Metformin questions!

Evasmom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, this is my first post!!!! :)
Just wondering if anyone has experience of hair falling out on Metformin?? I used to take 500mg 3 times a day, but after christmas my blood tests were awful and Dr doubled that but even on the lower dosage my hair fell out and thinned.
Also I find that metformin makes me crave **** food and my stomach turns at the thought of most dinners. I don't have indigestion, or bloating or the runs or anything, just a feeling of Bleugh when it comes to my dinner!! But give me a take away or some chocolate and I'd be inhaling it... :meh:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Sorry @Evasmom

Doubled? Lower dosage? How much are you taking?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin does lower your appetite and for some (e.g. me) it can cause a strange metallic taste which lasted 6 months for me. You do get used to it and the correct taste returns. Never heard of hair falling out?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got a bit of appetite loss since taking Metformin for about 2 months but I haven't noticed my hair falling out though

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
What are your bloods? That's a fair whack of metformin so we need those readings

linda10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take 4 x 500gm metformin a day seem to be thinning my hair but not falling out however have been told this can be a side effect with metformin. Check the leaflet in your pack or talk to your pharmacist

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am now on 3x500 mg a day......been on that dosage four days now, a bit soon to tell, but as of yet no side effects.

Evasmom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What are your bloods? That's a fair whack of metformin so we need those readings
Hi mike
I was on 500x3 but my bloods after Xmas had gone awol. I'm not sure of the gp readings but she doubled my dose until they came down. I've to go back this month for repeat bloods.
I started measuring myself and the last couple of weeks my fasting bg has been around 8.5 most days. I really need to lose weight to get this under control.

The readings before and after meals are in range. It's the before bed and fasting ones that aren't

Reactions: 2 people

Jayne1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, this is my first post. I have struggled with hair loss since I started metformin a year ago. I am on 1000mg of SR Metformin a day and generally BS well controlled. Are there any good alternative medications? An help gratefully received.

joe-90

Metformin is a funny old drug. It seems to effect everyone differently. My experience of it (been about 11 weeks 2 x 500mg). On the first day I lost all interest in anything sweet, and the biscuits went in the bin - not had one since. No cake or pastry, just not interested. Then I went off red meat, and then chicken and finally fish. Just the thought of eating meat or fish makes my stomach turn over. I'd like to get get back eating a little meat again, but out of the question at the moment. I've still got my hair though.

Reactions: 4 people

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on metformin sr 1x500mg daily for about a month and a half, my gp was happy to put me straight on the sr with me having fibromyalgia, which makes me pretty sensitive to all medications: / however, I don't seem to have noticed much in the way of side effects apart from a bit if an upset tum each day, which to be honest, is part of the fibromyalgia symptoms anyway. It really has helped knock my appetite back :) and I feel like my fatty liver is getting better, albeit slow but sure.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Has anyone noticed dry mouth with Metformin?

I know we usually relate a dry mouth with high blood sugars, but usually I'll have a dry mouth and think 'my BG must be high', I will test and be totally fine.

I've noticed the dry mouth started about a month after I started the medication and is usually around bedtime.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I stopped taking that stuff ages ago, but a REALLY common theme was a metallic taste as well. Benefits (at least for me) non existent. Like statins. My body hates drugs. Suspect my mind controls that to a large degree as I am one stubborn cuss