muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi All

I am a type 2 diagnosed in Feb 2013 .My last HbA1c in October 2015 was 95H.

I came across the Newcastle diet via the Daily Mail articles with claims such as "Type 2 cured","Type 2 reversed" etc.
But following thru to the Newcastle Diet there were credible and significant results and an ongoing trials. Good enough for me as I was desperate to impact my weight and improve my Diabetes.

When I commenced the diet on 27 December I was on 1000mg of Metformin with evening meals I weighed 105.5kg/232.6lb with a BMI of 31.54 and my average BG was 7.62 with a range of 10.3 - 5.4

As of the 31st January I have lost 10.5 kg/23.2lbs my BMI was 28.4 my average BG was 5.1 with a range of 4.3 - 6.2. I stopped taking the Metformin after 2 weeks

I have used Optifast shakes and Vegetables pretty much as indicated in the diet. There have been some very hard moments (mainly staring lovingly at my favourite white carbs) but the weight loss and BG readings are very encouraging as I move along.

I have another 4 weeks to go and will post my weekly results each Sunday.

I should add what a great resource Diabetes UK is especially the forums and thank many of you on here from whom I have taken many ideas and will do as I move thru my journey with Diabetes

Reactions: 6 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Muzza well done! I started the day after you. Many people said why don't you wait until the new year? but I think if you want something - really want it - you want it now not in a week. I've lost about the same amount of weight as you. I'm using slimfast shakes and the odd plate of vege.
Thanks EdMac
I'm glad it is going well for you as we both know the commitment it takes and the moments we have along the way. Borzio (Hello UK! Newcastle Diet from Texas progress thread) suggested that the more of us that post our experiences the more value it provides to other using these forums which I thought was great advice

Reactions: 2 people

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the good fight! Amazing weight loss so far. :) Keep at it friend. I started at around 250lbs a few years back. I'm sure your updates will encourage others as well.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Welcome to the good fight! Amazing weight loss so far. :) Keep at it friend. I started at around 250lbs a few years back. I'm sure your updates will encourage others as well.
Thanks Borzoi
Hope you are enjoying the salads

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi All

FBG this morning 4.9. Its evening here and today was a tough one thinking about the wrong foods again. Filled the car up and as I paid was reminded that previously I would usually grab a pack of Crisps. I try to focus on the good BG readings and my next weight tick off eg: the next Kilo or the next drop in BMI it seems to help.

Steam veges tonight with an onion sauce.

Big day tomorrow as I have to take some clients to lunch. Picked a Thai restaurant with some great green vegetarian dishes so shouldn't be to bad. I mean the shakes are actually starting to taste alright( breakfast Lunch and Dinner)

Reactions: 7 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi All

FBG was 4.7 this morning. Had lunch with clients today,chicken and green salad no rice but two glasses of white wine (wasn't particularly happy with myself) Couldn't test till three hours later but a 5.0 was pretty good. Its Friday night here and it is our family Fish and Chip night. I watched on but was quite content with my Shake followed later by Tomato Soup.

The results to date are extremely encouraging but already my thoughts are going to coming off the diet and what my future diet is going to look like. However for the next few weeks I need to complete this

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I haven't really missed 'Chippy Friday' which had become a regular event since we moved house and have an abundance of great chippies in the area. I'm missing volume. I've always enjoyed eating like a horse so 800 calories is meagre. But surprisingly there is no one thing I miss - a bag of sweets at the cinema, packet of crisps and choccy biscuit after lunch, flapjack with a coffee whilst out shopping, chinese banquets with the family (have chinese inlaws and they like to feed people up), a pie and a few beers - I'm not that bothered at missing any of those things.

But I do miss not being able to properly fill myself. I actually thought I'd switch to the 5:2 diet but then realised I've got just over 2 weeks to go and I'm on for about a 2st 7lb weight loss so dumb not to see it out.

Plan is to finish the 8 weeks then start the 5:2 and some high intentisty training to continue the weight loss.

You will be 1 day ahead of me Muzza, what are you planning when you finish the 8 weeks?
Hi Edmac
I am with you it may have been fish and chips tonight but probably cheese and crackers tomorrow. I share the emptiness but I know how happy you would be 2stone 7lb is a great result and with two weeks to go!! Its a great point what next. I will have to have a look at 5:2 as like yourself I will want to loose some more weight after the 8 weeks. We should definately compare notes as we go forward

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Muzza

5:2 should be a walk in the park after what we are currently doing which is effectively 0:7. If I knew that it was a 24 hour fast and then the next day I would be eating normally I'd handle the 24 hours easily. The last week is the closest it's got to hard - but I still wouldn't call it hard as the weight is still falling off so the motivation is there. So if anyone is reading and wondering 'should I give it a go', I'd say definitely (if there are no health reasons not to). And yes I'm up for continuing to compare notes, I start doing fasting blood sugar testing again next week.
Hi Edmac

