Type 2 and normal HbA1c with just diet/exercise

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news. What do you eat now to keep your glucose under such good control?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
and veg/fruit/dairy???
Breakfast today:
breakfast 20 Feb 2016.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What condiments? Chilli , Mayo?, full fat yogurt?do you cook in lard? Great breakfast by the way

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
What condiments? Chilli , Mayo?, full fat yogurt?do you cook in lard? Great breakfast by the way
Just a little salt and pepper, tossed on the grill, and cooked to medium rare.

Reactions: 2 people
Normally I wouldn't brag about my results as they seem not that unusual for people following a LCHF diet on this forum, so I won't - just the facts.

Three months ago I stopped taking metformin and my HbA1c was 6% - not too bad. I also changed my diet from low carb to very low carb; ketogenic, in fact.

Today I got my latest HbA1c results: 5.6% / 37.7 mmol/mol. Very chuffed.

I got the results from my pharmacist ("chemist" in the UK, I believe); they have access to patients' lab results where I live. She was very happy with my results. She had a colleague there as well who had done our local version of the diabetic educator training. I told them I hadn't been taking metformin for 3 months and they were a bit surprised. The second person then spouted off something he'd learned in his training: only 1 to 2% of type 2 diabetics manage to get and keep control of their diabetes through diet and exercise alone. I was both shocked at this low number and yet not surprised as I knew what they recommend type 2 diabetics to eat. I suspect the percentage of type 2 diabetics on this forum who have had success with LCHF and no meds is much greater than 2%. Anyway, I tried to tell them that the official recommended diet is why that number was so low, but they looked at me like I was speaking Swahili. At least I tried. I have an appointment with my diabetes nurse this week. It should be interesting.

This forum has been very helpful in my quest to control my blood glucose levels - thanks to all of you!
Have followed a very low carb, high excercise regime for the last 12 months, great results too!!!

LannyHawk

11 Months ago diagnosed type 2 A1c 7.3. Refused to take meds unless necessary and nurse really ****** at me. Went low carb plus 1 oz apple cider vinegar at night. Last check had A1c of 5.9 and am due for my next check. Nurse still contends that I have to take meds. American medicine is all about the money!

Leafygreen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done excellent results, I have just been diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes my fasting results were (7.0 & 7.5) I am not on any medication until my next blood tests in 2 months time, if I manage to get my results back into the normal range with diet and exercise am I still diabetic as far as holiday insurance is concerned or is it a case of "once a diabetic always a diabetic" ?

Reactions: 5 people

StevoUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After years (since diagnosed in 2001) believing that diabetes type 2 was "an incurable progressive disease" and been handed increasing tablets to take I read about "The 8 week blood sugar diet" a book by Dr Micael Moseley.
I went on a Very low calorie diet as he recommends.
After 3 weeks I have lost 5 lbs. I cut out rice, bread, potato and pasta and increased fish. Its easy to do and maintain.
My HBA1c tested this week is 54 / 7.1 (a record low) and my cholesterol has dropped from 5.5 to 3.9.
These are remarkable as I have not taken any Metformin since I started the diet, just a reduced dose of gliclazide (one or two 30mg tabs per day instead of 3).
The nurse recommends I take the metformin and stop the gliclazide to avoid the possibility of hypos.
My diabetic nurse was so impressed she is buying the book - her husband is type 2 diabetic.

An app (apple and Android) and mentioned in the book is MyFitnessPal which allows you to set targets and enter food each day with automatic provision of calorie and fat/carbs/sodium etc from the app database.
It also links up with the apple iphone HEALTH app giving combined results. There is also a web site for entry of data and review of progress.

There should be a word wide emphasis on diet instead of drugs!

Reactions: 4 people
I

IrisWyllie

Congratulations on your achievement, that is what I'm aiming for.

Please can I ask whether your peripheral neuropathy has been cured and at what point? I went to my GP initially with tingling in my fingers and toes which progressed to loss of balance and feeling like I was walking on tennis balls. This has improved as my HbA1c has reduced - initially 55 in July 2015, reduced to 44 in Oct 2015 and 38 in Jan 2016, although it has recently flared up a bit in my feet following back surgery 4 weeks ago and tonsillitis for the last week. It could possibly be something to do with the infection and post op recovery.

I'm due to see a neurological consultant next week following previous nerve conduction tests and a lumbar puncture, so don't know what may come out of that. There were concerns that it may not be due to diabetes due to only having the condition short term, but it sounds like your situation is similar to mine?

Any further information would be appreciated.

