PHD Diet Whey

Vanessa_M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anybody could help me?
I am a type one diabetic who carb counts and i also have an underactive thyroid and i just wanted some information on whether this would be good to take to try to lose weight? I would be taking it as 2 meal replacements breakfast and dinner as this is the most effective way for weight loss.

Any information would be a great help :) thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you plan to use them in the way you described then they wouldn't be supplements....they would meal REPLACEMENTS.

Supplementing your breakfast and dinner with protein powder isn't going to help you lose weight. That's just adding additional calories to your diet which all things equal will make you GAIN weight.

My advice: skip the supplements unless you have an obvious deficiency in a particular nutrient. Personally, I'd much rather cook myself a nice 200 calorie breakfast than to mix up 200 calories from a powder and drink it.

Vanessa_M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you plan to use them in the way you described then they wouldn't be supplements....they would meal REPLACEMENTS.

Supplementing your breakfast and dinner with protein powder isn't going to help you lose weight. That's just adding additional calories to your diet which all things equal will make you GAIN weight.

My advice: skip the supplements unless you have an obvious deficiency in a particular nutrient. Personally, I'd much rather cook myself a nice 200 calorie breakfast than to mix up 200 calories from a powder and drink it.

Thanks for your help :)
But i have read into it and done my research and you use it as a meal replacement to lose weight :)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your help :)
But i have read into it and done my research and you use it as a meal replacement to lose weight :)
Fair enough, I guess I misunderstood your original post and thought you were looking for input.

If you're looking to follow a diet that's roughly 75% protein, then this would be a great meal replacement.

Vanessa_M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fair enough, I guess I misunderstood your original post and thought you were looking for input.

If you're looking to follow a diet that's roughly 75% protein, then this would be a great meal replacement.

I did want input, it were maybe just the way you put it, made me feel stupid :/

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did want input, it were maybe just the way you put it, made me feel stupid :/
It wasn't my intention to make you feel stupid, but many people have similar questions and are disappointed after they spend their money on something that may not meet their expectations.

I was trying to help you understand that the protein powder you had asked about would not be anymore effective at helping you to lose weight than eating regular food with the same nutritional value.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I'd go with Torq's suggestion - if you're going to eat 200 kcal of protein for breakfast, there are much more interesting ways (no pun intended) to get it and you'll probably feel happier. A 3 egg omelette for instance. There's nothing magic about whey protein, though as it's boring as hell, you might not be tempted to eat as much as say, bacon or eggs.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
PhD Diet Whey is no different to the Whey powders that weight lifters use after a training session @Vanessa_M , with perhaps less protein that the better quality ones that weight trainers use.

Ultimately, the key thing to consider is this. A whey protein shake containing 50g of powder contains 182 calories, but you are likely to feel hungry a couple of hours after eating. By all means use them as meal replacements, but ultimately you'd be using them as a way of reducing your over all calorie consumption, and that's what's most likely to help you lose weight. Doing that by eating in a more holistic way using meat and veg is likely to be more effective.

Vanessa_M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your help, and sorry Torq for taking it in the wrong way... I've bought a 1kg pack 40 servings so that will roughly take 20days to use if i use it as 2 meal supplements, so i will see if it helps me and if not then i will definitely try doing low calorie meals.