Downunder on the Newcastle Diet- Results and Progress

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Sorry to interrupt. :) I'm following this thread with interest and congratulations on your progress so far.

About constipation - I got that a lot when I started low carbing. There's some stuff called psyllium husk which other people have mentioned on this forum. I got mine through eBay. Its very cheap and you don't need much - 1 tsp a day in lots of water. It's 100% natural and it works.
Thanks Chook
I started taking Metamucill capsules today which I have just looked at and contain 100% psyillium husk. It seems to be having an impact. I appreciate your thoughts and always like to get feedback. Hopefully can get thru the next two weeks and I am still deciding where to take my diet then
Cheers

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for posting your numbers - your blood sugar has being dropping consistently which is great. Maybe mine has too I just decided not to test until week 6 - which in hindsight was probably a bit dumb.

What I have noticed is that my eyes are better. Prior to starting the diet I thought I was going to need glasses as my eyes kept hurting. Now I can read labels easily again. Maybe I'm imagining some improvement. But I did read that the pressure in your eyes can change - which impacts on functioning - when blood sugars are out of whack. Also the getting up in the night to pee ceased almost immediately.

I was constipated straight away and took 11 days before going to the toilet. And it wasn't a straight forward matter. But I'd experienced that before following surgery and the use of strong painkillers that cause dehydration. So I knew patience was key. And a bit of steamed cabbage ;)
Hi EdMac

I don't think you are imagining it. I certainly feel better (other than the constipation). I think the eyes for me are a good indicator that my blood is flowing and probably the first one I notice. I tested but didn't record so I was able to go thru the meter to check back. I think the fact that I started so overweight and was able to pick up on exercise (walking mainly) so quickly also made a difference plus my diet was HUGE in Carbs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Just found this thread and seen @EdMac 's comments about wanting to feel full, and other people's comments about constipation.

@Chook 's psyllium husks are the best option I have ever found, and they can kill both birds with one stone if you buy then as a loose powder.

They have no calories (I think), and no flavour since they are indigestible fibre. You just tip a teasp or so into a cup of liquid, wait till they gloop up, and drink. Then drink another glass of water.

They make the liquid go thick, to a milkshake texture, and can be added to diet shakes, hot drinks, soups and stews. And they definitely give that filled-up feeling.

But start with only one teasp a day, and work up - if you need to. Otherwise the bathroom results can be a little full on.

- oh, and there is one brand, Lepicol, that has probiotics added, which is another bonus, when on a reduced calorie diet.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi All

No FBG today as my Meter had a flat battery but a 5.0 at this evening which is not too shabby. You will be happy to know that the Dam has burst and the constipation eased. It had interrupted my exercise and concentration over the last few days which may explain a plateau in weight loss for a couple of days and I will be interested to see the impact over the rest of the week

It is interesting that the shakes I use Optifast have their own recommended diet which is a duplicate of the Newcastle Diet (without food) even down to the steamed vegetables each night. They recommend the diet for twelve weeks and then have a 3 staged transition away from the diet and towards maintenance. I am looking at my options moving forward and have been getting some great feedback from members which I really welcome

I am sure that the simplicity of the Shakes and Vegetables is easier for me as I am no cook and can do this without upsetting the rest of the household (particularly she who must be obeyed)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you are comfortable with it then possibly your best bet would be to come off the diet very slowly? First replace one shake with food and when you are comfortable with that then replace another. Or even carry on with the shakes and have a bigger evening meal? Just a thought.

I can fully recommend a low carb way of life but I don't enjoy it with lots of fat so I do a medium fat version and on my days off work I also have fasting days when I skip breakfast and lunch and have a 500 to 600 calorie dinner. I know fasting isn't for everyone though.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you are comfortable with it then possibly your best bet would be to come off the diet very slowly? First replace one shake with food and when you are comfortable with that then replace another. Or even carry on with the shakes and have a bigger evening meal? Just a thought.

I can fully recommend a low carb way of life but I don't enjoy it with lots of fat so I do a medium fat version and on my days off work I also have fasting days when I skip breakfast and lunch and have a 500 to 600 calorie dinner. I know fasting isn't for everyone though.

I think it is a really great thought and one I can cope with quite easily. It makes a lot of sense to transition that way and monitor weight and BG to refine. The fasting could follow later when the shakes disappear. Thanks

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BFG 4.9 this morning.

Coming to the end of week 7. and cracked thru a plateau with weightloss this morning (I actually record the weekly result each Sunday) but was very happy.

Pretty much decided (following good advice from many on here) that following the diet I am going to remain on shakes Breakfast and Lunch but add on evening meals at 600cals (low Carb) for two weeks and monitor BG and Weight(Total 1000cal). Ill then respond to those results. If all is well will look at adding Breakfast in the following fortnight(1400 cals) and Lunch a fortnight after that taking me to 1800cals per day in six weeks, The idea will be to hold at 1800 cals. If weight loss stops or increases occur then I will introduce two fasting days per week (600cals) and see how that impacts.

