Help!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Nosher. I've never tried fasting, I always need to eat within an hour of waking. Fasting is a scary prospect for me! Unfortunately I might find out sooner than I'd like. My daughter has been sick all over me tonight. Even went down my top! If I don't catch the bug, I'll be amazed!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Nosher. I've never tried fasting, I always need to eat within an hour of waking. Fasting is a scary prospect for me! Unfortunately I might find out sooner than I'd like. My daughter has been sick all over me tonight. Even went down my top! If I don't catch the bug, I'll be amazed!

If I hadn't done my hospital fast, I would have been sceptical..
A fast can be anything from two hours to a few days.
But, I have to fast from waking. Once I start eating that's it for the rest of the day, even though I don't come out of ketosis, I've found that I feel worse after a couple of hours.
If I start from waking, I could fast for Britain and not feel hungry and my energy levels are great.
Intermittent fasting is good for my working life.
Have a good look at that as it does mean eating fewer meals a day.
Also it saves money!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I've caught the stomach bug . Both ends im afraid!

Obviously I'll have to keep an eye on my bs levels but my concern is dehydration. Water on its own isn't necessarily the best thing in these circumstances, but not sure if we should have the rehydration sachets? Any ideas?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm sorry to hear that @Kaz261!

I'm not sure, only water, I would have assumed.
If you have one of those sachets for your youngsters, have a read of the pharmaceutical leaflet and contents. There may be some sugars, just as a short term boost as there is in most meds. My endo, said to only take paracetamol, but I dot think that is applicable here.
Yes, do look after yourself, only in an emergency would I have anything that is liable to kick off the hypos.

I would take little pieces of food, and I mean little, to get you back to eating properly.
I would drink copious amounts of water or tea/coffee, unless the caffeine is bad for you.
I would like you to add your own experience of what happens when one of us has been as ill as you sound, so you can use that knowledge for others who find themselves in the same predicament.

Hope you are feeling better soon. (And the kids, of course!)

Reactions: 2 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Nosher. I will post something when I'm feeling more with it. It's really knocked me for six! Been in bed all day, only getting out for bathroom visits and then I'm very weak, achey and light headed.

On the positive side I fasted for 15.5 hours, drinking only water and my bs stayed mid 4 to high 4's the whole time. Felt rotten though at those levels but that could be the bug of course.

Doctor told me not to drink too much water and tea and coffee not good because of the caffeine being a diuretic.

He said it was important to eat so I've had a couple of grapes every half hour or so and sipped very slowly on some no added sugar high juice squash (in between water). It has a tiny amount of sugar in it (more than standard squash) and has kept my levels nicely in the low 5's which I'm more comfortable with.

Thanks for your advice. It's just so nice to know there's somewhere to turn when things are tricky.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Nosher. I will post something when I'm feeling more with it. It's really knocked me for six! Been in bed all day, only getting out for bathroom visits and then I'm very weak, achey and light headed.

On the positive side I fasted for 15.5 hours, drinking only water and my bs stayed mid 4 to high 4's the whole time. Felt rotten though at those levels but that could be the bug of course.

Doctor told me not to drink too much water and tea and coffee not good because of the caffeine being a diuretic.

He said it was important to eat so I've had a couple of grapes every half hour or so and sipped very slowly on some no added sugar high juice squash (in between water). It has a tiny amount of sugar in it (more than standard squash) and has kept my levels nicely in the low 5's which I'm more comfortable with.

Thanks for your advice. It's just so nice to know there's somewhere to turn when things are tricky.

The fasting part is fascinating, if you can do it again tomorrow, that will help with being sick at both ends!!!!
I would have the juice very diluted. To take the sting out of the sugar.

Hope you better tomorrow (and the kids).

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks mate. My husband has it now too and my youngest who started with it 6 days ago has been sick again tonight . It never rains.... Eh?!!