Low carb and weakness too little potassium?

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm 19 and newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have been eating a low carb diet which has allowed me to not bolus as I'm still in the honeymoon period. However I have been experiencing muscle cramps in my calves at night and muscle weakness in my arms and legs. Also a stuffyness in my head, a general weakness and a fast heartbeat sometimes. I'm wondering if this is "keto flu" or low potassium levels and if anyone else has experienced it. Also how to solve it! Is this something more serious? I'm especially afraid of cardiac arrhythmias.
Thanks for your help!
Lila

GordonMcLean

Hi LilaE

How are your blood sugar readings?

If I ever feel really tired in my legs or the like then my sugars would be sky high...
As far as arms and your head are concerned everyone is different in their symptoms I've personally not had those ....

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When you switch to low carb you should add sea salt to your diet as low carb is a diuretic diet by nature.
Avocados are high in potassium and great for bs.
You can add sea salt to your foods or to water and drink throughout the day. As your body is switching to becoming a fat burner salt is important to stay hydrated

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lila

I'm type 2 and understand there are differences.
However, when I started cutting down my carbs I went through the fuzzy stage - it lasts several days.

On the plus side, no more cramps in my calves.

As I have lost weight I now have more muscle definition. I worked on leg strength through cycling and upper body through swimming.

Exercise will also have an impact on blood sugars (sometimes negatively at first) but overall will settle as you get fitter or the body adjusts to the lifestyle.

Hope this helps

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm 19 and newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have been eating a low carb diet which has allowed me to not bolus as I'm still in the honeymoon period. However I have been experiencing muscle cramps in my calves at night and muscle weakness in my arms and legs. Also a stuffyness in my head, a general weakness and a fast heartbeat sometimes. I'm wondering if this is "keto flu" or low potassium levels and if anyone else has experienced it. Also how to solve it! Is this something more serious? I'm especially afraid of cardiac arrhythmias.
Thanks for your help!
Lila

Hi Lila

I have recently been getting a fast heartbeat. I have been LCHF for over 2 months. I am going to try and increase my salt intake by drinking bouillon. Hope you feel better soon.

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the responses everyone, I've been eating lots of avocados hahah and will try to increase some sodium intake. My sugars are mostly normal but I still go low a lot but probably less since reducing my insulin and carbohydrates. I did eat some carbs and bolus for them last night because the ketones were scaring me and within a few hours they disappeared and I felt a lot better although my sugar went higher than it's been in weeks. I think I will return to the LCHF but think about it more carefully and make sure I get all the right nutrients. Feeling a lot better this morning now
Thanks again!