'Food- truth or Scare' BBC1

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been watching programme on BBC1 with Gloria Hunniford. Talking about the 'Diabetes epidemic'. She described how she was diagnosed as Prediabetic & had to change her diet drastically. She mentioned cutting out sugar- sweets & cake etc but sadly also mentioned fat. Then she did go & speak with a Doctor who talked about Carbs - how they turned into sugar & how one slice of white bread would probably equal the total carbs for one day - about 30g. So she should cut out starchy carbs.
She had followed this advice & had returned her blood sugars to normal.
Interesting - shame about fats still being seen as bad but otherwise quite good.
They're now talking about portion control.

Reactions: 6 people

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have also discussed Newcastle diet & how a very low calorie diet has been shown to 'reverse diabetes' but Gloria added how Low Carb had done the same for her.
At the end of the programme they did refer to a BBC website & I saw an 'eatwell plate' pictured sadly!! I haven't actually checked their info yet but I will go & have a look!!

Reactions: 2 people

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I only caught the last 5 minutes of it. It sounded really good wish I was home to see that. I will have to see if it goes on the iplayer

Mawalk48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Makes me laugh ive got chronic pancreatitis had it for over 30 years now got t2 and i am by no means overweight im underweight and fight to keep weight

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have also discussed Newcastle diet & how a very low calorie diet has been shown to 'reverse diabetes' but Gloria added how Low Carb had done the same for her.
At the end of the programme they did refer to a BBC website & I saw an 'eatwell plate' pictured sadly!! I haven't actually checked their info yet but I will go & have a look!!
I did the LC training course here on DCUK, and I got confused by the LC Plate, which at first glance looks just like Eatwell plate, and I was about to raise a query with the admin but had a closer look. They are different but the difference is subtle.

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry have edited title now - couldn't work out how to do it at first!!

iHs

I watched the programme this morning and thought it was one of the best programmes that Ive seen for a long time which more or less puts the writing on the wall about being overweight so that anyone with 2 brain cells who when looking down, cant see their feet, will hopefully take notice and not wait for diabetes and other more serious health problems to be diagnosed. As for fats, well eating loads of meat and other processed food containing fats, is often the cause of polyps growing in the colon and if not detected and removed, could go on to become malignant tumours, so fat in moderation is the key.

As for DUK, well they need to bring out the large Silent Assassin poster again but feature someone who is overweight and not necessarily obese and have these posters on billboards outside supermarkets, bus stops, train station escalators and shopping centres and with any luck, people will start to feel uncomfortable about being the size they are and do something to get rid of the spare tyre. GPs also need to issue better dietary guidance and refrain from prescribing oral drugs and warn people of the danger ahead if they dont do something to lose weight and change their diet but of course many GPs are also overweight so they need to do something first before advising others.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I watched it on iPlayer. I thought it was well presented and low carb was reiterated, which is good to see. It didn't sell a particular diet but did show the Newcastle diet. Very informative - would like to see it on a more prime TV slot!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched the programme this morning and thought it was one of the best programmes that Ive seen for a long time which more or less puts the writing on the wall about being overweight so that anyone with 2 brain cells who when looking down, cant see their feet, will hopefully take notice and not wait for diabetes and other more serious health problems to be diagnosed. As for fats, well eating loads of meat and other processed food containing fats, is often the cause of polyps growing in the colon and if not detected and removed, could go on to become malignant tumours, so fat in moderation is the key.

As for DUK, well they need to bring out the large Silent Assassin poster again but feature someone who is overweight and not necessarily obese and have these posters on billboards outside supermarkets, bus stops, train station escalators and shopping centres and with any luck, people will start to feel uncomfortable about being the size they are and do something to get rid of the spare tyre. GPs also need to issue better dietary guidance and refrain from prescribing oral drugs and warn people of the danger ahead if they dont do something to lose weight and change their diet but of course many GPs are also overweight so they need to do something first before advising others.

I cannot control my anger at this post. It is offensive in the extreme to all type 2's. You should know better. The majority of overweight people do not get diabetes. Not all type 2s are fat. I am not going to derail this thread any longer. I am too angry.

Reactions: 7 people

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
Thanks for saying my thoughts for me Bluetit, I too am angry with iHs, so typical of people who don't really have any idea.

Reactions: 10 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In the interests of your education, it could be useful for you to do some reading into whether an expanded girth in T2s is cause or effect of T2. Your findings could be very enlightening.

Of course, all rules don't apply to all people - whether it be obesity, diabetes or plain arrogance, and of course there are people out there, in all walks of life, with all manner of afflictions who don't help themselves, but sadly not everyone is as well armed as we on here can be.

I do believe T2 diabetics deserve far better information at diagnosis and significantly more meaningful advice on diet too, but it is an unfortunate fact that not all diabetics are able to reverse their conditions, or even make mammoth improvements, due to many factors. Such factors could be time undiagnosed, other illnesses and/or associated treatment regimes, existing organ damage and plain old bad luck.

Diabetes, in my view, really is a significantly varied "portfolio disease", by which I mean it has many causes, many forms which drives a need at times for creative condition management. I have been extremely fortunate to be able to take my own brand of diabetes by the throat and throttle it into a decent place. Every day I thank my lucky stars for that bit of good fortune.

Reactions: 10 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@iHs I take it your not overweight and not eating supermarket food. And yet are ashamed of your diabetic status.
I'd rather be overweight and happy. Grow up and stop showing your ignorance. Have a read of ALL posts not just the ones which think like you. You might learn something!

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
......which more or less puts the writing on the wall about being overweight so that anyone with 2 brain cells who when looking down, cant see their feet, will hopefully take notice and not wait for diabetes and other more serious health problems to be diagnosed.

OMG you really do not have a clue! :mad:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Would these "posters" be alongside or replace the ones "objectifying" & depicting airbrushed "aspirational" women in unfeasibly unhealthily unobtainable dress sizes? ;)

Reactions: 11 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would these "posters" be alongside or replace the ones "objectifying" & depicting airbrushed "aspirational" women in unfeasibly unhealthily unobtainable dress sizes? ;)
Thank you Jaylee. Exactly.

Reactions: 4 people