Hypo hallucinations

Jadesloan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys, I'm a type 1 and I'm writing a play at the moment and would love to hear about people's crazy thoughts and hallucinations they have or used to have when having a hypo please. It may be used in the script. To start it off when I was little I used to think a giant Bugs Bunny was chasing me.
1460466327408.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jade. I havent ever had a hallucination but i did once shout at my boss for eating the last custard cream biscuit lol thank goodness he recognised i wasnt crazy and was actually having a hypo!

Reactions: 4 people

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't had hallucinations really, the only one I've had is has been holes appearing in the ceiling and the walls and that's only happened once! Your bugs bunny hypo sounds far more exciting tho!!

My mum always used to say "sugar plum fairies" repeatedly when she was low... Maybe her way of telling people she needed some sugar fairies to bring her sugar!!

Reactions: 3 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not had hypo hallucinations as such...but I remember very clearly a very vivid dream that I had not long before I was diagnosed...where I had a giant mug of hot chocolate complete with marshmallows chasing me down my road...most strange

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was once convinced that we were in the middle of a nuclear war, and that my mother was not interested in getting me to the bomb shelter. On another occasion, I believed that my wife was a ghost, and that she was intending serious harm upon me. Needless to say, that made it extremely difficult for her to persuade me to eat dextrose tablets.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Around 20 years ago, I went through a period of very bad nightmares. Those that continue after you eventually get back to sleep and usually, at least for me, the very worst and scariest of dreams. It came to a head after I was being chased in a nightmare by this creature. I remember it pushed me over a cliff edge and I could feel myself yelling out and falling. I woke up, covered in sweat but relieved it had been only another of those nightmares. Looking around the room the ‘creature’ that had pushed me was sitting in a chair opposite just staring at me.

I ran through into another part of the flat closing and locking whatever doors I could!

That morning I made an appointment to see the GP as I thought I was going mad. The doc said he was sure I might be taking hypos as I slept and the dreams were 'nature’s way' of waking me up to eat. I explained that the character sitting in my bedroom was, to me, very real. He said, with hallucinations, that would be the case.

His remedy was to start having more to eat before bed and it fixed the problem. NEVER do I want those type of nightmares again.

Bill

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the odd hallucination due to lack of sleep.. For instance I once saw a large chestnut mare (like a dray horse.) trotting down the middle of the road. Blinked, & it was gone. Somewhat based in reality since I was brought up around nags...

When low I've worked out some serous "Hawkin" mysteries of the universe stuff.. Some of it quite "ironic." Though forgotten by the time I'm back up... A couple I can vaguely remember is the "Big Bang" is part of some sort of "cell mutation" on an incomprehensibly huge but simple organism.. Or a minute part of a code in some sort of transmission??

I was also brought up in a "haunted" house & seen some weird stuff.. Not always while hypo..
Orbs, heavy footed running about, dark humanoid shapes, that sort of thing. But then so did other non D occupants & visitors too..
Funny enough. Another "hypo-thesis" (excuse the pun.) was that the "paranormal" experience in some people was an early indication of developing dementia in later life...?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No hallucinations but I do get visual disturbances which are identical to my migraine symptoms.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tripped out a couple of times in almost three decades, the last one I had was on holiday last year, i don't know whether it was the rapid drop in glucose levels and a bit of booze, but hell, it's rare but my state of mind was on a different planet.

I remember when I was 17, i walked to a local garage/petrol station for food, blood sugar rock bottom, picked up loads of chocolate. I was so spaced out, the person at the cash till thought i was stoned and offered me Rizzlers to roll a joint, I thought 'what' I just want the chocolate. I had tunnel vision if I remember correctly.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Once when I was a child I saw a cyberman (from the old Dr Who) in my bedroom, he came in and walked up to the bottom of the bed.