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well done excellent results, I have just been diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes my fasting results were (7.0 & 7.5) I am not on any medication until my next blood tests in 2 months time, if I manage to get my results back into the normal range with diet and exercise am I still diabetic as far as holiday insurance is concerned or is it a case of "once a diabetic always a diabetic" ?
It's possible to be removed from the diabetic register, but it depends on your doctor.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Congratulations on your achievement, that is what I'm aiming for.

Please can I ask whether your peripheral neuropathy has been cured and at what point? I went to my GP initially with tingling in my fingers and toes which progressed to loss of balance and feeling like I was walking on tennis balls. This has improved as my HbA1c has reduced - initially 55 in July 2015, reduced to 44 in Oct 2015 and 38 in Jan 2016, although it has recently flared up a bit in my feet following back surgery 4 weeks ago and tonsillitis for the last week. It could possibly be something to do with the infection and post op recovery.

I'm due to see a neurological consultant next week following previous nerve conduction tests and a lumbar puncture, so don't know what may come out of that. There were concerns that it may not be due to diabetes due to only having the condition short term, but it sounds like your situation is similar to mine?

Any further information would be appreciated.
I still have peripheral neuropathy in my feet, but it has improved quite a bit and seems to be still slowly improving.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
It's taken me 2 months on diet alone, LCHF to get a Hba1c under 42

at the End of December It was at 52 at beginning of March it was down to 41.

I've just joined a gym to do some resistance training, due to a hormone issue I have been unable to gain muscle just fat, I was put on testosterone at the end of December and now can exercise properly, that until I have some surgery that is needed so I'm fitting in as much as I can as I won't be able to exercise for about a month after surgery.

JaneKennedy

Normally I wouldn't brag about my results as they seem not that unusual for people following a LCHF diet on this forum, so I won't - just the facts.

Three months ago I stopped taking metformin and my HbA1c was 6% - not too bad. I also changed my diet from low carb to very low carb; ketogenic, in fact.

I got the results from my pharmacist ("chemist" in the UK, I believe); they have access to patients' lab results where I live. She was very happy with my results. She had a colleague there as well who had done our local version of the diabetic educator training. I told them I hadn't been taking metformin for 3 months and they were a bit surprised. The second person then spouted off something he'd learned in his training: only 1 to 2% of type 2 diabetics manage to get and keep control of their diabetes through diet and exercise alone. I was both shocked at this low number and yet not surprised as I knew what they recommend type 2 diabetics to eat. I suspect the percentage of type 2 diabetics on this forum who have had success with LCHF and no meds is much greater than 2%. Anyway, I tried to tell them that the official recommended diet is why that number was so low, but they looked at me like I was speaking Swahili. At least I tried. I have an appointment with my diabetes nurse this week. It should be interesting.

This forum has been very helpful in my quest to control my blood glucose levels - thanks to all of you!

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy

I was diagnosed Type 2 late 2007. I had no symptoms other than mild Thrush in the groin. I am 6'3'' tall & had a BMI of 24.9. I was very active (lots of swimming & long distance, fast, walking). I ate healthily with a largely Mediterranean diet. I resolved to change my lifestyle (exercise & diet) & to lose weight - so that I would not have to take medication. I did this, joining a gym & going on a diet & cut down on crisps (a personal weakness) & sugary items ( I had never had a "sweet tooth"). I lost 3 & a half stone. From this time, my blood sugars always were well under control & averaged around 5.5 to 6.9. I later regained about 10 pounds in weight - but stabilized at that weight over the last 9 years. I went to the gym 4 days a week & exercised vigorously for an average of 1 & 1/2 hrs. per session.
18 months ago I started the Michael Mosely "No Carb Diet" with the aim of "reversing my diabetes" - if that were possible. I also maintained my gym exercise. Immediate results were that I lost those 10 pounds of weight & my Blood/Glucose levels reduced to 4.2 to 5.8. My weight stayed off (BMI 21.5), but the Blood/Glucose later increased a little ( to an average of about 6.0); where it has stayed.
I had a full Blood Test last week. Glucose level was 5.6. HbA1c was 37 (DCCT Aligned 5.5%), Triglyceride 1.25, HDL 1.5, LDL 3.0, HDL Ratio 3.4 & overall Cholesterol 5.1. All other items were well within limits.
I have not discussed these figures with my Doctor, yet. My question :- Have I reversed my Type 2, what do you think ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My question :- Have I reversed my Type 2, what do you think ?

I believe it can be classed as reversed if you can maintain non-diabetic levels without meds and be able to eat carbs again. Otherwise it may be classed as controlled (because it is still being controlled)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Nicely done. My opinion is that having normal blood glucose levels without meds means you've reversed your diabetes, so I think you've reversed your diabetes. However, it would likely come back if you slacked off your low carb diet. And it might come back even if you do maintain your low carb diet.