Should Lucozade be exempted from the sugar tax?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If there is such strong depth of feeling about the L drink, is there a petition campaigning against the proposed tax? Or is anybody making a concerted effort to raise the issue with their MP for example?

I believe the JDRF have raised the matter of Lucozade being used as a hypo treatment. I'll see if I can find the statement.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@catapillar You should be able to delete a wrong 'funny'. If you press the wrong thing by mistake you can undo that and then press the one you meant to press.

Thanks for the JDRF link :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can all posters please try to calm down and think how the other party is going to feel and react to your post.

Andrew has already requested that members should calm down and to stick to the question in the thread title, so can we just address the question and not take swipes at each other otherwise thread bans will be implemented to those who continue with their ways.

Nuck

Lucozade is owned by GlaxoSmithKline. I am sure they have plenty of resources to lobby anybody they need to effect changes. They care very little about the people only profit, this will not effect them. The tax has done it's job in the short term. It has raised awareness about what we put into our children and how it's effecting their help. I do remember when I was young (1980's) if we got ill my mother would buy a bottle to perk us up. How our intelligence about what we eat has got better.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spices, Indian food, peanut butter
One or two full bottles a day?:wideyed: Every day? How many hypo's do you have during the day?
the 330ml bottles not the huge ones, bad days i can spend all day hypo. Some times i need two bottles to cure one hypo. Most mornings i have my lucozade and I'm lucky if that's the only one. I've tried everything and I've had enough, no longer have hypo symptoms so that's an extra pain int he bum.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lucozade is owned by GlaxoSmithKline. I am sure they have plenty of resources to lobby anybody they need to effect changes. They care very little about the people only profit, this will not effect them. The tax has done it's job in the short term. It has raised awareness about what we put into our children and how it's effecting their help. I do remember when I was young (1980's) if we got ill my mother would buy a bottle to perk us up. How our intelligence about what we eat has got better.
Glaxo sold Luxozade the Ribeana company

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What drives me mad about this topic, is after watching Jamie Oliver who had no response for what about diabetics who use sugary drinks to save their lives and stop putting extra pressure on the NHS. All he cared about was the tax on those drinks going to create breakfast clubs for kids at school and creating extra sports clubs for kids to be active.

First of all I don't have kids why am I paying for other people's kids, they've had them they should feed them. If i had kids they would have breakfast, a packed lunch for school and tea on table when they come home, I wouldn't expect anyone else to pay to feed them! Secondly sports clubs for kids, how exactly are we going to get them to take part? In my local area they have many clubs for kids to take part in but we are still one of the fattest towns in the Uk with the largest percentage of fat kids, sports clubs are not doing a great deal for them. Jamie had a great idea but the reasons for taxing the drinks and using to make kids healthier is just rubbish, parents need educating not the kids.

Reactions: 4 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
What drives me mad about this topic, is after watching Jamie Oliver who had no response for what about diabetics who use sugary drinks to save their lives and stop putting extra pressure on the NHS. All he cared about was the tax on those drinks going to create breakfast clubs for kids at school and creating extra sports clubs for kids to be active.

First of all I don't have kids why am I paying for other people's kids, they've had them they should feed them. If i had kids they would have breakfast, a packed lunch for school and tea on table when they come home, I wouldn't expect anyone else to pay to feed them! Secondly sports clubs for kids, how exactly are we going to get them to take part? In my local area they have many clubs for kids to take part in but we are still one of the fattest towns in the Uk with the largest percentage of fat kids, sports clubs are not doing a great deal for them. Jamie had a great idea but the reasons for taxing the drinks and using to make kids healthier is just rubbish, parents need educating not the kids.

Why don't you write to Jamie Oliver, see if you get a response?

Nuck

Why do we always shoot the messenger. We live in a very lazy world with cars and escalators. I remember helping mum carry the shopping back from town. We could only buy what we could carry. We have people that don't even leave their chairs to shop.
It's a fact that obesity is on the up. Jamie is a chirpy chap who is passionate about what he does. The tax is a sham but something needs to happen.
As for paying for other people's kids we have free schools you pay for that.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, but if I ever get in power, it'll be free jelly babies for all!