I totally agree that this has been sensational for me and would recommend it on the same basis. I currently test fasting each morning. The results have been very encouraging and as such a motivation to keep at it (as well as the weight loss). Strips are subsidized here in Aussie for Type 2 which I gather is not the case in the UK.(There is talk of the subsidy being removed for Type 2's this year)
Good luck with the testing my weekly weighin is tomorrow

Cheers

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi All
FBG was 4.7 this morning. Saturday here in Aussie and feeling the pinch a bit with not a lot on so need to keep busy so went with my son to search for a new car for him. Got thru the rest of the day by watching the Aussies scrape home against the Kiwis in a One Day Cricket Match (don't bring up the ashes please)

When I first began the eight week diet I'll have to admit in the back of my mind I was thinking lose the weight, normalise the BG and then I can get back to an eating free for all. However it has really brought my focus to the impact of Carbs in my diet and life and that our relationship (My Carbs and I) can never be the same again

Weekly weigh in tomorrow and update on BG readings over the week.

Cheers

Reactions: 4 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Muzza

can you do me a favour and tell me what the sugar content of the optifast shakes is? I can see from the website it's 20g carbs but it doesn't say what sugar. Optifast is prescription in UK so I went with AN Other meal replacement which happened to be slim fast. Then I was looking at alternatives yesterday and one of them has 46% sugar - in raw powder form. So I checked Slim Fast and that's about 6.7% made up with milk (I use unsweetened soy drink). But if you add up 6.7% over 250ml x 3 times a day it works out at a lot against the recommended amount. But all the meal replacement drinks seem high in sugar. So just wondering what the prescribed version is like.

cheers.
Hi EdMac
Yes freely available from the chemists in Australia. I just use the Chocolate version (Tried all but only liked the Chocolate)
Nutritional Information
Servings per package 12
Serving size 54g
Unit of measure Quantity per serve
Energy kJ 870
Cal 207
Protein g 17.5
Fat, total g 4.5
- Saturated fat g 1.1
Carbohydrates g 22.5
- Sugar g 17.8
Dietary fibre g 3.6
Vitamins
Vit A µgRE 486
Thiamin mg 0.70
Riboflavin mg 0.92
Niacin mgNE 7
Pantothenic acid mg 4.0
Vit B6 mg 0.9
Biotin µg 16
Folic Acid µg 124
Vit B12 µg 1.2
Vit C mg 46
Vit D µg 2.4
Vit E mgTE 8.1
Vit K µg 32
Minerals
Sodium mg 220
Calcium mg 350
Chromium µg 54
Copper mg 0.5
Iodine µg 81
Iron mg 5.4
Magnesium mg 130
Manganese mg 0.5
Molybdenum µg 33
Phosphorus mg 340
Selenium µg 32
Zinc mg 5.9
Potassium mg 780
Chloride mg 351

Hope that helps

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi All

Just Completed week six of the 8 week Newcastle Diet

This weeks results
Weight Loss 4.2lbs
FBG Today 4.9
Weekly BG range 4.1 - 5.8 (all tests not just fasting)
This weeks average 4.9 (all tests not just fasting)
BMI 27.8

Overall Weight loss 27.4 lbs or 12.4kg
BMI 31.5 - 27.8

Seriously this is beyond my expectations. I am feeling really well other than a little less energetic at times and a left knee that is creaking a bit from the walking and exercise. At times my mind drifts to thoughts of a big breakfast or a large dinner but the results help keep that focus.

Don't get me wrong those on here who have completed this diet or are doing it at the moment know that it is hard and you need to keep focused but I am finding that it is life-changing

As previously discussed I am now seriously considering the next stage and what approach I will take. As I still estimate another 9kg to lose to reach my long term goal I am personally thinking of transitioning for 2-3 weeks to 1200 calories then to 1600-1800 calories a day as a long term dietary guideline until that goal is reached I am keen to structure that diet myself but need to settle on a daily carbohydrate figure. Still 2 weeks to go but I will be searching the forums for the information I need to make those decisions. Diabetes UK, in particular the forums therein, is such a great resource I know I will benefit from the experience of others who have already lived theses experiences and have already met others who are going the the same process with me

Cheers

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

Just Completed week six of the 8 week Newcastle Diet

This weeks results
Weight Loss 4.2lbs
FBG Today 4.9
Weekly BG range 4.1 - 5.8 (all tests not just fasting)
This weeks average 4.9 (all tests not just fasting)
BMI 27.8

Overall Weight loss 27.4 lbs or 12.4kg
BMI 31.5 - 27.8

Seriously this is beyond my expectations. I am feeling really well other than a little less energetic at times and a left knee that is creaking a bit from the walking and exercise. At times my mind drifts to thoughts of a big breakfast or a large dinner but the results help keep that focus.

Don't get me wrong those on here who have completed this diet or are doing it at the moment know that it is hard and you need to keep focused but I am finding that it is life-changing
Cheers

Amazing results Muzza! Finish line is in reach to the next stage. : ) Stay focused. Did you check out keto dieting as a possible next stage? Keep hammering away at it. Cheers.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Muzza

thanks for the optifast info - and well done on the latest weigh in! Re transition, the 5:2 diet works out at a calorie defecit of c3200 cal a week. A lb of fat has about 3000 cals. So with a sensible diet and a bit of activity it should be possible to sustain a 1lb weight loss every week on that diet (whilst the weight is there to lose). Although on very low carb diets more seems possible.

Maybe some experimentation to suss out what works best for you long term. The key thing is whatever you do next it wont be anywhere near as hard as what you've already done.
Thanks Edmac I'll definitely have a look

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi All

Had a FBG of 4.2 this morning and am very happy with that. I had a horrible day yesterday. It started really well with my weekly weigh in and summary of BG's which were excellent but after I noticed in the forums different BMI's and weights and thought something was incorrect with my measurements. I went back to the spread sheet I use to keep my records and realised in a dyslexic moment I had entered my height as 176 cm instead of 167. Instantly I went from overweight to obese. On top of that I had no energy my creaking knee was sore. The better half suggested I have a day of rest and I did. Stuck to the diet but no exercise and read a book all day.

Today I feel great, no pain in the knee and I am like a dog with a bone in going after a sub 30 BMI.

Cheers

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Muzza - at what point did your FBG start to drop? and what did it start at?
Hi EdMac

Just looking back on my starting day I had a BFG of 8.7. During that first week the range was 10.7 - 5.4

The averages of all readings each week were
Week 1- 7.62
Week 2- 5.73
Weekv3- 5.83
Week 4- 5.6
Week 5- 5.4
Week 6- 5.1
Week 7- 4.9

I stopped taking Metformin 1000 per night at the end of week two as a trial. As the levels stayed low I have stayed off it. I'm sure my doctor will kill me but I will wear that. Please note that I have discounted week one as I had a blowout on New Years Eve so I consider myself starting on week 7

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi All

FBG of 5.3 this morning. My highest for a number of weeks now. I am suffering from some constipation which I have had for a couple of days and have taken some Metamucil capsules to get things moving at the station. It has probably affected BG a bit and my exercise regime as well.

My short-term goals are to crack the 200lb mark and the 90kg mark over the next fortnight with a slightly longer goal of breaking 30 BMI to move from Obese to Overweight. My shortest term goal is to get the train moving thru the station

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

FBG of 5.3 this morning. My highest for a number of weeks now. I am suffering from some constipation which I have had for a couple of days and have taken some Metamucil capsules to get things moving at the station. It has probably affected BG a bit and my exercise regime as well.

My short-term goals are to crack the 200lb mark and the 90kg mark over the next fortnight with a slightly longer goal of breaking 30 BMI to move from Obese to Overweight. My shortest term goal is to get the train moving thru the station

I feel you man. I just went through the same problem for an entire week along with sickness. The constipation was a huge problem for the last week and I saw my sugar go higher than I've seen in a while as a result (Got a 5.2 a few days back). Glad you got through it. Lots of straight coffee. I wonder how this could be happening considering the incredibly high amount of fiber..Maybe too much of anything is a bad thing? Wonder if it's a trend late in the game. Anyways keep at it, that BMI should be steadily going down soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Muzza - at what point did your FBG start to drop? and what did it start at?

Hi EdMac
Sorry I thought I had posted my weekly averages but they must have dropped off.
I will repost when I get to my home computer. I think I was a 7+ at the start and they dropped quite quickly in the first three weeks to the point where I pulled my Meds for an experiment and I have not gone back to them yet

Cheers

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I feel you man. I just went through the same problem for an entire week along with sickness. The constipation was a huge problem for the last week and I saw my sugar go higher than I've seen in a while as a result (Got a 5.2 a few days back). Glad you got through it. Lots of straight coffee. I wonder how this could be happening considering the incredibly high amount of fiber..Maybe too much of anything is a bad thing? Wonder if it's a trend late in the game. Anyways keep at it, that BMI should be steadily going down soon.
Yes I tend to agree re trend late in the game had no problems thru the first 6 weeks. Anyway getting thru it and moving onwards and downwards

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sorry to interrupt. :) I'm following this thread with interest and congratulations on your progress so far.

About constipation - I got that a lot when I started low carbing. There's some stuff called psyllium husk which other people have mentioned on this forum. I got mine through eBay. Its very cheap and you don't need much - 1 tsp a day in lots of water. It's 100% natural and it works.