Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@BooJewels, when you use garlic in a stir-fry just roast it in the oven first, that way it isn't robust or you could just use a garlic crusher instead.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pumpkin puree is easy. Roast your squash (any but pumpkin will be a little sweeter add a tiny bit of sweetner if you think it needs it) then mash it with a fork. Ive had both fresh and tinned and much prefer fresh just a little bit more time consuming. If the recipe doesnt have pumpkin spices (I think they are just nutmeg,cinnemon and cloves, allspice and ginger ) then add spices. Its probably the wrong time of year as pumpkins seem to come October then disappear. Butternut squash will work instead.

Recipe using coconut flour http://dessertswithbenefits.com/healthy-pumpkin-pancakes/
Recipe using almond meal http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-pumpkin-pancakes/

Coconut flour is extremely absorbent which is why only 2 tblsps compared to almond meal of 1 cup. They will turn out more like an american pancake (scotch) than a crepe.
Thanks, but I'm too lazy for that kind of palaver! ;) But I suppose I could save a wedge or two when I roast squash in the autumn... I usually put a lot of salt, pepper and rosemary on top, and brush with olive oil, I'll just have to remember to leave some plain.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)
I use this recipe
http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-pumpkin-pancakes/
And tinned pumpkin puree - from Tescos. I read somewhere that it may actually be butternut squash, but i can't remember where i saw that. :)
I think it is seasonal, and hard to come by atm, so i buy several tins when i see them, and they last til i next spot them in stock.
Thanks, I'll look for it at Tesco next autumn!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously...............a clove or two :eek:

No I meant bulbs, garlic is extremely good for you ... @BooJewels

I also use garlic in large amounts (though not in everything). I lived in China for a while, and one of the wonders of their vegetable markets is being able to buy cloves of garlic ready peeled by the kilo!

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have to confess I'm still dodging.
Although I've found a bag of shredded cabbage in the freezer and made a delicious stir-fry with brussel sprouts and onion in stock cubes sprinkled in the cold oil. Yummy. Veg only and it was awesome! I'll be having that again. :)
I may have made too much so had the remaining quarter late e that day reheated in microwave. Because veg was just parched they were perfect after oil and steam/wok cooked and microwave without turning to mush.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to confess I'm still dodging.
Although I've found a bag of shredded cabbage in the freezer and made a delicious stir-fry with brussel sprouts and onion in stock cubes sprinkled in the cold oil. Yummy. Veg only and it was awesome! I'll be having that again. :)
I may have made too much so had the remaining quarter late e that day reheated in microwave. Because veg was just parched they were perfect after oil and steam/wok cooked and microwave without turning to mush.

If you liked the cabbage, you could try an extremely tasty dish using sprouts.

Prepare brussels in the usual way. Par cook for a few minutes, drain and cool.

Slice sprouts to about 3-4mm wide. The width of the slicing in unimportant, just trying to identify you're breaking down the shape really.

Sweat down bacon of your choice and retain the oil/fat. When it's almost done, add some garlic, if you like it.

Chuck the sprouts back in and ensure you cover all the sprouts in the bacon flavoured fat/oil and mix through anything else you h ave added - garlic, shallots or whatever.

It's a great way to get some green in and it can be kept in the oven for a short while if your timings of other things go a bit adrift. delicious.

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
Haven't read all of this but the best way to cook veg is to stir fry. I add some fajita mix then melt cheese over after. Lovely. Normally veg adds a bit of fibre. For that I would suggest the humble lentil. 100g gives you something like 30g of fibre which is the recommended daily amount. Try Channa Dahl

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't read all of this but the best way to cook veg is to stir fry. I add some fajita mix then melt cheese over after. Lovely. Normally veg adds a bit of fibre. For that I would suggest the humble lentil. 100g gives you something like 30g of fibre which is the recommended daily amount. Try Channa Dahl
What type of lentils are giving you 30g of fiber? Standard ones are usually 8g per 100g boiled or were yours 100g dried? 20g of carbohydrates in a 100g boiled is a lot for some people 100g dried lentils must be the answer now Ive looked up raw lentils. 60g of carbohydrate is definately a large volume per 100g raw lentils. It would be more than my allowance per day lol

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saw a lovely vegetarian recipe for sweet potatoes. 1 can of chopped tomatoes, tablespoon of sun dried tomatoes, tablespoon of tomato paste, olives, rosemary, sweet potato wedges, feta cheese. Mixed together in a roasting dish, bake and serve. Would imagine this would work for cauliflower, or celeriac wedges instead of the sweet potato.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This recipe sounds good :)

Never heard it called this, but I have had it before - and it is delicious!
Must make it again.
The one I make often has peas in it, but I love her idea of red pepper too.

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
What type of lentils are giving you 30g of fiber? Standard ones are usually 8g per 100g boiled or were yours 100g dried? 20g of carbohydrates in a 100g boiled is a lot for some people 100g dried lentils must be the answer now Ive looked up raw lentils. 60g of carbohydrate is definately a large volume per 100g raw lentils. It would be more than my allowance per day lol

It was 100g dried. However, your question highlights how little I know on this subject. Forever learning, I guess.