Newcastle Diet, tea/ coffee question.

ForestQueen

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could answer a question for me.

Can you drink tea or coffee on the Newcastle diet? I know you can't have milk, but can you drink tea of coffee black? Or are they not allowed in their own right?

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

Reactions: hillj757

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I drank lots of black tea. Milk of course has calories etc so black is fine

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But beware that caffeine causes a cortisol response, which in turn leads to both a glucagon release and an insulin response. As a result, it may not be wise to drink coffee.

ForestQueen

Type of diabetes
LADA
But beware that caffeine causes a cortisol response, which in turn leads to both a glucagon release and an insulin response. As a result, it may not be wise to drink coffee.

Thankyou Tim, very helpful. I'll just have the odd cup of Earl Grey.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou Tim, very helpful. I'll just have the odd cup of Earl Grey.
I used peppermint tea, but any leaf tea is fine. I also drank coffee, no ill effects, but seemed to lose the taste for it. No milk.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @ForestQueen
I drank Tea and coffee throughout the 8 weeks I was on ND (with a dash of skim milk) I am not recommending it but I lost a significant amount of weight and lowered my BG's to normal levels as well

Reactions: hillj757

hillj757

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @ForestQueen
I drank Tea and coffee throughout the 8 weeks I was on ND (with a dash of skim milk) I am not recommending it but I lost a significant amount of weight and lowered my BG's to normal levels as well
Great advice, I am day 2 of the ND and was kinda thinking I would drink coffee with skimmed milk as my treat.

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I am on week 8 of the ND
I know the original ND said no dairy

So I only drink black coffee which helps get your metabolism going anyway.
I can't drink black tea so dropped that.
Other people during Earl Grey and other infusions. Green tea is a great one.
You can also drink diet drinks that are sugar free.
It is very important to drink plenty of water, at least 2 litres per day

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @ForestQueen
Hi muzza (great name!)
Where are you at with your BGs, meds, HbA1c, weight etc?
Would be interested to know as I intend to go low carb next week at the end of my ND

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been drinking black coffee, in fact black coffee has been my breakfast throughout my 8 weeks of diet.

Tannith

BANNED
I did Newcastle with 900 cals real food. That included tea which I prefer to coffee. It worked for me. I lost 11 and a half percent of my weight and got my hbac down to 40 and my fbgs to 5.6. (or was it 5.3 - I forget now I'd have to look it up) I finished in jan 18 and am now losing a little more weight just to give myself a buffer zone in case of emergency.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh I did not know that! I have drunk decaff coffee for years, but lots of ordinary tea. A few weeks ago I changed over to decaff tea, and this was around the same time my fasting and before meals levels notched downwards. I wonder if that is the reason. I only swapped to decaff to slow my heart rate down a bit. Double bonus!! Thanks.

Rosiecat1

so does Green Tea put up your cortisol as well then? I have addisons disease and have to take hydrocortisone 3 x a day since being diagnosed in 2015 purely by chance on a routine blood test.
I started the Newcastle diet on Tuesday and have lost 5lb already, am using Slimfast shakes as my Dr couldn't do prescription for Optifast, the nutritional values for Slimfast are the closest to Optifast that I found and easily obtainable
I am Type 2 since 2010 and am on Metformin 2 x day 1 x Forxiga a day and was on 60mg Gliclazide a day also but stopped that and the Forxiga when I started this because I have done a v low carb diet in 2015 and lost a stone and blood sugars went from 69 to 48 in six months and I came off ALL diabetes medication - so know I wont need the Glic/Forx when I loose a bit of weight.
Was put on Forxoga early last year and Gliclazide this feb having had rise in Blood sugar readings after Xmas (only to be expected I think!)

Last edited: