Freestyle Libre Poll - Have you had a skin reaction ?

Freestyle Libre - Have you had a skin reaction ?

• Total voters

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Once the reactions have started no barrier cream or skintac etc will completely stop it. I used it for 5 months straight with no issue, now every sensor reacts badly :(

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm using a Skin Tac sample this time round. Only 3 days in, will let you know how it goes

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Skintac does help a bit and it definitely helps the sensor stay attached

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am now getting skin reactions and to stop this I use a compeed plaster. I don't shoot through it though, instead i cut a hole in the middle of it and shoot it through the hole, that way I know it's in properly. It also stops it from lifting as it sticks better to the compeed than my skin.

Jon_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First half a dozen sensors, no problem. Last three or four, bad and getting worse. Last sensor, my skin underneath got so weepy like a blister, the sensor fell off after a week. I waited three weeks before even trying another, but the new one is just as bad. When you say Compeed, do you mean literally putting a thin plaster on first, then firing the sensor through that? Any results using that Cavilon or similar creams first? I really don't want to give up on the Libre, but the skin reaction is just becoming too much of a problem.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I came across the attached on Facebook and have ordered the stuff of eBay in an attempt to see if the method stops the dreaded reaction. The poster on Facebook has been successful.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1455044264.802258.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1455044279.917350.jpg

I will post again if this is successful.

Reactions: 2 people

Jon_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info, Andy. I have ordered a craft punch, hope I ordered the right Compeed, there seem to be many different products.

mickeyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A thread to try and get an idea of how many people have had a skin reaction caused by the Abbott Freestyle Libre Sensor.
Voted no skin reaction but bg results up to 5 mmol out on the high end and 2 out on the low end , sensor got knocked off after a week. Gutted i really wanted this to be a great product! Maybe better in a couple of years. Great idea but not up to it.

Jon_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was a little out on the low end for the first 24 hours, but always fine after that. More importantly, my first Hba1C after using them for three months was 6.2, after 25 years of 8.8 to 9.2, which was a miraculous result for me. I think it's a great product, but yes, accuracy and the wretched adhesive issue can only improve.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on my 5th sensor now without any problems until now...area has been quite itchy but have removed sensor tonight to find this
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1456266859.724204.jpg

It's really quite sore...anyone any idea what I can put on it to reduce itching...tried sudocrem but seems to be making it worse

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Oh no, that's how the dreaded reaction begins :(
The itching does stop but I have found every sensor since that reaction, the reaction gets worse each time.

Jon_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used the Compeed, didn't need the craft punch as the sensor fired through it without a problem. Happy to report, no skin reaction this time. Bad news is, it fell off because there wasn't enough adhesive holding it on. Another £50 wasted.

Sooooo, the answer seem so be a Compeed underneath, and a nice large Duoderm plaster over the top to hold everything in place. My GP said I could have the Duoderms on prescription, which is something.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Those who have been having issues with the skin reaction. Have you been applying additional plaster/tape/etc over the top?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those who have been having issues with the skin reaction. Have you been applying additional plaster/tape/etc over the top?
No, my skin reaction started after the 7th or so sensor. Never covered it or used anything.

I've been firing them over Compeeds since then and not had any troubles except the two times that it failed to penetrate the Compeed ... other than that there has been exceptional accuracy and only one time did it start peeling early (after 10 days) ... but a bit of Opsite over the top worked a treat.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no, that's how the dreaded reaction begins :(
The itching does stop but I have found every sensor since that reaction, the reaction gets worse each time.
Oh...that's not good. I'm trying the new one on the other arm...will see what happens this time

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh...that's not good. I'm trying the new one on the other arm...will see what happens this time
It's weird though. I had a reaction about 6-8 months ago. It happened on a few sensors and then it disappeared. I've been using them for 16 months and had about two months where I had issues. After that my body has acclimatized.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's weird though. I had a reaction about 6-8 months ago. It happened on a few sensors and then it disappeared. I've been using them for 16 months and had about two months where I had issues. After that my body has acclimatized.

Hopefully that'll be the case for me too...skin doesn't look as angry today and the itching seems to have subsided already...so it'll not put me off continuing with the libre