Dexcom G5

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its been my best day yet, single digits all day (except a 10 first thing). This is following a lantus increase day 2.

Already checking every 5 min,s haha it's addictive

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is more a question for G5 Users but I am sure there are some cross overs with G4 Users. What software do I use, I have Diasend app and Dexcom Studio (on PC) installed. I don't want to use my receiver (half the reason I went for the G5) but how the hell do I connect my readings to studio if I am using my iPhone as the app????

Diasend has the app (UK - DEXCOM G5) connected but I am receiving no results/ uploaded data. Dexcom Studio, I cant see any way of logging in. On a side note, Dexcom Clairity (i know it is for US only) is available for Mac, has anyone got it working?

So confusing!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think @TorqPenderloin can help with this, but if I understand correctly, the data from your phone is directly uploaded to the Dexcom cloud and you have to log Studio into that to get visibility of it. You may need to set Studio up as a follower.

Reactions: 2 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reporting on my first day with the G5. Firstly love it! Only complaint is that it was way off at one point, following food it levelled off around 11 mmols, at the two hour mark I checked manually with a finger stick and i was actually 6.8 - its been pretty close every other time and it did autocorrect once I entered that value.

The app is really well designed, delay of 3 hours to upload to apple health is a little odd but not a deal breaker. I have been carrying the receiver with me but I have to say using the app is far superior. There is no silent option for the receiver, only vibrate, which was quite annoying at work, my phone was doing a stellar job of alerting me discreetly, while the receiver was vibrating quite hard in my bag. Good strength vibration, but not for the workplace.

The sensor is hardly noticeable, following other forum members advice I used Opsite flexifix to secure it down. I created two 'C's that surround the sensor and tried to limit the excess around the edges. (i will post image later)

I have to say comfortable is the best way to describe wearing it, odd, but theres no itching or any other issues and when touched or knocked theres no pain or twitch (i thought there might be prior to wearing it)

Still no luck with the software. I have emailed Dexcom support and hopefully they can help.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of a CGM - feel free to PM me or reply here with any more questions you would like me to help with :)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think @TorqPenderloin can help with this, but if I understand correctly, the data from your phone is directly uploaded to the Dexcom cloud and you have to log Studio into that to get visibility of it. You may need to set Studio up as a follower.
Thanks for tagging me, haven't logged in in a while.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to how you upload to a laptop/computer without using the clarity application. That's what I currently use myself (I'm in the US).

One thing you may try is editing the "Health" app on your iPhone to include your blood glucose levels. It has a 3 hr delay but it will allow you to see every single data point logged by your phone.

As far as notifications.I NEVER carry my Dexcom receiver (maybe 3 times in the last 5 months).

My setup is: Dexcom G5, iPhone 6s, and an Apple 42mm sport watch.

The watch is setup for haptic (vibration) notifications most of the time so all I need to do is toggle my phone's sound/vibrate switch when I don't want any audible alerts. That's very helpful when I'm in a meeting or conference.

Unfortunately, Dexcom is still finalizing their Apple Watch app so you have to get a bit "creative." I'm using the Dexcom Follow app on my phone (to follow myself) and the "WatchSugar" app which allows me to see my blood sugar on the complications screen(main screen on the app). Another note: I'm not sure if the WatchSugar app works in applications outside the US (it was developed by a fellow diabetic on a US-based diabetes forum).

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have exactly the same setup! I actually love my apple watch but thats for a different forum.

I downloaded WatchSugar but it wouldn't let me log in (guessing US only now you mentioned it). I just have no clue on how to get my data from my phone.

I believe the software shouldn't have a location restriction personally. Its unfair that in the UK we pay more for the device with less functionality.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great, yes, I can see imagine it's addictive. It's the sort of thing you can geek out on and just want to see how different variables impact your glucose levels. How does it feel wearing it? Conscious of it being there?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't notice it tbh, only thing is I am conscious about is getting it wet in the shower, only because it seems the original white adhesive patch sucks the water a bit, and i can see it wet under my opsite flexifix layer. It seems to dry off however.

I have been out and about today (first proper day out since diagnosis) and that is due to the extra confidence from the cgm. It alerted me on the walk back to the car (I'm not back driving yet!) i was on the downwards slope following food (must have been too much insulin). Managed to correct it and verify via fingerstick (its been really **** accurate today).

I have attached my snapshot of 24 hours. I also had another alert for breakfast, too much nova again. Weird thing is my doses haven't changed in the last 3 days and I have used the same dose per carb ratio and both times its sent me too low, I am going to dial it back one or two. My guess is its taken my increase in Lantus three days to start working properly.

f71721b431a6aae0775f6a8f04c58f5a.jpg

iHs

Not sure if you know this already but if you press on the phone screen and gently swipe across the graph line,
you can see all the bg data and the time too along with the carb eaten

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh yes I found that out by accident when I was first playing around with the app

I totally give up with the software - I thought while I wait for a reply I would plug my receiver into the computer, doesn't work with dexcom studio! So i uploded with Diasend and the results are ****!! Nothing close to what studio and clarity offer!!

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So good news! The Diasend method finally uploaded my data! I just disconnected and re signed in on the connected apps page.

The Dexcom studio wont accept my receiver. Even though I want to start moving away from carrying both devices the Studio does seem like better software than Diasend from just a quick play around (with no data)

Has anyone else had this issue with the receiver and studio? Or even better has anyone managed to get Studio to talk/ sign in to the app?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sensor Update : Starting week 2 with my first sensor, a little TLC around the edges of the onsite which has lost a little bit of its sticky. Warm up completed and off I go again!

I am very impressed with the Opsite, good suggestion from the forum members :) I am considering removing it at week two just so i can see how the sensor has interacted with my skin.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sensor Update : Starting week 2 with my first sensor, a little TLC around the edges of the onsite which has lost a little bit of its sticky. Warm up completed and off I go again!

I am very impressed with the Opsite, good suggestion from the forum members :) I am considering removing it at week two just so i can see how the sensor has interacted with my skin.
Flexifix is awesome stuff, but when I need to, I apply it just before the sensor is ready to fall off.

The problem I have when using it on a new sensor is that water gets trapped under the tape which causes the dexcom adhesive to fail faster. Eventually, this causes the sensor to move around ever so slightly (flexifix has some elasticity) which can cause some discomfort.

If I needed to (and fortunately I don't), I'd apply the flexifix around day 10 (how long most of my sensors last without tape/glue) and then replace it every 3-5 days until the sensor eventually failed. I could probably get 20+ days out of it that way.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin I definitely agree with the water issue. I noticed on day two there was water trapped under the onsite, and I can see see under the onsite that the sensor adhesive is lifting in areas. I will hopefully push this to week 2 and then call it.

My little repair seems to have worked, i have also put small strips over the rear of the transmitter as it seems to be lifting a little.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have also put small strips over the rear of the transmitter as it seems to be lifting a little.
The same thing happens in my experience. The way the sensor wire inserts into your skin (fat), it's pretty much inevitable.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its going very well! I am a few days into week two with my original sensor, i find it sometimes reads me a bit lower (max but very rarely a whole 1 mmol) but thats now and then.

I am in the honeymoon period as all my patterns have gone and I seem to be constantly snacking to avoid lows (trying to keep in the 5s as much as possible). My doses are right down but its making very little difference, one morning i will wake up on 9s, the next day 4s.

In this respect, the G5 has made this period 1000 times easier and as such i have only had two minor hypos (just the hands shaking) in over a week. And one of them was because I got a little cocky with it and treated it later than I should have (i was trying to see if it levelled off/wanted to keep my blood low as poss)

How about you @teacher123?

iHs

Flexifix is awesome stuff, but when I need to, I apply it just before the sensor is ready to fall off.

The problem I have when using it on a new sensor is that water gets trapped under the tape which causes the dexcom adhesive to fail faster. Eventually, this causes the sensor to move around ever so slightly (flexifix has some elasticity) which can cause some discomfort.

If I needed to (and fortunately I don't), I'd apply the flexifix around day 10 (how long most of my sensors last without tape/glue) and then replace it every 3-5 days until the sensor eventually failed. I could probably get 20+ days out of it that way.

When I first started using the G4, I inserted the sensor in the lower part of my tummy but found having a shower a bit of a problem because water got behind the transmitter and prevented the display being shown on my Vibe with the ???. Being worried, I removed the transmitter and dried it and then got my hairdryer blowing warm air about 12ins away to gently dry out the plastic cradle and the sensor adhesive where the Opsite hadn't touched. Next time, I decided to place a piece of plastic bag over the top of the sensor to create an umberella and taped the bag to my tummy using waterproof tape. This worked to an extent but wasnt perfect so then decided to alter the flow of water through the shower head and made it less of a shower and more like a hosepipe and quickly washed down, turn shower off, use soap etc, then shower off trying to not get the sensor adhesive in direct contact with water. This works fairly well and I no longer get the ??? sign anymore because of water.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to tape off my sensor before showering, but ultimately gave up on it as it became too high maintenance. I workout hard pretty much every single day and usually get drenched in sweat so a 15 minute shower is the least of my worries.

I'm currently on my 9th day with this sensor and will probably replace it tonight. Call me crazy, but the only thing I've done to this sensor (like many of my past sensors) is add a bit of "Krazy Glue" to the edges that are peeling up. Note- Krazy glue is a high strength all purpose glue (cyanoacrylate) and is by no means intended for medical uses (however plenty of people use it in that way). It costs me about $4usd and a bottle would last me a full year if I needed it to.

iHs

Thanks to you mentioning Crazy Glue I had a google and realised that its not sold in UK but then googled body glue and found there's loads of it sold on eBay so I bought some and found it really good, easy to apply and lasts for a long time.