I screamed for my mam, she sorted the hypo out but I was traumasized for weeks and weeks as it was SO real

index.jpg

zed

I had one I could see fruit appearing from the wall. (Prob because I was in need to hypo treatment)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A hypo induced nightmare: A bit like a dead man switch/button, where you have to press the button every hour to keep whatever it is going, except I just had to stay awake, not move, and I was stuck in bed...............or the world would end - it was real to me at the time and I was awake........I think!

FrantaClaus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to army crawl while having a hypo when I was newly diagnosed. Don't know why, would just drop to the floor and army crawl everywhere. Uncontrollable.

Diabetic Krissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, horrible, stuck up people.
Haha I dyed my hair whilst watching the film occulus (not sure if that is spelt right) during the night I had a hypo and walked past the mirror in my hall (forgetting I dyed my hair) and was convinced there was a women in the mirror trying to kill me -_- luckily my partner came down when I screamed and sorted me out haha.... that's the one and only time I haven't fixed a hypo myself.... was too scared to walk past the mirror hahaha

Diabetic Krissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, horrible, stuck up people.
Around 20 years ago, I went through a period of very bad nightmares. Those that continue after you eventually get back to sleep and usually, at least for me, the very worst and scariest of dreams. It came to a head after I was being chased in a nightmare by this creature. I remember it pushed me over a cliff edge and I could feel myself yelling out and falling. I woke up, covered in sweat but relieved it had been only another of those nightmares. Looking around the room the ‘creature’ that had pushed me was sitting in a chair opposite just staring at me.

I ran through into another part of the flat closing and locking whatever doors I could!

That morning I made an appointment to see the GP as I thought I was going mad. The doc said he was sure I might be taking hypos as I slept and the dreams were 'nature’s way' of waking me up to eat. I explained that the character sitting in my bedroom was, to me, very real. He said, with hallucinations, that would be the case.

His remedy was to start having more to eat before bed and it fixed the problem. NEVER do I want those type of nightmares again.

Bill
I had a very similar thing happen but it was before I was diabetic... I had a nightmare I was kidnapped and tortured and woke up to a man standing at the end of my bed pointing a gun at me.... My partner managed to calm me down and get me out from under the duvet (Yup... I hid under the duvet as though it would stop a bullet!) Telling me that there was no one there but it was SO REAL!! I can still remember every detail of the man to this day... Freaked me out but luckily it hasn't happened since! Just normal nightmares haha.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once when I was a child I saw a cyberman (from the old Dr Who) in my bedroom, he came in and walked up to the bottom of the bed.

I screamed for my mam, she sorted the hypo out but I was traumasized for weeks and weeks as it was SO real

View attachment 18512

Wow. Cybermen..?!

I used to see dark shaped "toilet men" as a kid. In the waking hours. One stood behind the sofa while I was alone watching TV one early evening..
Years later an ex swore blind she woke one night to see two shrouded figures at the foot of the bed. One of which pointed at me..?
Another time a "dark figure" was crouched over my side of the bed stroking my back.. So she says...
Though I did wake myself to see a late 19th century burly farm labourer stood in her doorway. I could literally "photo fit" the guy if I needed too.? He just stood filling the door for a few seconds like he'd come home & caught me in bed with his wife!! Then disappeared..

image.jpeg

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In the bathroom, really low blood glucose and looking at the floor which had black flecks in the design, could see them moving and I even tried stepping on them, it's a strange world hypoland.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
its a terrible place so glad I do not get these things anymore

Adamdiggle1

Don't know if anyone is still on this thread but I've been looking for something like this for a while, when I was younger I used to be terrible at monitoring my blood sugar which led to multiple hypos. I remember dreaming about being on a rollercoaster but it was like a repeated fall with lots of weird shapes around me and I could feel the air on me when it dropped down, I would always wake up sweating in a panic. I've watched a lot of Joe Rogan's podcasts where him and guests have discussed the psychedelic dmt, I know our bodies produce it naturally, I'm just wondering if they could be connected?

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh, this has reminded me about the hypo dream I had. I was convinced I could see the outline of one of the spider ships from the Babylon 5 series just visible thtough the bedroom curtains. Very scary.