Should Lucozade be exempted from the sugar tax?

gscorey

Well and who do you think will be paying for your hypos then? The rest of us! How is that fair? T1s are already exempt from paying prescription charges. Many of us aren't. Asthmatics aren't exempt even though their drugs are life saving ones too.
Maybe you should start a petition for asthmatics to be able to receive free prescriptions!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Maybe you should start a petition for asthmatics to be able to receive free prescriptions!

Maybe you need to chill out a bit? Petitions don't do diddly squat and you probably know that. Asthma is a life threatening condition too you know - and one can't buy anything over the counter to use when having an attack. If you can't afford the prescriptions you're screwed. But this thread is getting into ludicrous realms now..it's not feasible to make an exception. It is not marketed for those with diabetes. It is a fizzy soft drink and as others have pointed out, what about those who choose other means to treat a hypo?

Ljack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So people are generally saying tax a life saving during for diabetics...

gscorey

at the end of the day, the sugar tax is just politics, designed to help lower the UK debt. Mr Osbourne certainly has succeeded in pulling the wool over lots of people's eyes. It's has simply been dressed up to make people think it is a worthwhile thing, while in reality it has nothing to do with driving down obesity. Too many gullible people out there!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I won't mess about on this one.
I smell "troll." But don't worry. I also have a dark sense of humour..

We know you're from the Dark Side..:eek:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't you realise someone has to pay for this? It's not just the super rich, it's everyone who has to pay tax.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hey steady on. Have you ever seen an ashmattic episode? I have many years ago with some one.. My teacher. Not good.

Step away from the keyboard. Before you realy upset someone..

Reactions: 5 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wouldn't worry my dark-sided friend:D. Those of us who live with it, don't stress with nonsense like that statement about scripts;)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are thousands of families who are struggling to even scrape by with a type I diabetic in their family. They struggle to get the food they need on a daily basis and have to rely on outside sources for help and support. This tax is going to be yet, another burden on their already overstretched finances. So yes, I think we should be prepared to help people like this, maybe tax the richest in this country at a higher rate, so that money can then be available to support the extra burden by Type I's and hypo treatments.
And buy their weekly groceries too no doubt......

gscorey

Hey steady on. Have you ever seen an ashmattic episode? I have many years ago with some one.. My teacher. Not good.

Step away from the keyboard. Before you realy upset someone..
Don't be so sensitive. I wasn't trying to upset you and certainly wasn't taking the mick out of asthmatics. I am an asthmatic as a matter of fact so I know what it can be like!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can we please keep the thread polite and about the topic of lucozade and being exempt from any charge on the manufacturer based on the sugar content.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I do like the idea of Mars bars. Trouble is, could I resist the temptation. Probably not.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
one bite and I would have to eat all 4 in the multipack. Doubt it would stay in my bag long enough for the time I need it. How do I express the word "sugar" like Homer says doughnuts

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
upload_2016-3-23_22-1-52.png
A picture paints a thousand words..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't be so sensitive. I wasn't trying to upset you and certainly wasn't taking the mick out of asthmatics. I am an asthmatic as a matter of fact so I know what it can be like!

I'm cool (as always.) I've had a sensitivity bypass years ago... My mindset? "It could be worse for me". A lot of people inhabit this "rock" we spin on with way more worries than a poxy "business tax".... ;)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So if Lucozade goes up slightly in price due to the sugar tax; are all those who use it to treat a hypo going to stop buying it? No, thought not.

It's like most food prices, they all go up. I don't know how many times I go into my local supermarket and notice many items have a few pence added on. I know someone who loved lucozade and when it was on offer they bought bottles of it ( Tesco I think) but had so many, they didn't have room in their cupboard to store them all !!! this person doesn't have diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think it should be taxed. Plus it could be a positive thing as people will try harder to control it and not eat so many things that are bad for us. We are also wanting to fit in more and forget we have diabetes. Would this not be a reminder of that.

Edited by a mod to remove incorrect statement

I will have to disagree with you with everything, except............. tax lucozade, yes and tax all sugary/glucose drinks too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well that escalated quickly! People getting their hair off over a few pence price increase. Gee whizz!

Agree with you mahola, I've have just logged on and all hell is breaking loose, over LUCOZADE :eek::stop:

Reactions: 4 people