Type 1 - newly diagnosed

Alastair McL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, new to forum.

On 18 march 16 I was diagnosed with type 1. Not having been aware of any symptons I found it hard to believe but now that I know what I should have been looking out for, I know I have had it for some time

Like everyone else I have found it's a lot to take in but the diabetics support team at Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow have been really helpful.

Early days but I'm starting to come to terms with it and realise it's not going away.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Alastair McL

Hello Alastair and welcome to the forum :) As newly diagnosed, you should find this information we give to new members useful. It gives a lot of advice on carbs and includes a link to the Low Carb Program. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there Alastair
welcome to the forum :)

lots of great people here so any questions at all -- ask away and somebody will be along to support !

all the best !

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it's not going away.
and neither is the forum, so ask any questions you want, even if they seem a bit daft at the time.

It will take a while to get your head round things, but there's a fair chance that someone on here will be able to help or give their perspective.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Hi, new to forum.

On 18 march 16 I was diagnosed with type 1. Not having been aware of any symptons I found it hard to believe but now that I know what I should have been looking out for, I know I have had it for some time

Like everyone else I have found it's a lot to take in but the diabetics support team at Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow have been really helpful.

Early days but I'm starting to come to terms with it and realise it's not going away.

Welcome to the club bud.

Catrat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It is a dreadful shock to be told that multiple daily injections are now a way of life! But there are a lot worse things. I was diagnosed in 1972 age 22. I have had a wonderful life and I am looking forward to a lot more of it. Everyone has some burden to carry and there are things much much worse than type 1 diabetes. I throw my pens, my glucometer and my sugar tablets in my bag and get out there and enjoy and embrace life. I sincerely hope you can do the same. Cathy

Millie_Tant_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alastair, welcome to the forum. I'm newly diagnosed type 2 and so thankful that I found this website and forum. I've found loads of helpful advice so keep looking for what you need to know and don't be too afraid to ask.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

bubblygirl101

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi, new to forum.

Earl
Hi, new to forum.

y days but I'm starting to come to terms with it and realise it's not going away.[/QUOTE
Welcome friend! My son at 21 was diagnosed 3 years ago when something went terribly wrong. He ended up in emergency and lapsed into a coma. I can't even begin to tell you what went through my mind. However, he received such excellent support and care and today manages it very well. It is not the end of the world. Only the beginning of another journey Ala

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Hi Alastair! Welcome :) I only joined the forum a few months ago, but I've found it to be really helpful with information & everyone on here is super supportive!

Robert_Blair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, new to forum.

Hi Alastair,

I was diagnosed Type 1 last October, and, like you I now realise that there were signs there which I didn't understand. Try to take a lot of advice from people who aren't experts with a pinch of salt, they are invariably talking about Type 2. The good news about Type 1 is that you don't have to live your life on depressing diets, you can eat whatever you like, you 'just' have to learn the value of everything in terms of insulin. My main advice is, become a creature of habit, it makes your insulin calculations much easier.

Any advice you want, just ask.

Regards
Rob

Reactions: 4 people

Smithsky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="Robert_Blair, post: 1151883, member: 231634"ho]Hi Alastair,

I was diagnosed Type 1 last October, and, like you I now realise that there were signs there which I didn't understand. Try to take a lot of advice from people who aren't experts with a pinch of salt, they are invariably talking about Type 2. The good news about Type 1 is that you don't have to live your life on depressing diets, you can eat whatever you like, you 'just' have to learn the value of everything in terms of insulin. My main advice is, become a creature of habit, it makes your insulin calculations much easier.

I do agree with Rob, there is a lot to take in and one size doesn't fit all.I was diagnosed type 1 at age 44 I think and it did floor me but if your team in Glasgow are as good as the one I have in Edinburgh you will get lots of help. I remember saying I'll do anything you want apart from give up cheese and wine and they laughed telling me you could have better readings on fast food with good insulin control than on a healthy diet with bad control. (not that I do eat fast food and low GI food does help the insulin pan out better). On a high today after an eye test with no damage again so cheese and wine is a winner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill166

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the club mate! Like a few people have said, it's not the end, just a new beginning. Great that you said you realise it's not going away, that's important. You can't ignore this, you have to deal with it every day. It seems really daunting at first with all the injections and nutrition information and rules and scary stories, but you'll get the hang of it with help. Then you can start to take control of the condition and get on with life just like you did before (apart from the dessert course).

You can still do almost anything (you won't get a pilot's licence), you just have to learn how to work the condition for you. Everyone's different; the medics can give you advice and guidelines, but you do have to work out what works best for you personally. I was diagnosed T1 35 years ago when I was 14. Since then I've travelled the world, worked in lots of countries, scuba dived, skied, got married and had kids, and usually cycle 20 miles before work every morning. And the low-GI diet I was taught about 35 years ago is what everyone is told to eat now! The world is still your oyster.

Reactions: 4 people

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, private pilot's licenses have been available to us since 2002, commercial ones since 2012. So one more thing to add to the bucket list.

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Alastair McL.

Sorry I'm so late in welcoming you, sir, but you'll find some very knowledgeable people here but do check with your doctor before you make any changes or try something new. After all, s/he will be the one that needs to know what's happening with you.

Already you've received some wonderful information, Alastair, but as others have already stated, if there's any question(s) you have don't be afraid to ask. Things MIGHT seem silly to ask, but the fact is the silliness is if you don't ask. It's always better to get different opinions.

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
Another welcome to the club! I've had Type 1 for 40 years now and can't really remember life before it, so I understand it is a lot to come to terms with as an adult. There have been so many advances over that time with new technology which makes it a bit easier now to manage control and live life as you want to. The main advice I'd give, however, is to realise that what works for one person with Type 1 won't necessarily work for somebody else. This can often be quite frustrating! There's a lot of trial and error. So take advice but don't get downhearted if it doesn't work for you, maybe somebody else's advice will work better!