Is it me or..

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Am I the only one that gets annoyed when I spend time writing a response to a thread, only to find it just disappear? It happened earlier, I posted on a thread here and it got wiped - I saw briefly there had been a request for it to be removed.

Ok, the answers may not have been what were wanted (although there were positive ones too, including plenty that agreed with the OP) but does that give anyone the right to ask for a thread to be deleted, when people have spent time writing and giving their opinions?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I the only one that gets annoyed when I spend time writing a response to a thread, only to find it just disappear? It happened earlier, I posted on a thread here and it got wiped - I saw briefly there had been a request for it to be removed.

Ok, the answers may not have been what were wanted (although there were positive ones too, including plenty that agreed with the OP) but does that give anyone the right to ask for a thread to be deleted, when people have spent time writing and giving their opinions?

How very odd. I sometimes manage to wipe out the last few words of a posting, if I'm using my laptop and my fingers linger on the touch pad.

Could you give us an indication of a thread where this has actually happened, and perhaps @Giverny could see if there is an issue, or indeed if your post were deleted for some reason? Without a real pointer, nobody would know where to "lift the lid" on the software.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It happens if you have written something deemed inappropriate although I sometimes think the reader is reading with a different inflection than the one written. I believe if you are deleted you are supposed to be told why. I guess you offended someone and yes a mod has the final say.

Here are the rules. See if you breached any of them.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/ethos-forum-rules-updated-24-10-15.50278/

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking of humour, I once had a post deleted for wishing someone good luck. The OP on that occasion said he might as well play Russian roulette. It must have been assumed that I wished him ill in this. Haven't seen him about lately.

Reactions: 2 people

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Not just you, in the last 2 hours I've seen a post deleted - meant to be in good spirits & fun, but some people got all sulky pants & now it's vanished....

I think you're never going to get a npost where everyone agrees, but I also think nobody should be made to feel like they need to take their post down or have it reported & then delted by a mod just because some people may disagree :oops:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not just you, in the last 2 hours I've seen a post deleted - meant to be in good spirits & fun, but some people got all sulky pants & now it's vanished....

I think you're never going to get a npost where everyone agrees, but I also think nobody should be made to feel like they need to take their post down or have it reported & then delted by a mod just because some people may disagree :oops:

We are talking about the same thread. I don't think its the case it's just vanished, I saw that the OP had requested it be removed. I don't know about sulky pants, just think that people are coming at it from differing viewpoints. I don't think it's fair that it's just removed with no comment to those who have posted though.

Last edited by a moderator:

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is my post that you're all talking about and I asked for it to be removed.

It was meant to be a laugh not to offend people and it wasn't heading in the right direction.
In all fairness to myself it had been up for quite some time before people took offence to it and offending people was the last thing I wanted to do.
I'm sorry that people felt that way.
It was a bit of banter and nothing more.
I wasn't seriously suggesting that I, or anybody else, should punch somebody in the face for misunderstanding our illness!

The way that thread was heading was going to end up in arguments and as it was me who posed it I didn't want the blame put on me and I didn't want to put people's backs up either.

To be honest it was removed straight after I'd asked it to be removed so mods must have been watching it anyway.

I'll be very careful not to post anything I find humerus again!

Claire x

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @claire1991 for clarifying your decision, and I am sorry it went the way it did too. I was surprised at some of the replies you got, but then I could see that it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, There is place for humour on this forum, but as some standup comics find to their chagrin, it is not always well perceived and in written form it is often mis interpreted (as anyone who texts will recognise as a problem)
Thank you for your apology, and I am happy to accept your explanation.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am sure people would not post anything to intentionaly upset another in here after all this forum is an informative one but one has to watch what one writes in case it affends another even if unintentionally:confused:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry the thread was deleted too. Thought it was going to turn into an entertaining debate.

But the real pity is that this thread started out questioning unexplained thread/post disappearances, and has been derailed into people thinking they need to justify their sense of humour.

We are all entitled to our personal sense of humour.
But equally, everyone else is entitled to find that sense of humour as inappropriate as they like - and to state it, if they feel appropriate.

As I say, could have been in interesting debate.

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
It is my post that you're all talking about and I asked for it to be removed.

It was meant to be a laugh not to offend people and it wasn't heading in the right direction.
In all fairness to myself it had been up for quite some time before people took offence to it and offending people was the last thing I wanted to do.
I'm sorry that people felt that way.
It was a bit of banter and nothing more.
I wasn't seriously suggesting that I, or anybody else, should punch somebody in the face for misunderstanding our illness!

