Diabetic eye test

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've got my first eye test checking for signs of retinopathy tomorrow and to be honest I'm a little fearful.

1. It says on the letter that they have to put eye drops in your eyes? It also says it may sting and mess with your eyesight. Is this true? Someone told me not everyone has to do the eye drops but I don't know if it's true or not

2. What if they do find retinopathy? I've only just been diagnosed (July 2015). Is it even possible to get complications this early on?

Please help me alleviate my fears

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi TakeItAway88, I was diagnosed Type2 in January this year. I went for my eye test about 2 weeks ago, I too was worried sick about going. Yes they do put eye drops in, no worries its like when you have peeled onions and your eyes sting only lasts about 30 sec. My vision was blurry for a couple of hours then back to normal. I was so worried too waiting for the results. They said I would get my results in about 6 weeks, got the results back 1 week later. Np problems eyes normal no sign of retinopothy. Don't worry You will be fine.:)

Reactions: 4 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Don't worry.. yes they put some drops in your eyes then you have to wait for 15 minutes. After that they take a photo of the back of your eyeball to see if everything is ok. It's quick and painless although you might get a slight blurring of your vision for a little while afterwards. I'm sure you'll be fine. They said I had some very minor damage on one eye but that it wouldn't be a problem. If it's your first one I think its more to get an idea of the status quo so if there's any changes they can be seen. Don't worry its better to be informed (at least that's my personal opinion).
Hope all goes well
Mark

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TakeItAway88

It's worth taking some sunglasses with you in case it's a sunny day. The drops dilate your pupils so that the technician can get a good image of your retina, and this means that they won't be able to adjust down to cope with bright light until the drops wear off - which can make sunshine a little uncomfortable.

Robbity

Dark Horse

@TakeItAway88

It's worth taking some sunglasses with you in case it's a sunny day. The drops dilate your pupils so that the technician can get a good image of your retina, and this means that they won't be able to adjust down to cope with bright light until the drops wear off - which can make sunshine a little uncomfortable.

Robbity
Taking sunglasses is a good tip. Also, remember that you won't be able to drive until the drops wear off. As already mentioned, dilation is needed to get a really good view of the retina.

Big_Ron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am glad that i have just read these comments, make me feel a lot better now because I have got my first one tomorrow morning

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,

I've got my first eye test checking for signs of retinopathy tomorrow and to be honest I'm a little fearful.

1. It says on the letter that they have to put eye drops in your eyes? It also says it may sting and mess with your eyesight. Is this true? Someone told me not everyone has to do the eye drops but I don't know if it's true or not

2. What if they do find retinopathy? I've only just been diagnosed (July 2015). Is it even possible to get complications this early on?

Please help me alleviate my fears

Hi, please don't worry, the drops can sting for a few seconds, you don't have to take another person with you, unless they are driving you there. Sunglasses are a must, as the pupils are quite large after and let all the daylight/sunlight in. I hope it goes quickly for you and any questions you have, make sure you write then down before hand so you don't forget.
Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I am glad that i have just read these comments, make me feel a lot better now because I have got my first one tomorrow morning
You will be fine believe me I was nervous took my granddaughter with me made me feel better. came out after it was over thinking what was all that about. Nothing like I imagined no problem if had to go again it wouldn't bother me. :):):)

Reactions: 7 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I will have my second yearly check up next month and to be honest I'm glad as I want to be reassured that everything's ok, which I'm sure it will be.
All the above comments are true and it's really no more than an inconvenience. Don't be frightened. :)

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To answer the second part of your question; if you've not been long diagnosed, then it's unlikely that you have this yet, but it's important that you're checked.

Retinopathy is a long term result of high blood sugar but even if there is very mild background retinopathy, you'll receive an overly alarming letter that makes it sound like you could go blind any minute.

This isn't cause to panic - I've had pretty much the same letter every year for some time and it's never gotten further than the 'we'll look at it again in a year' stage.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I will be honest, I walked into mine as a newly diagnosed thinking no problem, good vision it won't be me, but it turned out I had background retinopathy, which I put down to the damage done whilst being undiagnosed, so it is very difficult to tell what the outcome will be. However background retinopathy as I now know isn't something to be concerned about as long as you maintain good control it should clear up in time if it is detected.

I think it's easy to worry about things when you are newly diagnosed, try to take each day in your stride and be optimistic, worry only wears you down ;)

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Personally I've never had eye-drops but I would advise taking sunglasses, as stuff will appear bright after, but don't worry about it, it will be fine :)

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys for your advice. It wasn't as bad as I thought they didn't even have to use eye drops

Reactions: 9 people

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Thanks guys for your advice. It wasn't as bad as I thought they didn't even have to use eye drops
:D - I've never had eye drops personally, not sure why they would need them, glad it all went well!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
:D - I've never had eye drops personally, not sure why they would need them, glad it all went well!
The eye drops dilate your pupils. If you aren't getting that done then you are probably not receiving a proper retinopathy eye test.

Dark Horse

Eye drops are used to dilate the pupil to give a really clear view of the retina. In teenagers, it may be possible to get good images without dilation but as you get older dilation is needed otherwise the retina appears dark and sight-threatening changes may be missed ( a false negative).

cezli84

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
needles and Diabetes!
Hi. I got diagnosed in apr last year an i was scared of my first eye test. Yes they do need to dilate the pupils. It stings only for a short time. They let it settle for a short while then They get u to read cards using each eye separate then they take u to the other room to take pics of the backs of your eyes. Nothing but the fluid in the eye drops touches your eyes so please dont worry. They do suggest not driving for several hours after as it can affect u but after that time your eyes go back to normal. I believe the eye test is done so early on for the reason of comparison against the next ones u have to detect any changes. They advise to see a normal opticians too which i did and needed glasses purely for the fact one eye was stronger than the other an my right eye was over compensating for my left but that was nothing to do with T1. Hope it goes ok, sure u will be fine xx

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good advice about the letters you receive from the hospital regarding your results. I have maculopathy in one eye and and medium retinopathy in the other (T1 for 25 years) which doesn't have any effect on my sight, I'm borderline for laser surgery and have been for a couple of years. Every time I have an eye scan I get a letter which tells me I have "SIGHT-THREATENING CHANGES TO MY RETINA" and I must see a consultant IMMEDIATELY. Every single time.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

The eye drops dilate your pupils. If you aren't getting that done then you are probably not receiving a proper retinopathy eye test.
I have had two retinopathy screenings at the hospital so far. On both occasions I was not offered eye drops.

I have my next screening tomorrow. The leaflet included with the appointment letter states, "Around 1 in 4 people may need to be given eye drops so that a good photograph can be taken."

@Matthew-G-Bell

Dark Horse

I have had two retinopathy screenings at the hospital so far. On both occasions I was not offered eye drops.

I have my next screening tomorrow. The leaflet included with the appointment letter states, "Around 1 in 4 people may need to be given eye drops so that a good photograph can be taken."

@Matthew-G-Bell
Interesting. The UK National Screening Programme is based on every person being screened having their eyes dilated. May I ask what area you are in?