• Poll closed .

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The final of the three questions based on the twitter discussion. Do you prefer higher or lower? If you've any comments, please comment in the topic!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a tricky one...I hate hypo's...but think in general I prefer being hypo to being high...easier to fix and back to normal in a few minutes rather than that horrible sluggish feeling over 10...that seems to take an age to come back down

Reactions: 2 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, lower, we are talking 5 minutes to correct. When it is high I also worry about the future damage that I am doing while I wait for it come down.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Always HATED being high. As a child I was always told that high was 'wrong', and would lead to terrifying and horrific complications.

I was praised a great deal. 'Good girl', if I was between 3 and 8 (1980s guidelines).
Over 8? Just silence. No 'good girl'.

Anyhow, lows are easier for me to fix, and are - in my head - less 'wrong'. I'd prefer a hypo over a hyper any day!

Although I'd rather have neither and just be perfect, hmmm?

:)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I had to choose whether to be all day long at 3mmol or 10mmol I would choose 10. If its one off, short term I would opt for 3mmol. Easy to fix and less damage I suppose

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Lol, well if their is one thing these polls tell you in aggregation, it's that 10/10 people with Diabetes would prefer a normally functioning pancreas

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because of how I am when I'm hypo - slow reaction, unable to think or sometimes speak. Depending on how low I am I can become totally incoherent. I much prefer to be high/hyper as all I get is a heachache and need to pee a lot more.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
fab topic @tim2000s :)

I can't stand being above 10 and would always choose the below 4 option.
as others have said a low is easy to fix and doesn't last long

battling infections that last for days( with higher BG's) is something i could do without for the rest of my life.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Totally agree :) Its like asking what weather you prefer, hot or cold. When it goes to extremes none of them is pleasant
I totally agree, but there's a distinct lack of research or knowledge about what T1Ds really think, so I'm undertaking my own to give the research HCPs some guidance as to what they might want to consider looking at! :D

I far prefer lower to higher. It's quicker to fix as everyone else has said and feels much less like I'm slowly damaging myself. I also have never found lows (not ones requiring assistance) have left me feeling bad for any length of time afterwards.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no hypo awareness, so don't notice when it's under 4. I do notice when it's high & it takes longer/ is much more difficult to fix.

On the DAFNE course I was told fix hypos immediately, but do not do correction doses for hypers in between meals.

So if I don't notice any immediate effects when it's under 4 & there is no solid evidence that being under 4 does any long term damage, but I do notice the hypers immediately and there is a tonne of solid evidence on the long term risks of running high, why must I fix one and ignore the other?

So my advice, if you are feeding back to HCPs is that they should maybe consider if their advice is logical and internally consistent...

Last edited by a moderator: