KFC

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I love fried chicken and KFC is my goto fast food if I'm out & about (no fries or buns, obviously). But the effects on my sugars are completely unpredictable.
Sometimes the levels hardly move at all, and yesterday I spiked up to 10.

Does anybody else have a similar experience?

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love fried chicken and KFC is my goto fast food if I'm out & about (no fries or buns, obviously). But the effects on my sugars are completely unpredictable.
Sometimes the levels hardly move at all, and yesterday I spiked up to 10.

Does anybody else have a similar experience?
Do you take off the batter or eat that too? I haven't tried it since starting LCHF but our local ones always tasted revolting anyway.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
KFC is hit and miss, occasionally I like it - then an hour later I think why did I eat it :) does the 'original recipe' have a batter/breadcrumb coating - actually looking at the nutrition on their website the original pieces have 6/8 grams of carbs, so not as bad as I expected.

Might have to try it again (obvs only on one of those 'what the heck can I eat' days )

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you have a "Diet" soda? or just the chicken

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
One thought has occurred to me, and that's the different batters. The original chicken is a flour coating onto the chicken skin, whereas the boneless pieces are breadcrumbed. Might be worth an experiment to see if there's a noticeable difference!

Dear Forum, I'll undertake this important research on your behalf.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Wow you would do this for us!! Thank-you

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't eat those skinny little fries if you can avoid it. I have no trouble with the original recipe chicken but I have to be very careful of their fries.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is that you're still spiking, but it's not happening at the time you're testing.

Super high fat/high carb/high processed food can take a very long time to breakdown. In some instances, I didn't get a noticeable blood sugar rise until 3 hrs after taking my last bite. If I didn't have a CGM, I probably wouldn't otherwise be aware of it.

Long story short- KFC isn't the hidden secret to indulging without having to worry about hyperglycemia.

If you do intend to "experiment" with this, I'd test 10+ times and do it over the course of 3-4 hours (or possibly longer if you're still rising at that point).

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's that got to do with original recipe KFC:
Sarcasm translates poorly so I'm not sure if that was a joke or not.

According to the KFC website 3 pieces of original chicken (breast, drumstick, and thigh) has:
740 calories
45g fat
23g carbs
61g protein

The "extra crispy" version is:
810 calories
50g fat
25g carbs
64g protein

I personally define that as super high fat, high carb, and I certainly would call their food "processed." However, I suppose "high" is subjective.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Squire Fulwood I don't touch fries anymore, and in any case KFC never could make a decent chip!

@TorqPenderloin Thanks for that. I'll bear what you say about longer timescales in mind, although I remain to be convinced. The calorie mix you've outlined is about 56% fat, 32% protein and 12% carbs, and that's not too bad for LCHF considering this is meant to be a slightly naughty treat.

I think portion size is also a factor. You quote 3 pieces and I'll agree that all those carbs in one go could be problematic. Two pieces might be better, Maybe the breaded boneless stuff will be more suitable (although my hunch is that it will be worse).

Still, think of the fun I'm going to have finding out! :hungry::)

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think portion size is also a factor. You quote 3 pieces and I'll agree that all those carbs in one go could be problematic. Two pieces might be better, Maybe the breaded boneless stuff will be more suitable (although my hunch is that it will be worse).
This is about Kentucky...Fried...Chicken...the stuff is awful for you whether or not you have diabetes (and that's coming from an American).

I can respect occasionally deviating from your diet and enjoying something like this, but let's not try to pass it off as a potentially more healthy option simply because it doesn't raise your blood sugars. If you're going to eat it, then enjoy it, but obviously the less you eat the better.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This is about Kentucky...Fried...Chicken...the stuff is awful for you whether or not you have diabetes (and that's coming from an American).

I can respect occasionally deviating from your diet and enjoying something like this, but let's not try to pass it off as a potentially more healthy option simply because it doesn't raise your blood sugars. If you're going to eat it, then enjoy it, but obviously the less you eat the better.

Better to understand your indulgences, n'est pas?

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Over the next couple of weeks. I have to go in on at least two occasions (original v boneless breaded) and then test afterwards.

I swear, sometimes my life is hell.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Do you have Hot and Spicy Crumbed as well as original in the UK? If so you might need 3 trips (for the sake of the study)