LCHF diet and type1

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't need half unit for basal, I take 7 basal in the morning and 10 at night, 1 more or less does not matter much.
But I really do need it for bolus, my bolus is 2.5 to 4, there is one pen with half doses that have just been available where I live but I have not managed to get it yet.
What I did after asking for help from DN and Doctor and pharmacy and getting no help was to get 'normal' insulin syringes and use them to 'suck' out the bolus doses for my apidra pen. Now I can give half units and even a bit less. I use this method at home only and Im stuck with full units when Im out. But since I eat more dinners at home and all breakfasts I can adjust most doses like this, and it helps a lot!

I also uses much less insulin since I don't need to 'prime' the pen, and the 2 (or 3) wasted doses per injection is a lot when you take 3 units for a normal dose and adjust once with maybe 1 units, that is 4(3+1) units used instead of 10(3+3 +3+1).

I use NovoRapid and Levemir and could not find half-unit pre-filled pens (pre-filled pens seem to be the default where I live). @LucySW advised to get the NovoPen Echo that supports half-units and insert insulin cartridges into it: NovoRapid Penfill. It works great. I also plan to get Levemir Penfill, so that I can use half-units also for basal. I often inject just 4 units Levemir at a time and adding a half unit is a 10% increase while adding a full unit is a 20% increase and that is sometimes too much.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The lower your basal insulin and bolus's the more a 1/2 unit pen can make a huge difference.

Ie if for example younwere taking 4 units and 1 unit change is 25% and a half unit change is 12.5%... But if you were on 40 units (as some people are) 1/2 unit changes wouldn't be necessary because that would only be a 1.25% change.....

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use NovoRapid and Levemir and could not find half-unit pre-filled pens (pre-filled pens seem to be the default where I live). @LucySW advised to get the NovoPen Echo that supports half-units and insert insulin cartridges into it: NovoRapid Penfill. It works great. I also plan to get Levemir Penfill, so that I can use half-units also for basal. I often inject just 4 units Levemir at a time and adding a half unit is a 10% increase while adding a full unit is a 20% increase and that is sometimes too much.
I just got my NovoPen Echo today, I really like it!
It have half units (the reason I got it)
It feels very good, much higher quality than the prefilled pens.
It has a memory function, so it will tell you how long ago you last used it and how many units you took. Can be good now and then when you wonder if you really did take insulin or not.
All in all, I'm happy with it after half a day using it. I did use Apidra pre-filled pens before.

Reactions: 2 people

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had my first weekend being low carb and i have enjoyed it. I made delicious celeriac rosti's early they were fab! I made a fab curry with coconut milk and spices. I hope you have all had a good weekend.