

It's Michael Mosely s book I've read .
Have to say that I agree the 5:2 thing looks more doable.

I think I need a re kick start so I'm going to do the 800 for a couple of days and assess how I feel.
I've been lower carb for quite a while and agree that the diet is spot on .

I'm managing to move a bit better thank god . I am making a point of walking about my house for 10 minutes every hour ( Pipp you will be proud of me for that lol).

Reactions: 6 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I have a Diabetes tape measure and waist circumference is in the red range . My diabetes is controlled but I need to loose about 6 inches . I figure that if I try different things I will hopefully get thinner around my waist .

I promise that I will monitor how I feel and stop it if I feel ill . I'm sure that my family will tell me to stop if I'm crabbit. Also I need to concentrate a lot at work so if I find I can't then I will have to stop.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's Michael Mosely s book I've read .
Have to say that I agree the 5:2 thing looks more doable.

I think I need a re kick start so I'm going to do the 800 for a couple of days and assess how I feel.
I've been lower carb for quite a while and agree that the diet is spot on .

I'm managing to move a bit better thank god . I am making a point of walking about my house for 10 minutes every hour ( Pipp you will be proud of me for that lol).
Yes of course, @Jamrox, very proud.
Also, I have faith in your ability to make the right choice. You have achieved excellent results, and inspired others to exercise and been a good ambassador for low carb lifestyle, both here and in the media. I think you know that this is a temporary glitch in your management. Also that you are wise enough to recognise that and take action to prevent it becoming a long term temporary glitch! All power to you, whichever way you decide to get back track.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no doubt this diet wont be for everyone, it requires mental discipline and 8 weeks is a commitment. but I'm yet to read comments from anyone who has stuck at it and not lost huge amounts of weight and been glad they did the diet.
Stuck to it- yes
Lost huge amounts of weight- yes
Glad I did it-no (there are safer and more efficient ways to lose weight)

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1454853741.137029.jpg

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Wow I honestly didn't expect all these different views , or maybe I did . It's all really interesting and if you don't mind I will record my progress warts and all on this thread .
I've been daft today and so far haven't eaten anything ( I have had a few cups of tea ) more to do with partying last night , getting up late and having a bit of a hangover .
I've been to Aldi and bought different Mediterranean veg and chicken breast . Just going to have a feta and pomegranate salad and having roast pork and lots of broccoli etc ( no pots) for dinner about 7.

The one thing I am going to do to go off piste so to speak is to have a couple of squares of 75-85 % dark chocolate at night , it has been my saviour over the passed few years and I think it's a crutch.