Theme park & fun rides

debbiiee

I went to a theme park with friends and in every fun ride like roller coaster, there was a warning that people with diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and any other chronic ailments should not go for the ride.. Does that mean that I shouldn't enjoy those fun rides with friends? Feeling down!!

Kaz333666999

Type of diabetes
MODY
Its never stopped me! Don't let it get you down. I just find that the extra adrenaline released sometimes means my blood sugars yoyo slightly, but i just make sure I test and have lots of snacks in my pocket. Sometimes theres no effect at all though :)

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not mad keen on those rides anyway...after a bad experience a few years back...but these type of warnings are there to covers their butts...so long as you are careful and in control I see no reason why you can't enjoy them like everyone else...probably best to keep your sugars a little higher than normal though and maybe check BG before and after

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly go on roller coasters, along with 2 friends who are T1 and another who is a T2 on insulin, none of us have had any issues at all from the rides, in Florida its the heat and food choices that were more problematic.
Its my husband who has back and neck issues who chooses the rides carefully as jolts can cause him issues.

Obviously you will have to make the decision yourself if you go on the rides or not.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also never had any issues ... certainly no impact on my blood sugars from any type of rides/attractions for me; I would not feel the need to run my sugar level higher.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not T1, but I've done a few 'adrenaline' sports with people who are.

While you can't dismiss the effects of adrenaline, you may also find the rush can mimic a hypo, (shakey, sweaty,depending on your reaction).

And to be fair to the ride owners, diabetes may be the only symptom you are aware of, sadly it can affect health in other ways, which you may not be aware of yet. So long as you know yourself, get on and enjoy it!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As with anything in life, people put disclaimers on signs to cover their backsides, treat everything with an ounce of common sense and if it feels ok then it probably is, there is no reason why you shouldn't do anything you want to. I did a parachute jump a year ago and no one asked me about my type 1 however the small print asked for a letter from my docs, no one looked at it though.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those signs are there so that if there is an accident or a medical emergency, the business cannot be sued.
- if the sign is up, and you ignore it, the consequences become your responsibility.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The signs are probably there in case the rise gets stuck up there for an hour or so. Just make sure you've got something with you (like glucose tablets) and you should be fine

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whenever you see "diabetes" on anything, just read it as "type 2 diabetes". We're a minority and they don't really care about us.

Always take care when in any situations where you could get stuck (generally whenever you step inside a vehicle, including elevators, ALWAYS carry some fast and long-acting carbs). One of my colleagues at work once got stuck in the toilet for 20 mins because the doorknob broke! I was always extra careful after that.

If you take precautions and use common sense you'll be fine. Have fun!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to a theme park with friends and in every fun ride like roller coaster, there was a warning that people with diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and any other chronic ailments should not go for the ride.. Does that mean that I shouldn't enjoy those fun rides with friends? Feeling down!!

Do you have any of the other "Chronic ailments" listed? Live life to the full.... & claim you had "retinopathy" & didn't see the sign.. lol ;)

debbiiee

I am happy that I am not forbidden from enjoying these little things. Thank you everyone for your kind replies. @Jaylee , still no complications, but I can use your idea...ROFL:-D

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Have a great time debbielee and just make sure you have a drink and food of some type with you.
I don't like any big rides at all, the Merry go round is enough for me lol. I did go on Space mountain Eurodisney Paris, because my then teenager wanted to go on it and I didn't want her to go on her own, but never, ever again :stop: The attendants asked me if I was alright, do I need any help, when I eventually staggered off :wideyed:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Whenever you see "diabetes" on anything, just read it as "type 2 diabetes". We're a minority and they don't really care about us.

I usually read it as type 1 as keeping levels stable would be more critical in an emergency.