Oh! had two glasses of red wine this evening (no cheese biscuits chips or nuts) with visitors from Victoria and my wife at Old Parliament House in the old senators courtyard. Beautiful weather 29C seated on the lawns with great conversations. I'll see how the wine impacts

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BFG 5.4 this morning (must have been the red-wine) last night

Week 7 Weigh in tomorrow

Pretty boring day today not a lot of energy and being the weekend I have a lot more time to contemplate. I think one area I have not done much with on the diet is Meditation or Mindfulness. I have dabbled a few times but not very successfully but have read and heard that it is great for stress etc and can help with BG levels by reducing stress. I think I will have a go at this this week

I am so bored with the Diet but 8 days to go and I will start to modify it as discussed in my last post

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Happy Sunday All

Just Completed week seven of the 8 week Newcastle Diet

This weeks results
Weight Loss 4.6lbs
FBG Today 5.1
Weekly BG range 4.2 - 6.9 (all tests not just fasting)
This weeks average 5.2 (all tests not just fasting)
BMI 31.4

Overall Weight loss 32 lbs or 14.5kg
BMI 36.4 - 31.4

I am really happy to drop the 4.6 lb this week as it has been the hardest week on the diet for me. Constipation early in the week and a couple of days with no weight-loss saw me getting frustrated and BG a little up for the week. so some changes for this week
  • Adding Pysllium Fibre to my daily supplement to keep regular
  • Changing up my 30 minute walks to intervals of 3 minutes alternatively strolling/fast walk (Actually started this mid week following a post by @Bebo321)
  • Joined Head space and doing their daily mindfulness/meditation sessions (10 minutes a day and free)
Looking forward this week to
  • cracking 200lbs (Not being a 200lb Gorilla any longer)
  • cracking 90kgs (being in the 80's is big to me)
  • cracking 14 stone (13 stone something sound so much better)
  • A BFG of 3.9 (wouldn't that be lovely)
These sort of milestones along the way have really helped me keep on track.

Thanks again for all the advice and support.

Reactions: 4 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
You have all done very well.

Long term will be your real test.

I am still doing no major carbs years on and I think learning to cook with nut flours is the key to my success.

It "aint" that hard to learn and you do not have to go hungry ever again.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You have all done very well.

Long term will be your real test.

I am still doing no major carbs years on and I think learning to cook with nut flours is the key to my success.

It "aint" that hard to learn and you do not have to go hungry ever again.
Thanks Forge
You are right the next 6 months are crucial otherwise it just becomes a YO YO diet

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A lovely monday evening
BFG Today 5.2

Also got fitted properly for both a pair of Runners and a pair of work shoes. I was impressed they asked about diabetes and took a lot of time measuring my feet, watching me walk and fitting the shoes. I tried eight pairs. It cost me a bundle but they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had.

Hoping for a solid last week of the diet and excited about entering the next stage of my journey

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tuesday Night and alls well

BFG Today 4.6

Achieved quite a bit today and have noticed that I am starting to get around to things that I had been putting off. Could be due to the BG drops and weightloss at least I hope so.

I know it is wrong but I have a deal with myself that if I crack 90kg I get to have a Sausage and Egg Sandwich and I am nearly there

Maybe Thursday

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to enjoy that sausage and egg sandwich very soon.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wednesday Evening and only 4 days left on the ND
BFG Today 4.7

Cracked the 200lb mark this morning which was really satisfying but not enough to win the Sausage and Egg sandwich (breaking 90kg .5kg to go) maybe Friday

She who must be obeyed is heading off to Cairns tomorrow to help our daughter select a wedding dress and finalise other wedding stuff. That means I'm free and easy so I can see myself having a free run of the kitchen and scoffing a few Optifast shakes when no-one is looking

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday Evening and only 4 days left on the ND
BFG Today 4.7

Cracked the 200lb mark this morning which was really satisfying but not enough to win the Sausage and Egg sandwich (breaking 90kg .5kg to go) maybe Friday

She who must be obeyed is heading off to Cairns tomorrow to help our daughter select a wedding dress and finalise other wedding stuff. That means I'm free and easy so I can see myself having a free run of the kitchen and scoffing a few Optifast shakes when no-one is looking

Congrats Muzza! Hope you enjoyed that sandwich friend. :) Just a few more days of Optifast.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Congrats Muzza! Hope you enjoyed that sandwich friend. :) Just a few more days of Optifast.
Thanks Borzoi

Haven't got that sandwich yet .2kg to go. Its been a fantastic experience and will post final results on Sunday and do tHbA1c tests next week. I'm sure you can appreciate the follow on from ND has become critical and will probably need as much if not more attention than the ND

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to you both guys, great achievements. Really impressive results. Good luck with transitioning to a less restrictive diet and let us know how it goes.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done Muzza - you must be on for the egg and sausage butty by now... will he leave the yolk runny or break it in the pan... will it be a touch of ketchup or brown sauce or even some exotic Aussy alternative... decisions decisions...

On the HbA1c test, I've been thinking about when to do that. It gives a reflection of the last 3 months so wont fully reflect your current position ie. it may paint a worse than real picture. But having said that your readings dropped pretty quickly. It's definitely relevant to me though as I only got a fasting reading under 6 for the first time today. Worth bearing in mind anyway.
Hi EdMac
Congratulations on the -6
I have been having one of those plateaus this week so I may crack it for the Sausage Butty (Runny) tomorrow morning. Pretty much same options as you guys tomato sauce, HP or BBQ Sauce.
I agree I have been tossing up on delaying the test for four weeks and I think I might be good advice. I have had a great run with the readings but that also happened when I was first diagnosed and I took it very seriously
Thanks for your support. And the next couple of months are going to be just as important as the last.