'Good' cholesterol not always good (BBC reports)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, good cholesterol is good for most people, but for others, any high cholesterol is bad?
Guess I'm better with lower cholesterol across the board then?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, good cholesterol is good for most people, but for others, any high cholesterol is bad?
Guess I'm better with lower cholesterol across the board then?
Yes, even good cholesterol is bad now :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
everything in moderation

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am reading Dr Kendrick's book at the moment and I don't believe anything these 'scientists' are saying now.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am reading Dr Kendrick's book at the moment and I don't believe anything these 'scientists' are saying now.
My problem is like many on here, I don't believe Doctors either. :(

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not worried about this. The mutation occurs in 1 in 1,700 people. Additionally, those who have this mutation have HDL that are NOT doing as good of a job transporting LDL to the liver, which is it's job. If you think about it, that makes sense. The HDL is struggling to do it's job so the body creates more HDL to get LDL levels down.

What I found more interesting was the Cambridge researcher's statements at the end of the article that Oldvatr posted, that some saturated fatty acids in the blood stream reduce heart disease risk, while other increase it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What Ivor Cummins has to say about the scare-mongering:

http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2016/3/11/hdl-a-p
Definitely a bucolic rant. Although I agree with the points raised, I did feel that this subject deserves a better treatment than was hiccup'd in this article. If I was a doubter, then this piece could well have nudged me back towards the BBC point of view.

I do not know this author, but I think he has dented his reputation by publishing this blog after a party. He is obviously knowledgeable of this subject, but should have delivered it better. It reads a bit like a pseudoscience blog which he dercies.

I read this as a personal POV blog, thats all. I have read much better dissertations on this subject.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely a bucolic rant. Although I agree with the points raised, I did feel that this subject deserves a better treatment than was hiccup'd in this article. If I was a doubter, then this piece could well have nudged me back towards the BBC point of view.

I do not know this author, but I think he has dented his reputation by publishing this blog after a party. He is obviously knowledgeable of this subject, but should have delivered it better. It reads a bit like a pseudoscience blog which he dercies.

I read this as a personal POV blog, thats all. I have read much better dissertations on this subject.
Maybe you'd prefer one of his more serious analyses?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very irresponsible to use headlines like that, trying to scaremonger people out of trying to get good ratios on their cholesterol - especially when the gene mutation they are talking about affects a MINUTE percentage of the population.

Some journalists are not worth the name!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

He did appear briefly on here

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/joseph-kraft-and-hidden-diabetes.83741/

seems to be his style.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe you'd prefer one of his more serious analyses?

I was hoping you would come up trumps. You have a very good reference library.
This one's a winner (but I had to tick the informative box), and I guessed he was a more serious player than his blog portrayed. I am glad this link is here so his contribution is available for us all to read. I do not retract my comments on his blog, but I consider him as a champion,and I recommend this seminar as essential viewing.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My problem is like many on here, I don't believe Doctors either. :(
There are doctors and doctors. Read widely and use those critical faculties. That BBC report is talking about a rare phenomenon with extremely high HDL levels. Not normalish ones that go up gradually with low carb and exercise. Not worth worrying about IMHO.