urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Can anyone tell me if it's common to get sore feet (soles) with diabetes I was diagnosed in October 2015 with type 2
Thanks

It is quite common I think. I had it for many years prior to diagnosis but thankfully it eased when I started injecting insulin and my glucose levels came down. I still feel some effects though.

Are your blood sugars under control?

Reactions: Ashybang

rolypoly58

My blood levels are a bit up and down at the moment ranging between 6.9 to 8.5 still finding my way. Always had cracked heels started treating them with cream now. But lately it's been my insole that's sore.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello rolypoly, welcome to the forum neuropathy of the feet is quiet common, i suffered from this when first diagnosed, but the good news is..after losing weight by low carb high fat way of eating, within 7 months my sore feet were much improved, use a good set of inserts for your shoes...and slippers , and try not to bathe ( wash your feet n water that is more than tepid, you will find that just these measures will help a lot until your bs's get into the 5% range, please keep posting and let us know how your doing. Clive

• Hug

DaveNN

It's a relief to know that sore feet can be treated and any initial neuropathy reversed. I've stopped my route marches due to a similar problem..though it looks like chilblains, possibly caused by putting ice cold boots on- having left them in the car boot overnight. I was told by my DN ( possibly the only piece of useful information she ever gave me, though) that having hairy toes...I'm not like a ruddy gibbon though..is a good sign as each hair follicle will be fed by a capillary. Pls continue to keep an eye on your feet and I wish you and all well.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've had sore feet for several years due to nerve damage from diabetes, I currently manage by improving blood sugar levels, massage my feet with a vibrating body massager, use a good moisturizer(custom mixture), and finally I wrap my feet in plastic bags nightly (actually I leave them on all day), this helps stop the moisturizer from evaporating or transferring to my socks, medication includes gabapentin and kratom.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I havent got sore feet but I had really bad cracked heels that were very painful. I didn’t realise this could be related to my diabetes and high BG but now it’s in single figures and rarely goes above 7 mmols, my heels have healed (haha) and I’ve had no more cracks for about a year.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told by my DN ( possibly the only piece of useful information she ever gave me, though) that having hairy toes....is a good sign as each hair follicle will be fed by a capillary.
This old 'hairy toes' message made me lough. I was an adult when I was diagnosed with Type1 but the hairs on my legs had fallen off long before diagnosis. I used to say to people that the one positive thing about Type1 is that I never need to shave my legs again. This is obviously neurological damage that also happens with other illnesses. My husband had Multiple Screlosis and he had no hair, not even on his toes.

Ashybang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rolypoly 58........
Very painful feet I have, ranging from burningfpain, to badly bruised feeling.
Also my left foot, feels like I have a stone in my shoe when putting weight on my feet. Things get so bad it keeps me awake at night with pain, even with raised legs.
I've had several other issues going on, so haven't had GP look at my feet, but this will be resolved as I'm making Doctors appointment to see what can be done.
Hope you can sort out your feet issues, as pain can be quite alarming and mobility can be affected too. Good luck.

Reactions: LeafyArts

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mum doesn't have hairy legs anymore, she's T2... Is that possible?
Hair loss on legs and feet is one of the things that can happen with high BGs. It's one of the things they look for when they're doing the foot checks. All the hair on my feet went at some point, and hasn't grown back.