Morning headache

lynbrown

Last night, I went to sleep about 1am feeling fine after a lovely day. Woke at 6.30 with nausea, headache and feeling poorly. This happens a lot to me. My blood reading was 6.1. Could I have had a hypo during the night? What happens in those night time hours to change how I feel?

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
I wake with terrible headaches which I suspect is related to a night time hypo. I find the only thing that helps is a coffee and ibuprofen, otherwise I'm stuck with the headache all day. Cheers. Glen.

Glucohero

Hi Lynbrown. It could well be night time hypos, obviously after ruling out any other things. I used to get trouble with this and after quite a long while, finally have it under control. For me the hypo would occur always at the same time, without waking me and would self correct, i believe through some process involving the liver. This then leads to an unpleasant feeling the next morning, a bit like having a hangover.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Interesting hangover comparison. I've had a low the night before (read 'Lo') and woken up with a massive over-correction (19) and a blinding headache.

I'm not sure if the headache was more to do with being generally high but I'm sure it has been indicative of night time hypos for other people.,,

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Muir

I'm with you on the liver being the "culprit". Depending on how much it has in store your bg could go 6 in the morning to up to 20ish. Naturally you need some Levemir to keep levels steady during the night, but i'd try reducing your night dosage by maybe 1/3rd and see how you fare.
If this happens often it can be potentially dangerous. If you get hypo/seizure during the night without the liver having a decent reserve to counter you're basicly out of luck - its the last line of defence to up the bg before its too late.

lynbrown

Very interested in the comparisons to a hangover. I often feel like I have severe PMT (impossible at my age, 69). Any tips for that?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Only time and reason I may wake up with a proper morning headache is
relevant to my 'low' blood pressure .

These type of headaches don't half linger and I need strong painrelief and
sunglasses on to cope with the light/sunshine .

Both me and my mother get these ...
They can be so destructive to even relax and enjoy a day with :thumbdown:

Anna.

artijayne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am new to this forum. Newly diagnosed with diabetes type 2 I think , just started Metformin. Waking up feeling bad with a banging headache. I have started a low carb way of eating. But have not been prescribed a blood glucose monitor. I have been informed by the chemist that I would be entitled to test strips on prescription. They did seem to think it would matter which type of to monitor buy. Any advise as to the headaches.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I am new to this forum. Newly diagnosed with diabetes type 2 I think , just started Metformin. Waking up feeling bad with a banging headache. I have started a low carb way of eating. But have not been prescribed a blood glucose monitor. I have been informed by the chemist that I would be entitled to test strips on prescription. They did seem to think it would matter which type of to monitor buy. Any advise as to the headaches.
Hi artijayne, I have been on metformin for 7 weeks now and at first had morning headaches, then after a couple of weeks they had almost gone. After saying this I do occasionally get one every so often, do not know whether it is the Metformin or a diabetic side effect.:confused:

Allie00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got diagnosed this week and have been told to cut my carb intake. The one thing I have noticed is the headaches in a morning, somedays it feels as bad as a borderline migraine or a very bad hangover. I cant think straight and I feel awful. I have got a blood monitor for my sugars and before I go to bed I test them most nights I'm in low to mid double figures(got an appointment to see a nurse on Monday) so I'm only using diet to control my diabetes. Is the headache something I need to worry about? oh and I test my sugars first thing as well and still high, somedays higher than when I go to bed.

C

chris lowe

If you are type 2 on Metformin I doubt you will get a monitor or strips despite NHS guidelines. Have a look around the site, you may find someone is offering free meters but check out cost of strips. As I get my meds free I don't object to paying out for strips. Normally get mine off eBay .