The blood glucose level high

bigjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on humalog 25 insulin BG high 4hours after the breakfast my breakfast carbs is about 50 i take 20units and evening about 60 carbs 25 units but still bg high about 4to5 hours after then come to target level 7 any advice please

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When do you take your insulin for the meal? Many people find that the fast acting insulins aren't that fast and need injecting more in advance of eating than you might think.

You could try moving your pre-meal injection forward gradually and see if that stops the high, or at least make it less.

If in any doubt, always talk to your team for advice.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on humalog 25 insulin BG high 4hours after the breakfast my breakfast carbs is about 50 i take 20units and evening about 60 carbs 25 units but still bg high about 4to5 hours after then come to target level 7 any advice please

Hi bigjoe,
I'm guessing that you are fairly newly diagnosed?
I assume you are also doing a once or twice daily injection of basal insulin - something like Lantus or Levemir?
My instinct is that this needs to be increased, but if you are new to this I strongly advise you to talk to your diabetes nurse before making any changes.
Getting your basal right is very important. Once you do this, everything else is much easier.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all are you saying you're on Humalog 75/25 or are you saying you're on Humalog (not mixed) and your blood sugar is 25? Those are two very different ways to interpret your first sentence.

Second of all, it sounds like your insulin:carb ratio is 2.4-2.5. Is that a number you've taken the time to calculate or is it just a guess?

Third, it would be important to know exactly when you take your insulin and how long before, during, or after a meal.

Your post suggests several immediate potential causes, but it would help to clarify the situation a bit more so we might be able to help you a bit better.

bigjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all are you saying you're on Humalog 75/25 or are you saying you're on Humalog (not mixed) and your blood sugar is 25? Those are two very different ways to interpret your first sentence.

Second of all, it sounds like your insulin:carb ratio is 2.4-2.5. Is that a number you've taken the time to calculate or is it just a guess?

Third, it would be important to know exactly when you take your insulin and how long before, during, or after a meal.

Your post suggests several immediate potential causes, but it would help to clarify the situation a bit more so we might be able to help you a bit better.
Humalog 75 25 take 15 minutes before the meal 40 carbs breakfast i take 16 or 17 units two hours after BG 17.5

bigjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When do you take your insulin for the meal? Many people find that the fast acting insulins aren't that fast and need injecting more in advance of eating than you might think.

You could try moving your pre-meal injection forward gradually and see if that stops the high, or at least make it less.

If in any doubt, always talk to your team for advice.
Thanks i try

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Humalog 75 25
You're on a pretty high meal ratio with you using the 75:25 Humulog. Is there any reason why you're on this insulin? It's not working having to use so much. Why not ask the DSN to try something like Apidra and Humulin I for your background insulin. I use Apidra and Humulin I and I'm very insulin resistant. I've also been taking 2 X 500mg metformin SR tablets at each meal time. This has kept my BSs 4 hours after the meal in the 4-7 mmols range, most of the time. However, I've been taking these since DAFNE in 2013, but I'm having trouble of metformin SR build up, like insulin stacking, and I hypo in the evenings/early mornings a lot of the time. I've stopped the SRs for over a week and the hypos have stopped but my BSs have risen quite a lot even though I've increased my insulins. My meal ratio has gone from 1 unit insulin to 5 grams carbs to 1 unit to 3 grams carbs which is a lot of insulin so I'm planning to ask DAFNE nurse next week to try the normal metformin and the best way to take them. I'm hoping that if I absorb them with the meal then I would get a tablet build up. I just hope my system will take these tablets. You may need metformin with your insulin but ask your DSN.