The way that thread was heading was going to end up in arguments and as it was me who posed it I didn't want the blame put on me and I didn't want to put people's backs up either.

To be honest it was removed straight after I'd asked it to be removed so mods must have been watching it anyway.

I'll be very careful not to post anything I find humerus again!

Claire x

There is absolutely no way you should feel you have to apologise for posting somethin innocently meant in humour!

I'm sad that you felt you had to remove it, I for one very much appreciated it! :) And I agree with you, and even posted as much that of course it was humour - none of us in our right minds would punch someone for not understanding diabetes! How I perceived it was merely the frustration a lot of us feel when we hear the same thing, again & again.

I don't want to use the term bullied, because it is certainly not the case, but you felt pushed into having to remove it & also you feel like you can't share things in the future. That's not right. At all. :(

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is absolutely no way you should feel you have to apologise for posting somethin innocently meant in humour!

I'm sad that you felt you had to remove it, I for one very much appreciated it! :) And I agree with you, and even posted as much that of course it was humour - none of us in our right minds would punch someone for not understanding diabetes! How I perceived it was merely the frustration a lot of us feel when we hear the same thing, again & again.

I don't want to use the term bullied, because it is certainly not the case, but you felt pushed into having to remove it & also you feel like you can't share things in the future. That's not right. At all. :(

Haha at least someone took it for how it was meant ;)

It doesn't matter now, I don't feel like I can't post things in future I'll just be careful and try and look at all ways people can take it instead of just how I took it!

It was just a joke that went wrong, nothing more and nothing less, no need to dwell on it now :)

Claire x

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty

It doesn't matter now, I don't feel like I can't post things in future I'll just be careful and try and look at all ways people can take it instead of just how I took it!

It was just a joke that went wrong, nothing more and nothing less, no need to dwell on it now :)

Claire x

I did! So much so that I'm going to find it online & post the hell out of it on Facebook & Instagram!! :p:p

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Claire x

Hi Claire, I remember that and when I saw the 'punch someone in the face', it did make me smile, but thinking :eek: and I know I would never, ever do that to anyone ( but I have felt like doing it lol) So I don't know what was said afterwards. Someone people post indifferent, insensitive and crass replies to posts, I had one recently, replied back, without being nasty or offensive. People have a very different views about 'humour', but don't let anything or anyone stop you from posting something and I agree, there is no need to dwell on it.
Take care and best wishes RRB

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Claire, I remember that and when I saw the 'punch someone in the face', it did make me smile, but thinking :eek: and I know I would never, ever do that to anyone ( but I have felt like doing it lol) So I don't know what was said afterwards. Someone people post indifferent, insensitive and crass replies to posts, I had one recently, replied back, without being nasty or offensive. People have a very different views about 'humour', but don't let anything or anyone stop you from posting something and I agree, there is no need to dwell on it.
Take care and best wishes RRB
In the OLD DAYS, to be in Bad Humour was used to describe someone who had got out of bed on the wrong side. I certainly saw evidence of this.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
In the OLD DAYS, to be in Bad Humour was used to describe someone who had got out of bed on the wrong side. I certainly saw evidence of this.

Hi, I have never heard of being i'n bad humour', I know it as if someone is grumpy or 'out if sorts' it is said they must if got out of the wrong side of bed :wideyed:
I wish I had seen all of the threads posts, but alas not :oops:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have never heard of being i'n bad humour', I know it as if someone is grumpy or 'out if sorts' it is said they must if got out of the wrong side of bed :wideyed:

In ye very olde goode olde dayes, our bodies were believed to be made up of various fluids known as humours which affected our health and moods, and if these became out of balance then we were in a bad humour, or got out of bed in one. :D

Robbity

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish I had seen all of the threads posts, but alas not :oops:
Rogets Thesaurus has 40 synonyms for 'Bad Humour' such as Tetchy, Irrascible, pugnacious, viperous. etc.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not going to get into the humour, bad or good, I didn't start this thread to discuss that. What I will say briefly though is that this section of the forum is the Diabetes Soapbox, where people write about things that annoy, or irritate. We have got a section specifically for Jokes and Humour, which might be worthwhile keeping in mind..

My irritation (although I do understand Claire's concerns, and that she did what she felt was appropriate) was with the fact a whole thread has gone. If it was felt to be getting out of hand, then lock it and take it from there. When people ask for their threads to be deleted, it's not taking into account the feelings of those who have already posted in reply to their original post and I do feel it's discourteous.

Nuff said.