Type 2, - Blood Sugars = 8 in the morning, 5 in the afternoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm Type 2 on tablets (Gliclazide 40 mg) and measure my Blood Sugar twice a day.
In the morning, before breakfast the typical value is 8.0 mmol/L. In the afternoon, before tea, the reading is typically 5.0 mmol/L. The readings average out at about 6.9 mmol/L, which corresponds to the latest HbA1C result.
But I'm puzzled as to why the Blood Sugar levels are always higher first thing in the morning. Is this because the effect of the Gliclazide wears off over 24 hours?
The Practice Nurse seems to be quite happy with the state of affairs, but I have nagging doubts.
Any views?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I'm Type 2 on tablets (Gliclazide 40 mg) and measure my Blood Sugar twice a day.
In the morning, before breakfast the typical value is 8.0 mmol/L. In the afternoon, before tea, the reading is typically 5.0 mmol/L. The readings average out at about 6.9 mmol/L, which corresponds to the latest HbA1C result.
But I'm puzzled as to why the Blood Sugar levels are always higher first thing in the morning. Is this because the effect of the Gliclazide wears off over 24 hours?
The Practice Nurse seems to be quite happy with the state of affairs, but I have nagging doubts.
Any views?

Hi. If you pop Dawn Phenomenon into the search box at the top of the page, you'll find plenty of discussions on the subject - it's very common:)